YOUR FAVORITE CARPENTERS ALBUM

YOUR FAVORITE CARPENTERS ALBUM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I fixed the poll to add the Live in Japan album. I thought about adding The Singles 1969-1973 too, since it really is constructed like an album and not just a compilation, but decided not to muddy the waters further.

I voted these 4 as I consider them to be the core of my favorite Carpenters albums.

Horizon (her voice on the album is the best I've ever heard, my 70's LP is like she is in the same room as me)

Lovelines (it still feels very fresh sounding like they are still with us today making music, songs flow perfectly)

Voice of the Heart (when I feel down this album always lifts me up and I always feel closer to Karen, the ending is one of the most heartfelt and poignant readings I've ever heard from Karen. It's almost like a story but one that she has a way of giving me this security blanket that no matter how hard the world may get, don't ever forget to Look To Your Dreams" they could mean more than they seem. I know with this song I've been changed for the better)

Christmas Portrait (This is the ultimate Christmas album of all time in my opinion, I look forward to this every holiday. I could never live without it. Even when it appears on random in my library I will usually let the track play even if it's summertime.

^^Nice to see Voice of the Heart appreciated !
I'll confess, I have always liked the album quite a bit.
Look To Your Dreams is an incredibly beautiful reading, Karen in 1978.
Hard to fathom the song went nearly ten years between its inception (1974) and its ultimate release (1983).
At The End Of A Song is another heartfelt reading by Karen, a song too often ignored.
Voice of the Heart is a very good album created and completed
under very trying circumstances.

Look To Your Dreams is an incredibly beautiful reading

I agree, but I find the lyrics almost impossible to get away with.

I once played the song for a friend and she repeated the opening lines out loud...

"To say I'm romantic would be quite semantically true/
But make believe passion has fallen from fashion's milieu"

...and said "what kind of nonsense is that?". Of course, she wasn't a fan like I am, but that comment always stuck with me. It's really a mouthful when you say it back to yourself (the choruses however are better).

I agree, but I find the lyrics almost impossible to get away with.

I once played the song for a friend and she repeated the opening lines out loud...

"To say I'm romantic would be quite semantically true/
But make believe passion has fallen from fashion's milieu"

...and said "what kind of nonsense is that?". Of course, she wasn't a fan like I am, but that comment always stuck with me. It's really a mouthful when you say it back to yourself (the choruses however are better).
Well, there's no accounting for taste, is there? I hope you did the right thing and cut her out of your life immediately. :rotf:

So, I took the title of the thread literally. CLOSE TO YOU might not be the best album, but it is my favorite. I never skip any track, and it's the one I play for non fans. The variety and adventurous nature are wonderful. It's just a fun good record.

If I was to ponder which are the best albums, I'd probably concede to a tie between A SONG FOR YOU and HORIZON. I love those too. That is my top three, in fact.

My criteria being; how much I go to an album on a whim? I narrowed it to CTY and O/TTR (I really like their early stuff). The winner is CTY.
Right on! I find Offering to be the album that fits all of my moods. Whether I want to study blistering drum chops and amazing stick control (Your Wonderful Parade, All I Can Do), deep, rich ballad vocals (Eve, Someday), higher energy jamming (Clancy), sweet, basic ear candy (Don't Be Afraid, Get Together) or even atmosphere and ambiance (Invocation, Benediction), Offering is always the record I can put on and I get something different from it each time I hear it. Even though I favor Horizon overall, Offering is a very close second, and depending on the day I'm having, it sometimes takes the lead for a little bit.

I find Offering to be the album that fits all of my moods. Whether I want to study blistering drum chops and amazing stick control (Your Wonderful Parade, All I Can Do), deep, rich ballad vocals (Eve, Someday), higher energy jamming (Clancy), sweet, basic ear candy (Don't Be Afraid, Get Together) or even atmosphere and ambiance (Invocation, Benediction), Offering is always the record I can put on and I get something different from it each time I hear it.

For a debut album, Offering has an amazing variety of styles within its content. It always saddens me when I think of how they started out, compared to where they ended up by the late seventies. In 1969, they must have been on the crest of a wave, brimming with talent, ecstatic to finally get a record deal and record an album, release singles, go out on tour and achieve worldwide adulation and success. Fast forward to 1978 and there they were: exhausted, worn down by the relentless schedule, abusing quaaludes and laxatives and worst of all, no longer reaching the top ten. Fame can certainly take its toll and it reminds you that they were only human like the rest of us. Look at what happened to the likes of Amy Winehouse and Elvis. Artists that come through such fame and fortune and emerged unscathed on the other side are surely to be admired.

It is difficult to decide for me:
On one side, there's the Offering album, which is practically the only album where they actually sound like a duo, with Karen and Richard sharing the leads, singing and playing their main instruments, and playing a great variety of styles and genres; several of these characteristics will disappear as the years and albums kept coming. Recently, I hear this album in full more often than the others.
Then there's their self-titled album, which I think all of its songs are really good, though it recycles partially a song from the second album, and the album length it is too short; I have always felt that it needed one more song. This one has my favorite song of them, the should-have-been single ''Let Me Be The One''.
And then, its follow-up comes, which it's probably their peak and the album with more hits than any other album; I do like all the songs (''Hurting Each Other'' its my second favorite song of them), though I feel the pacing drags towards the end; this slow pacing problem though was more pronounced on Close To You and later with Horizon where it lasts practically the entire album (though that one has ''Happy'', another of my favorites).
Finally, there is Christmas Portrait, which is a magnificent work of art; it can be heard the hard work and love they put to all these Christmas tunes. Ave Maria (without choir) is one of Karen's highlights of her career.

Still, my absolute favorite for me isn't on the list because it lists Carpenters albums only.

My favourite has to be `LOVELINES`, I just think it`s a beautifully put together album and the one I enjoy listening to the most! Second would be `VOICE OF THE HEART`.

Back
Top Bottom