Your favorite Karen Carpenter vocal performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently been digging on Karen's performance of "I Believe You" from "Made In America". I never realized how good it is. It really resonates. She absolutely soars in the choruses. It's a very powerful vocal from someone who was really quite frail at the time.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
I've recently been digging on Karen's performance of "I Believe You" from "Made In America". I never realized how good it is. It really resonates. She absolutely soars in the choruses. It's a very powerful vocal from someone who was really quite frail at the time.

Ed

Yeah, But "I believe you" was recorded during the Xmas Portrait sessions in 1978, when she was less frail and her vocals were still very much 'top notch'. The MIA album was released in 1981 when she was noticeably much more frail...

Calvin R Murty said:
ThaFunkyFakeTation said:

Ed

Yeah, But "I believe you" was recorded during the Xmas Portrait sessions in 1978, when she was less frail and her vocals were still very much 'top notch'. The MIA album was released in 1981 when she was noticeably much more frail...

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for the tip-off. No wonder she sounded so wonderful on that song.

Ed

mr J. said:
CALVIN- you mentioned "Xmas portrait":winkgrin:id you mean "Christmas Portrait"?

I think we have been through this before, but I can re-fresh your memory. Although the album is called Christmas Portrait, it is still ok to write it Xmas not only does it save you time in writing X has a special meaning:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In early Greek versions of the New Testament, the letter Χ (chi), is the first letter of Christ. Since the mid-16th century Χ, or the similar Roman letter X, was used as an abbreviation for Christ.[2] Hence, Xmas is often used as an abbreviation for Christmas

Hopefully this puts this to rest for the 2nd time on this forum. :)

Earlier I had mentioned "HYAMLC" as an awesome KC reading (which it is.) But one other really stands out without even trying. In fact Karen's conversational ease makes it seem "easy." But have you ever tried singing (or Gosh Forbid! Heard someone try to sing) "All You Get From Love Is A Love Song?" Great example of an amazing artist doing such a good job she makes it seem effortless.

CHRIS- where in the Bible does it mention that X is an abbreviation for Christ?Actually,people use X as a substitute for "Christ".When someone uses the title "Xmas Portrait",they're really trying to take "Christ" out of the title,and,after all-isn't that what Christmas is all about?

Does it really matter? All we're talking about at the end of the day is an album title :).If someone chooses to take a short cut and write 'Xmas', it's hardly a major crime. (Also Chris didn't mention the bible :wink:)

I won't even touch the 'X' topic - suffice it to say anyone can use any form they like. Last time I checked this was a free country.

Keeping the original topic in mind, someone mentioned I Believe You as one of their finer vocal performances. I never enjoyed it the 'first' time around, but loved it after hearing it on SACD - I believe it was an alternate take. Can anyhone verifiy this for sure? Unfortunately I've moved and my SACD player is no longer in use - perhaps one day again. If I'm not mistaken there were different words used at some point on the record.

Note: Religious discussions of any type are not allowed on the forum. Further conversation on the "meaning of X" should be taken to e-mail or PM. Thank you. - Moderator Mike

I never enjoyed it the 'first' time around, but loved it after hearing it on SACD - I believe it was an alternate take

It wasn't alternate lyrics or anything, but yes one of Karen's overdubs used was an alternate take not featured on the finished song. We *ahem* got the stripped down version in all its glory on another site :wink:

Thanks for the 411 Stephen - interesting stuff!

I'd love a week or two of access to the Carpenters tapes to hear all the alternate takes, etc. What a goldmine.

My favorite Karen vocal would have to be either Ticket To Ride or Desperado. It's so hard to decide though. I guess I'd choose Ticket To Ride. That's the song I would play to people to showcase Karen's wondrous voice.

"DON'T TELL ME NOT TO LIVE JUST SIT AND PUTTA. LIFE'S CANDY AND THE SUN'S A BALL OF BUTTA" - Barbra Streisand

Depends if you're listening to Barbra, or watching Mrs Doubtfire :laughup:

Personally I can't ever hear that song now without picturing Robin Williams dressed as a woman :tongue:

MIKE B.-A&M CORNER is an "open forum",and,as such,almost any topic can be introduced that might relate to the artist being discussed."Christmas Portrait" is a religious album-one that features Hymns and Sacred songs.(the title alone is "religious").Any discussion about Christmas Portrait can certainly revolve around it's "religious" content .

I'm sorry to have to correct you on this!

mr J. said:
MIKE B.-A&M CORNER is an "open forum",and,as such,almost any topic can be introduced that might relate to the artist being discussed."Christmas Portrait" is a religious album-one that features Hymns and Sacred songs.(the title alone is "religious").Any discussion about Christmas Portrait can certainly revolve around it's "religious" content .

I'm sorry to have to correct you on this!

A&M Corner is not totally "open". It *is* within the guidelines set forth in the rules. I suggest that you read the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS or FAQ linked at the top of virtually every page.

http://forum.amcorner.com/faq.php

You'll find that discussions of religion. politics, and other issues deemed sensitive by a moderator are not permitted. Please drop this issue or a nice thread will have to be closed.

Harry
...and the A&M Corner moderating staff...

It's funny how some of the simplest Carpenters songs were some of the best ones for showcasing Karen's voice. The "Good Friends Are For Keeps" song (in the Essentials collection) comes to mind -- I wouldn't say it's my favourite performance of Karen's, but it's magical nonetheless.

There IS an Alternate Lyric/take on the SACD of I Believe You, but only one phrase of a verse... "when you TELL ME every time that we make love, will be the first time we've made love and every act of love will please you" THAT is the alternate take for the SACD version. Karen sang "when SAY THAT everyitme that we make love will be the first time..." on the Made In America original version. Her phrasing is different on the SACD segment as well. Check it out. Yes, different background additions, or subtractions were also featured on the SACD. Listen and compare.

"Rainy Days" would have to be the quintessential recording. Funny, though, I guess I hadn't noticed the brilliance of "You're the One" or "Ordinary Fool" till I read all the other responses. But then, with so many magic performances, how could I remember them all?""

i think id have to pick solitaire, major chill factor.
or make believe its your first time from karens solo lp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom