Your favorite lesser-known Bacharach/David favorites

Wives and Lovers became quite an antiquated lyric by the time the 70s rolled around. So it's no surprise that it doesn't appear on recordings over the past couple of decades. (It could also be partly why Burt reinvented it on his self-titled A&M album.) One of my favorites there is the Jack Jones version--I bet the album it's from was quite the "make out" album back then. :laugh:

I do like "Any Day Now" and I agree--it's another that hasn't gotten much attention lately.

Wives and Lovers became quite an antiquated lyric by the time the 70s rolled around. So it's no surprise that it doesn't appear on recordings over the past couple of decades. (It could also be partly why Burt reinvented it on his self-titled A&M album.) One of my favorites there is the Jack Jones version--I bet the album it's from was quite the "make out" album back then. :laugh:

I do like "Any Day Now" and I agree--it's another that hasn't gotten much attention lately.
I agree on both counts and to my knowledge the last time "Any Day Now" got attention was with Ronnie Milsap's version back in 1982 ( i remember that one got Tons of airplay on both Top 40 and Country Stations everywhere) quite a Crossover Hit in it's Time.

I always wondered why, on the Bacharach version, he sings "Time to get ready for..." and then "love" is replaced by a big orchestral blast. Time to get ready for music, maybe? :wink:

I always wondered why, on the Bacharach version, he sings "Time to get ready for..." and then "love" is replaced by a big orchestral blast. Time to get ready for music, maybe? :wink:
I Think you are Right i first heard Burt's wives and lovers when i was 10 and thats what i was thinking and his was the first version of the song i ever heard. I was unaware of Jack jones or anyone else's version at that time.

Burt's was the first I heard also. My mother had mentioned Dionne in passing (saying she sang a lot of the Bacharach/David tunes), yet we never owned any of Dionne's records. So I sort of figured that with a song title like that, there must be something out there that had lyrics to which the title made sense.

That Rhino box set really was the eye opener. It was like the "gateway drug" for all of the other recordings out there.

What's really awkward is hearing Dionne sing "Wives and Lovers." :laugh:

It is very interesting to hear any female sing it due to the lyrics. Julie London did a great cover as well on her 1964 self-titled album. Different time back then.

Rumer also cut it for her upcoming Bacharach/David tribute album. It's not on the album itself, but was released as the "b-side" to the first single "Balance of Nature."

I just recently discovered "Send Me No Flowers" by Burt & Hal and like it very much. It's also the name of the Doris Day/Rock Hudson movie.

Another song mentioned that I like Is Pacific Coast Highway I first heard it being used as Background music on A Public tv Station in 1977 and later in my shortwave radio listening days I heard it used on American Forces radio and television service AFRTS Radio service as a fill in audio between programs and they used a lot of Jazz and A&M instrumentals in their programming between 1979 and 1985 When I was heavily into shortwave

"Whoever You Are, I Love You" from Promises, Promises is a real standout. More so, the lyrics. How Hal David put so much conflict into one song...

Mike B. mentioned it earlier, but I also like "Everybody's Out Of Town", a fun record from 1970.

Wonder if anyone heard of the late Arthur Fiedler & The Boston Pops "Bond Street" which is amazing (which came out in 1972 on Polydor). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

This is easy... "WINTER WARM". My favorite winter / Christmas tune ever. Best version is by Kiz Harp, but the Gale Storm version is nice as well.

@Actorman mentioned it above, but I've recently re-discovered "I'm A Better Man (For Having Loved You)" by Engelbert Humperdinck. The song was written by Bacharach and David specifically for Engelbert. In the US, on the main Billboard chart, it only made it to #38 - just barely eeking into the Top 40, but it was all over Adult Contemporary radio rising to #6. I recall it often lumped in on "Bacharach Weekends" on my favorite radio station.

The single was released in the US on the Parrot label and in the UK on Decca.

I happen to have a thing for "Wives And Lovers", even though it's so emphatically un-p.c. now (was it EVER p.c.? - lol) It's very much a product of its time, but still, musically it's really fun to play and sing. And gotta hand it to Hal David - even when writing about questionable subject matter, he could knock it out of the park with some great word play and imagery.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one yet: "Let Me Go To Him"

Here is another song from Bacharach/David that never gets airplay anymore.
The April Fools sung by Dionne Warwick in the soundtrack of the same title movie.
Back in the late 60's/early 70's it got a lot of airtime on the radio.

Back
Top Bottom