Your First Carpenters Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitarmutt

Excuse me if this thread already exists. I looked, but I did not see one that is open.

Like so many, I was drawn in by the Christmas music. I'd heard their music on the radio a lot while growing up in Chicago, and I particularly have strong memories of 'Merry Christmas, Darling' and 'Sleigh Ride'. Then my mother decided to move to the desert much to my chagrin! Much!!

I was in the French Club in high school, and we were having a sidewalk sale. We all brought things to sell. Then I saw it! I was leafing through all items, and Christmas Portrait jumped out at me. $.50 for the vinyl record. It was nowhere near Christmas, but I devoured that record. I missed Chicago dearly, and the Carpenters gave me a wintry balm in that desert climate I disliked so much.

And here I am today.

My story has been detailed elsewhere, but I'll give a short version here.

I'd heard the song "Ticket To Ride" on the radio and liked it, but missed the opportunity to tape it. When the next single "Close To You" was beginning to get airplay, I was perusing a store , noticed that it was on Herb Alpert's A&M, and immediately purchased the single. The I awaited the album release, bought that, and my sister found OFFERING for me as a Christmas gift. Thereafter, every album release was made on or close to release day. I skipped singles if the were already on albums.

Harry

First purchase for me was a cassette of A Kind of Hush in March '92 (parents already had UK 1990 release Only Yesterday). Our Price Music Store in the MetroCenter in North-East of England.

Single of "We've Only Just Begun" (which actually I heard today on the radio)- in 1970.

Single of "We've Only Just Begun" (which I still have, though most of my other 45s from that period eventually became Frisbees or art projects).

I was late. I was given "Close To You" and "Carpenters" on cassette by my mother in 1989. I replaced them with CD's a short time later and I've been hooked since.

Ed

First Purchase: Sing, single in the spring of 1973... First album, ever, Now & Then... That purchase remains one of the favorite memories of my youth...

My sister had Close To You and Carpenters, and my brother had A Song For You - so I enjoyed the other albums immensely. I was the only obsessed one though - so when Now & Then came out, I bought it - and every album from then on - with the exception of "The Singles" which was a Christmas Gift from my parents....

I can still remember the smell of those albums when you took the cellophane off. Particularly, The Singles, where I believe the brown ink carried more of the printing aroma...

My sister had every Carpenters album, except Ticket To Ride. My first ever album purchase was, of course, a Carpenters album: Singles: 1969-1973. I bought it in late summer, 1985. I loved the “Close To You” false-intro and how the familiar songs segued together, and up to that point, I’d never heard the duo’s take on “Ticket To Ride.” I loved the giant photo of the siblings on the bridge on that album, and a neighbor eventually gave me her old copy, which included a smaller lyric booklet. Does anybody know where the bridge photo was taken?

Mine was the South African Only Yesterday: Richard and Karen Carpenter's Greatest Hits on cassette along with Lovelines cassette on the same day.

First single: Rainy Days & Mondays during it's climb up the charts. First album: The tan album, complete with the Grammy Award Winner sticker on the front. Then bought Close to You and Ticket to Ride albums, and every album and single thereafter. I would even buy new singles if I already had the songs on albums, trying to help get them back on top of the charts.

Wow! Awesome! Thank you all! This is fun. The only thing I neglected to mention was the time frame. We moved from Chicago in 1983, and I think I bought Christmas Portrait in 1987, pretty much.

The internet is an amazing thing, and I think Karen would have loved it.

My mother bought the 45 single of "Close To You" around the Summer or Fall of 1970. The album "Carpenters" (tan) in late 1971. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

My parents had the album Close To You and I was hooked, they gave me the Carpenters albums A Song For You and Carpenters, and my first purchase with my own money was the 45rpm "Sing" .

My parents had the album Close To You and I was hooked, they gave me the Carpenters albums A Song For You and Carpenters, and my first purchase with my own money was the 45rpm "Sing" .
I always thought the painting of Karen on the inside of N & T must have been taken from the Sing single sleeve photo shoot... cause it looked like she had those pigtails in the portrait.

N
My sister had every Carpenters album, except Ticket To Ride. My first ever album purchase was, of course, a Carpenters album: Singles: 1969-1973. I bought it in late summer, 1985. I loved the “Close To You” false-intro and how the familiar songs segued together, and up to that point, I’d never heard the duo’s take on “Ticket To Ride.” I loved the giant photo of the siblings on the bridge on that album, and a neighbor eventually gave me her old copy, which included a smaller lyric booklet. Does anybody know where the bridge photo was taken?

Not sure where I'm remembering this from, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the bridge photo was taken in the garden of the Newville home.

Aha! After Aunty Carole gave Aunty Laurie the lp CLOSE TO YOU Xmas 1970 at Grandpa Newberg's in Kelso, Wa. 45 minutes N of Portland I beat feet to my very own copy. The 1st of many CTY lp's, cd's, cassette's 8 trax oh ya and that DBX thing.
Being a boy of 7 in '70 (stop adding...the math reads 51) I remember that Karen's cover shot showed what I thought was brassiere. I wasn't necessarily tit friendly even then but I stared at those boobs for the longest time. I liked her bangs and that unusual voice then blended begat the harmony in heaven and me wee bitty ears.

Jeff

Although I heard and enjoyed their previous hits (in the day...), my first purchase was the tan album, followed by the earlier releases, then the subsequent releases (all albums, most singles).

Nerd Alert!!! I actually cut out the picture of Karen and Richard from inside the tan album, framed it, and displayed it. Still have it... Am I the only one?

First glimpse of the album CarpenterS I was jazzed with that logo. As the story goes 30 years later I carry the logo permanently inked on my person. The reveal reaction is always good for the Karen 'plug'. Anyhow the envelope of the tan lp so unique with Grammy Winner proudly in tow possessed the ultimate surprise when I opened that flap all the while wondering what that strange one inch slit to be. The unveiling of the lovely C's portrait. Rich's haircut appeared greasy not trendsetting but shirt cool. Karen is ravishing and the rich purple fabric of her dress was stunning and popped during initial display. A display that had me scratching my head on assembly. Had to buy another soon as the envelope began warping and was defaced by hidden scotch tape supports. As with all lp's 1st copy played to death necessitating needle change for good measure. 2nd copy became player while 3rd was for recording. All subsequents no matter the medium due to reckless abandon coveting everything obsessively. Quite successfully I add. Here I find myself in eager anticipation of a full catalog release including all solo's with outtakes on SACD. I'll sell my left n•• if called for. I'd offer kidney but less scarring nutwise.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom