Your funeral music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said since discovering the Carpenters, that I want the 1978 version of Ave Maria played at my funeral. (I'm only 43 and in good health.)

That's a great topic! What Carpenters songs would you like to have included at your own funeral playing? I'd HAVE to go with Close to you since that's the song my family and friends would relate to me the most.

Being ready or not is irrelevant when the time has come, PLUS speaking of one's own funeral is irrelevant to when it will take place.

Oh! Look to your dreams, of course! The thing with it is that my non english speaking family and friends would not get the feeling of the lyrics regarding the circumstances, to them it would just sound as a lovely song to mourn to.

It would have to be "A Song for You", hands down.
The complete song is about ever lasting undying love. Just beautiful!

A Song for You reprise would have to played at the end, just like in the KC story. Very poignant and fitting finale.

I would take "Rainy Days And Mondays"...

The very sad tone is what I can hear when I think of Karen's death (and what caused it)...

And I even sung out the "funny that it seems that it's the only thing to do" part (and I should have used something more resembling Karen's voice, than a 'male OK chorale'-esque take I belted it w/ instead) when there was an attempt for some young lady to buy some "dieting product" w/o "Proof of Age", and had to decline selling it... Although she looked like the "required 18", and as for any "need"--Well--... :shrug:

But at any rate, I surely like this sort of a chapter in life to be least thought about and sorry to have had to elaborate my thoughts in that kind of manner... Just something this sort of topic can gravely point out to...

-- Dave

"Sometimes" would be my choice. Sparse arrangement plus poignant lyrics make this recording an appropriate selection.

Um, weddings come to mind as far as Carpenters go. Never considered any of their songs to be funereal.

For me it would have to be 'A Song For You'. It's a love song but in this context, it would be the perfect goodbye.

Interesting.
Friends and family have often mentioned to me that I would have--and only have--
Carpenters music playing at any function upon my ultimate demise.
However, my wish is to have no function whatsoever to mark the occasion.
And, friends and family--all-- agree--that, any time they 'hear' any Carpenters' song,
they listen-- then, they 'think' of me. That is the only memorial I need.
So long as they associate my 'being' with the beauty of Carpenters' music, and, so long
as that music is played and heard, not only will Carpenters 'live forever', so will I.

But at any rate, I surely like this sort of a chapter in life to be least thought about and sorry to have had to elaborate my thoughts in that kind of manner... Just something this sort of topic can gravely point out to...

It's just for fun, really. We have hardly any control over life, let alone death (funerals included). Write your chapters as well as you can, let the epilogue to others.

And when I die... it is a marvelous song to be heard at a service even with the Satan, Demon blah-blah-blah, still... I don't know, it's the sort of song you want to clap to and sing along, can't picture my funeral attendants in the mood. I may be wrong though, LOL!

Funny, but I don't want any Carpenters music at my funeral. I work for an opera company and also sing with a large chorus, so I expect only live music. One of the pieces I expect to be sung at my funeral is from Eternal Light: A Requiem, by Howard Goodall.

I don't think I'd ever want any Carpenters songs played at my funeral. My funeral song of choice for about 30 years has been The Alan Parson's Project's "Old And Wise" from the Eye In The Sky album. It's a great piece of music and a terrific lyric:

As far as my eyes can see
There are shadows surrounding me
And to those I leave behind
I want you all to know
You've always shared my darkest hours
I'll miss you when I go

And oh, when I'm old and wise
Heavy words that tossed and blew me
Like autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine
As the final curtain falls before my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise

I don't think I'd ever want any Carpenters songs played at my funeral. My funeral song of choice for about 30 years has been The Alan Parson's Project's "Old And Wise" from the Eye In The Sky album. It's a great piece of music and a terrific lyric:

As far as my eyes can see
There are shadows surrounding me
And to those I leave behind
I want you all to know
You've always shared my darkest hours
I'll miss you when I go

And oh, when I'm old and wise
Heavy words that tossed and blew me
Like autumn winds will blow right through me
And someday in the mist of time
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine
As the final curtain falls before my eyes
Oh when I'm old and wise
[/QUOTE]
Now that is a blast from the past. That song always did sound like it belonged at a memorial service. In fact the way he sang most songs had a rather other worldly feeling.

A Song For You is probably the only Carpenters tune that would be considered appropriate. Unless you wanted to play the deceased's favorite Carpenters song.
The Corrs "Angel" was written after the death of their mother and has some of Andrea's best lyrics:
"And when I go to sleep at night
I'll thank you for each blessed thing surrounding me
For every fall I'll ever break
Each moment's breath I want to taste
Confidence and conscience, decadent extravagance
Never ending providence, for loving when I had the chance"
It's not a sad melody though . . . not her style

Weddings come to mind as far as Carpenters go.

In which case, I would want "For All We Know" by them, to play during the procession...

And of course, like how "We've Only Just Begun" was depicted for the end of the ceremony and rice throwing in the Paul Williams-written jingle for the Crocker Bank commercial, I would likely figure it being in the Carpenters form (though it sounds a bit too accelerated, to me, unless it's perhaps a version by Mark Lindsey, Andy Williams or Billy Eckstein) to be fit for mine...!

-- Dave

Hello, everyone :) I've been reading this forum for a couple of years and finally decided to join in the conversation a little. On the subject of this thread, I was thinking that if you just consider the title, and not the content of the song, a perfect choice would be "Where do I go from here". That is, unless you KNOW you're headed in one direction or the other. :laugh:
And on a related subject,i was surfing youtube, in particular the Watchmojo videos, and finally found Karen in the "Honorable Mention" part of the subject "Top 10 musicians who died too soon" I, of course, would have placed her at number one. Thank you for your indulgence in reading my random thoughts.
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom