Your Herb Reissue Pecking Order

Here's something to think about - don't snooze and think you're going to get these CDs too far down the road. In 2-3 years, CDs will likely not be issued any more! The good news - the re-issues will be very reasonably priced.
CDs are fading away. :agree: Common used CDs don't even move much at the used stores anymore. I second this--buy them soon, and don't expect them to be there in five or ten years time. It will be nice if they are still around but if not, it's like all the other CDs we have all missed over the years--you snooze, you lose! Then it's back to $300 a pop for Fandango. :D

These reissues are good for collectors/completists, so the copies I don't buy can go to someone who hasn't heard the music before (which is where these releases are being targeted).

As for pricing, the high-res files when on sale cost about the same as a full-priced $15 CD (the last HDTracks sale I caught was 20% off). A bargain considering it's the same quality they used in the studio when remastering these titles. The vinyl titles should sound superb, given they are being sourced directly from the analog masters.

Ah, but it was. CD 5082. Mine was pressed in West Germany.
I don't even recall seeing it on vinyl. Although I know it was, since later albums were released on vinyl. I had this on CD when it came out--a gift, if I recall.

On digital, I've never been able to figure out what would be best. I only use a Apple stuff. Don't have Pomo. And don't own software for conversions though I've wondered if there's freeware available for this.

If you went the HDTracks route, you could download the albums as an apple lossless file (ALAC) and they will open right in the software. FLAC is more standard, and there are players and utilities for OSX and IOS that would handle those, some of them likely being freeware. I've use the JRiver player on both Windows 10 and OSX (it is identical) but it is not a free player. But, it plays most formats I throw at it, which is what I need.

Question: If a person downloads HDTracks and then makes a CD from those tracks, will it sound better than a CD directly from the reissue program?

Question: If a person downloads HDTracks and then makes a CD from those tracks, will it sound better than a CD directly from the reissue program?

It won't sound better since the digital is being downsampled to 16-bit, 44.1kHz. At that point it's a matter of nitpicking--was the studio's downsampling superior (or better sounding) compared to what I can do at home? It probably is. It's a difference even I probably couldn't hear--it's very minor.

I see it more as upward compatibility or future-proofing my purchase. If I still used CD players, I would get the HDTracks files, downsample and burn to disc, while still having that original high-res for future use on compatible equipment.

I have put in my pre-orders on Amazon.UK, I was going to buy ALL of the CD's but here in the UK they are much dearer than I thought - £14.99 instead of roughly £9 in the US ! So I have ordered all of the TJB CD's plus Rise. Herb's solo CD's will have to wait until I can afford them ! I could have bought them from Amazon US but then I would have to pay a customs and excise duty on them.

CDs are fading away. :agree: Common used CDs don't even move much at the used stores anymore. I second this--buy them soon, and don't expect them to be there in five or ten years time. It will be nice if they are still around but if not, it's like all the other CDs we have all missed over the years--you snooze, you lose! Then it's back to $300 a pop for Fandango. :D

These reissues are good for collectors/completists, so the copies I don't buy can go to someone who hasn't heard the music before (which is where these releases are being targeted).

As for pricing, the high-res files when on sale cost about the same as a full-priced $15 CD (the last HDTracks sale I caught was 20% off). A bargain considering it's the same quality they used in the studio when remastering these titles. The vinyl titles should sound superb, given they are being sourced directly from the analog masters.

I don't even recall seeing it on vinyl. Although I know it was, since later albums were released on vinyl. I had this on CD when it came out--a gift, if I recall.

If you went the HDTracks route, you could download the albums as an apple lossless file (ALAC) and they will open right in the software. FLAC is more standard, and there are players and utilities for OSX and IOS that would handle those, some of them likely being freeware. I've use the JRiver player on both Windows 10 and OSX (it is identical) but it is not a free player. But, it plays most formats I throw at it, which is what I need.

Thanks for the explanation. If I order, I'll likely order cd and the burn into a file for Apple equipment. ~David

Release dates have changed in the last few years. For many years, Tuesday was release day in the US. The UK always did Monday. But in these days of global markets, it was somehow decided that Friday would serve as release day for most music titles, the idea being that people shopped on the weekends and would see the shiny new displays. Of course in these days of very few brick & mortar stores, it's almost a moot point.

Actually, for some online sellers who want to get the product into the hands of the buyers on release day, having it be a Friday works out a little better than the unreliable shipping schedules over a typical weekend.

For my part, vinyl preorders are in place. Just about done getting the high-res downloads. So, I'm set! :thumbsup:

Funny, it shows how much buying habits have changed. I think my last in-store purchase of a new release, other than Record Store Day last year, was when the first Signature Series CDs came out.

Just preordered the CD for Midnight Sun - which I really love. Also will be placing an order today for the vinyl. More to come... :D

Actually, for some online sellers who want to get the product into the hands of the buyers on release day, having it be a Friday works out a little better than the unreliable shipping schedules over a typical weekend.
I would say that's probably about 95% of the reason, with the "store displays" reason being the other 5%.

I think Tuesday was picked because the distribs would ship out of the factories on the previous Tuesday, product would be delivered to the warehouses by Friday, and then stores would have the weekend plus Monday to get displays set up. WHen I was in the biz, the ordering window for CDs would open on Friday, and they'd arrive to us on Monday, so we could get them out by Tuesday. Assumedly, stores withing trucking distance of a warehouse could receive shipments on Friday or Saturday.

I put my order into Amazon thru the Corner's link. I thought about ordering all of them thru our old distributor -- our old sales rep still works there -- but wholesale was only about a dollar less per CD, and then we'd have had to pay shipping, so it was about a wash. I can't remember the last time I bought a CD from a store, even my own...probably around 2012, which is when we got out of the business.

The store i normally special order cds from ( a chain store called Hastings ) is going out of buisiness so im going thru Amazon this time around lets face it Brick and mortar Music Cd/ Record stores are disappearing from my town very quickly.The Times They Are a Changing.

Barnes and Noble (stores and on-line) has Herb as 'Featured Artist' and CDs are $9.99 and vinyl is $20.74.

Last edited:
I just called Barnes & Noble in Union, New Jersey store asking, of course, about Summertime (as well as Warm and Brass Are Comin'); Guy said all he knows for sure right now is "Going Places" will be in on 9/9.
I said I'll call him again some time next week (he was a nice guy).

I wonder if the retail stores are going to have the whole line, or just the top sellers. My guess is the latter, but if anyone sees more than the "usual suspects," let us know here.

Not many. Barnes & Noble has a few, but big box stores usually only carry the hits, or "nostalgia" compilations. They have almost no interest in anyone's back catalog. I know a few independent retailers locally who still stock CDs that have as good a chance as any to stock some of them.

Back
Top Bottom