Your Herb Reissue Pecking Order

Captain Bacardi

With the 24 albums being reissued on September 9th it's kind of doubtful that most people will go out and get all 24 at one time. So which albums are you planning on getting first?

For me, I'll probably go with the albums that never were on CD to begin with - Warm, Summertime, You Smile - The Song Begins, Coney Island and Main Event - Live. I have the Japanese CDs of The Brass Are Comin' and Beyond, so I can wait on those (BAC is my least favorite anyway). I also have the original 80's CD of Volume 2. Then I'll eventually get around to the others. Now that I'm married I no longer have the expendable cash I used to have. :D

At one time, I was considering going in some order that made sense, getting things like WARM and THE BRASS ARE COMIN', SUMMERTIME and the two T.J.B. albums early on. Then I would have grabbed MAIN EVENT LIVE and perhaps then gone back to the older Tijuana Brass stuff. Lastly, I'd have gone with the solo material, since I already have all of those on CD.

Now, I'm thinking of doing a giant purchase of everything that's available all at once. I'll have to see what the prices are and if I can get any special deals with multiple purchases. I've sold a few duplicate things on eBay to help fund the purchase. I have this great fear of the albums being offered and then quickly disappearing. Who knows how many of these things are being pressed and for how long they'll be available? So many members here tell of stories with the original '80s CDs where they picked up one or two and couldn't find the rest when they went back to fill in their collections.

I probably won't be getting I FEEL YOU or ANYTHING GOES. Those are so recent that there's not going to be any improvement in sound, and frankly, they hold less "magic" for me than the older A&M stuff does.

I don't plan on any of the vinyl offerings at this point. I like vinyl, but for me it's a been-there-done-that situation. I've got all of the original vinyl and the remastered CDs will satisfy me just fine.

I'm probably leaning toward a CD (but no vinyl) bunch-buy like Harry. I'll get all of the TJB, both of the T.J.B., and will pick and choose from the rest. Of the solo albums, my favorites are Beyond, Fandango, and Magic Man. Also Blow Your Own Horn. The rest, I'll probably make do with what I've got.

I plan to get 9 out of this group in this order
1 Tijuana brass volume 2
2 warm
3 The Brass are comin
4 Summertime
5 You smile the song begins
6 Coney island
7 Main Event live
8 Beyond
9 Magic man.
and if any more are released beyond this group i will get
10 Just You and me
11 the first Herb and Hugh album ( if the master is ever found)
12 Blow your own horn
13 Bullish
14 Wild Romance
And as i mentioned elsewhere i have all the rest of the Cds on either A&M or Shout Factory etc. As well as some vinyl versions i had before the cds ( including some mono versions) it will be very nice to have all of Herb's albums on true digital compact disc At Last.

I'll grab the vinyl, largely due to Bernie's mastering. I am guessing he used his tube mastering chain with those.

I already have over half the high-res titles, and will have the rest in a month or two. CDs aren't even on my radar anymore.

I am picking up Summertime, You Smile The Song Begins, Coney Island & Main Event Live. I will get the remaining CD's later on. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Since I'll be getting a couple hundred bucks in overtime this next check, I'm going to get several more of the hi-res files. I'm liking those more and more since I got the FiiO. Thinking that I may try to get all of them. I want vinyl for Fandango, Rise, Midnight Sun, SRO (I have old stereo and mono copies - both pretty worn), and What Now My Love. More as I can afford it.

Good question...

First, I'll go with:
Beyond
Magic Man
Main Event - Live
Warm​

I've had those LPs since they were new, so there's a powerful nostalgia there, plus I really like all of them.

After that would be:
You Smile - The Song Begins
Summertime
Coney Island
The Brass Are Comin'​

I never had those LPs until I picked them up just a few years ago. I particularly like You Smile - The Song Begins, so that would be first.

Then, for the sake of completeness, Keep Your Eye On Me. :rolleyes:

If Just You and Me and Wild Romance do get released, I'll pick those up as well.

I'm tempted to pick them all up, actually.

That does bring up a question though - are these new reissues using the same masters as the recent Signature series, or are these expected to be an improvement? For example, there was a forum thread comment about the last Rise reissue being overly loud and compressed.

Also, are they likely to be an improvement over the original CDs for those that weren't reissued in the Signature series? (Midnight Sun, North on South St., etc.)

The Herb Alpert Presents re-issues have all been re-mastered by Bernie Grundman. The Hi-Def downloads came from the same source. If you've not listened to any of these, prepare to be blown away! :wink:

SOUTH OF THE BORDER and GOING PLACES will be vinyl releases as well as WHAT NOW MY LOVE and RISE.

I will get all the TJB reissues and include Main Event, Magic Man, Fandango and Midnight Sun. Due to customs rules here in Norway, though, I might "portion it out" in different orders on 5-6 CDs each. Like many people working with music production, I am not really a vinyl fan, so I will leave those untouched.

- Greetings from the north -
Martin

ADA is part of Warner, do they release in Norway? This is supposed to be a worldwide release, so maybe you won't have to order from a foreign source.

Steve

The Herb Alpert Presents re-issues have all been re-mastered by Bernie Grundman. The Hi-Def downloads came from the same source. If you've not listened to any of these, prepare to be blown away! :wink:

Thanks - I guess I had read that before, but it didn't click that this was going to apply to all of the new reissues. That's a lot more enticing.

Oh well... who needs groceries? :wink:

The CD release should be the definitive fix-up of the sound Herb really wanted on Volume Two. I'll add that to my two copies of Summertime.

I am going to try and buy all of the vinyl and CD reissues ! I bought all of the Shout!factory reissues, I am particularly looking forward to buying Warm, The brass are comin and Summertime as I don't have these on CD, but I do have the U.S Volume 2 CD. Originally I had decided to only buy the TJB CDs but now I have decided to also buy all of Herb's solo CD's too. I know this will cost me a lot of money but I've budgeted for it - and been waiting a very long time so I can't let this opportunity pass ! I am HUGELY looking forward to buying them all !

I am going to try and buy all of the vinyl and CD reissues ! I bought all of the Shout!factory reissues, I am particularly looking forward to buying Warm, The brass are comin and Summertime as I don't have these on CD, but I do have the U.S Volume 2 CD. Originally I had decided to only buy the TJB CDs but now I have decided to also buy all of Herb's solo CD's too. I know this will cost me a lot of money but I've budgeted for it - and been waiting a very long time so I can't let this opportunity pass ! I am HUGELY looking forward to buying them all !
I TRULY AGREE. That is the key here. planning. Budgeting ahead of time and then proceeding accordingly and yes this is a rare opportunity that may never come again as far as physical product ( CD And Vinyl) is concerned. In any case i wish us all " Happy Hunting. And buying. As well as "Very good listening".

Main Event Live, Beyond, You Smile, Just You and Me (if released), Wild Romance (since it wasn't digitally done originally), and maybe Midnight Sun or North on South Street.

Everything else waits.

Now, if they locate the original Herb n Hugh, that'll be second in line.

Here's something to think about - don't snooze and think you're going to get these CDs too far down the road. In 2-3 years, CDs will likely not be issued any more! The good news - the re-issues will be very reasonably priced.

Here's something to think about - don't snooze and think you're going to get these CDs too far down the road. In 2-3 years, CDs will likely not be issued any more! The good news - the re-issues will be very reasonably priced.

Good thought - one thing my brother and I are contemplating is sharing the cost and just getting all of them once released. One will own the discs (likely me, as I prefer discs and then burn as I need for mobile equipment) and one will likely burn for use therein. It's a thought. The question for me (and him, too, I suppose, though it's me with the sensori-neural hearing loss) is whether the sound will be so appreciably different from the cd we own now. In the case of The Main Event Live, the sound was so superior but that's because we did not have anything else to go ou but old vinyl and "needle drops", as y'all call 'em. I still think that my thinking is to get the ones that haven't eve r been released, ones I down't own on cd, and ones that were not fully digitally recorded. But that's my thinking right now. Five minutes form now, I might change my mind... :)

On digital, I've never been able to figure out what would be best. I only use a Apple stuff. Don't have Pomo. And don't own software for conversions though I've wondered if there's freeware available for this.

On the new EP, likely will order two(as I have for the last few releases) as I typically get my brother the new release for his birthday on what I euphemistically call the "every home a Herb plan". If only I could get the thing autographed for him - he would surely appreciate that.

~David

Back
Top Bottom