Your most favorite A&M recording artists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew T.

On a note slightly more positive than that of this thread, what are your most favorite A&M recording artists?

As of now, my top three are probably:

1. Joe Jackson
2. The Police
3. Supertramp

Joe Jackson is an artist I've been getting more into lately. I've had Night and Day and Body and Soul for a while, and found copies of Look Sharp! and Blaze of Glory recently when I was in the UK. All of these albums have been satisfying listens, and I like how he changed his style so often while maintaining a high degree of quality to his music. It's a bit of a shame that a fair number of his A&M albums are out-of-print thanks to his catalog being "Universaled" down to a few repackaged, best-selling albums and compilations, but in a way that makes finding them a less-predictable and more-rewarding challenge.

Roger Nichols, Sandpipers, Jimmie Rodgers, Larry Marks...I could go on, and on, really!

Dave

Herb Alpert (solo), Lani Hall, Herb Alpert and TJB, Chuck Mangione, Stan Getz (for Apasionado), Peter Frampton, Sting (solo), The Carpenters, Joe Jackson, Burt Bacharach

HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS
Baja Marimba Band
The Carpenters
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 (Lani Hall, above all!)
Wes Montgomery
Claudine Longet
Punch
Cat Stevens
Billy Preston
The Churls
Merry-Go-Round

My top ten, in this order:
1. Burt Bacharach
2. Herb Alpert
3. Paul Williams
4. Squeeze
5. Peter Frampton
6. Supertramp
7. Rita Coolidge
8. Sergio Mendes
9. Lani Hall
10. The Police

Tough to limit it to just ten! Especially when I consider how many artists did just one LP or even just one single 45 (or 12") over the years...

But here goes, top ten by decades (I a;ways fiond qa way to cheat my top tems):
1960s:
Herb Alpert/TJB
BMB
B66
Phil Ochs
Claudine Longet
Chris Montez
Sandpipers
Wes Montgomery
Merry-Go-Round
Jobim
HM: Bacharach

1970s:
Carpenters
Lani Hall
Styx
Supertramp
Chuck Mangione
Stranglers
Peter Allen
Paul Williams
Lettta Mbulu
Emitt Rhodes
HM: Dickies

1980s:
Oingo Boingo
Hazel O'Connor
Joe Jackson
Police
Split Enz
Orchestral Manouevres In The Dark
RandyAndy
Squeeze
Chaz Jankel
YMO
HM: Bolland

BONUS:
the I.R.S. catalog
HM: the Gold Mountain catalog

Yeah yeah yeah, some of these straddle more than the decade listed. So what? Sue Me!

--Mr Bill

Absolutely the top artists were Herb Alpert and the TJB. No contest! :D

I know this sounds crazy, but I really liked Procol Harem from the late '60's. Weren't they also on A&M?

Styx, The Sandpipers, The Baja Marimba Band, Cat Stevens, The Carpenters, The Police, Peter Framption, Amy Grant, Janet Jackson, and Supertramp are definitely on my list, too.

(Being the big Beatles fan that I am, I'd have to "technically" include George Harrison, whose record label, Dark Horse, was distributed at a certain point by A&M. But those records were so dreadful (in my humble opinion!) that I'm almost embarrassed to say anything about the late Mr. H. in this context. He also met his future wife (and now widow), Olivia, on the A&M lot).

Yes, Procol Harum was part of the group of British artists signed by A&M when the label was trying to increase its presence in the rock'n'roll world. (Frampton, Police, Supertramp, Cat Stevens, would be on that list too.)

Where do I start? My list would probably look a lot like Mr. Bill's, by decade. Just off the cuff here, and in no particular order:

60s
---
Tijuana Brass
Brasil '66
Roger Nichols
Burt Bacharach
Tamba 4
A.C. Jobim

70s
---
Styx (actually the first real "rock" music I owned)
Carpenters
Gino Vannelli
The Police
Solo Herb Alpert

80s
---
Oingo Boingo
Joe Jackson
Janet Jackson

I'm overlooking a few, I'm sure. And you can't avoid spanning decades--I tried to nail each decade, but it's not easy.

Carpenters
Captain & Tennille
Rita Coolidge
Amy Grant
Herb Alpert (TJB and solo)
Supertramp
Chuck Mangione
The Police
Bryan Adams
Paul Janz
Styx
Peter Frampton
Gino Vanelli

In no particular order they would be:

Police, Brasil '66, Maria Conchita Alonso, Gino Vannelli, Chuck Mangione, Herb Alpert, Lani Hall.

Hi, A&Mers:

As I wrote on my first message, my favorite A&M artists are Lani Hall, Sting, Police, Brasil 66, Herb Alpert, Gin Blossoms, and Procol Harum.

MALE SINGERS: Joe Cocker, Bryan Adams, Sting.
FEMALE SINGERS: Lani Hall, Janet Jackson, Lucille Starr.
BANDS/GROUPS: Brasil 66, The Police, Strawbs.
INSTRUMENTISTS: Herb Alpert, John Pisano, Bob Findley.

Well, I can't rat off a long list. I feel I'm just getting started on my A&M collecting but I do have a lot already

Herb Alpert - TJB & solo
Sergio Mendes & B'66
Rick Wakeman
Sting and The Police
Styx
Gino Vannelli
Pablo Cruise

I'm also interested in the works of Joe Jackson, Chris DeBurgh, Jimmie Rodgers, the Baja Marimba Band, Joe Cocker and whoever else I can get my hands on. This is a small list.

1. Herb Alpert
2. Burt Bacharach
3. Chuck Mangione
4. George Benson
5. Gino Vanelli
6. The Police
7. Sting (solo)
:santa:

1-Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
2-Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
3-Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass
4-Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass