Your Navy Presents - Better Quality Recordings*

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are great, such a shame Richard never got these released on CD for the fans to purchase. These are excellent quality. I have always considered "All Of My Life" right up there with the top hits in my opinion. The old stuff becomes new again. :love:

One thing I would say about Help - it does sound like it was heavily overdubbed (maybe even pre-recorded/re-recorded for this show, not live). Karen's lead has some very heavy processing on it similar to the studio version and the stacked vocals sound suspiciously like just the two of them.

On Youtube there are clips from their 1972 Australian show of Cinderella Rockefella and I Fell in Love with You. Karen and Doug Strawn sang Cinderella at the front of the stage and Karen seemed so have so much fun with it that it surprises me to read that later on she was reluctant to get out from behind the drums.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the word "pristine" as a descriptor. First off, I hear a lot of distortion on the louder passages. Second, I was just listening to "Ticket To Ride" and at about :54- :55, there's a nasty jump-cut to another section of the song.

Harry

Maybe it was my excitement Harry - they're pristine compared to the quality of the versions I've heard before lol. Change it to 'superior'? :phones:

I've always wondered where the other performances were. These are a 1st for me and what a thrill! Here I was in a previous post dragging my chin on the floor and presto instant reboot. Talk about a mood swing. This is the closest I've come to buying a new C's record in yeeeears.

Thank you for posting!

Jeff

Per Richard's liner notes, the version of "Help!" heard here is an 'unsweetened' alternate studio version....not 'live', as were the other performances on "Your Navy Presents".

Maybe it was my excitement Harry - they're pristine compared to the quality of the versions I've heard before lol. Change it to 'superior'? :phones:

You're forgiven. It's actually a shame that they're not a little better than they are. I have some of those Army and Navy recruiting shows, though not this one, and they generally sound a lot better. The other odd thing is that these all seem to be basically mono, and I know that the ones I have are in stereo.

I changed the title word to "better" since I think that's appropriate.

Harry

I have seen on ebay over the years some LP's titled Your Navy Presents, does anyone know if this was ever released on an LP with these tracks?

After a 2nd listen, yeah there not perfect but they are better sounding than what I had.

Just pulled out my disc and what we are missing are:

Love is Surrender
Can't Buy Me Love
Baby's it's You
Nowadays Clancy
All I Can Do
Mr Guder

This really would make an awesome official audio CD from the original master tape.

This link also lists the Bacharach/David Medley. This and 'Help' are the two unsweetened recordings that Richard refers to in his liner notes on From The Top:

"Your Navy Presents was a public service program airing weekly on some 2500 radio stations, and featuring a variety of guest artists. In March of 1970, Karen, our road group, and I recorded twelve songs "live" in the studio. The twelve (plus two then unsweetened master recordings) were subsequently interspersed with some talk, and edited into four shows of approximately 15 minutes each."

So we have the twelve listed above, the Bacharach Medley and the fourteenth track is the already officially released 'Get Together'. As Chris says, what a gem of a release that would be!

The last two were nuked by the music publishers.

Harry

To my ears 'Love Is Surrender' is also the studio version as well :shh:

It's definitely studio, but it's different from the released version. The cowbells are different,; there are some other percussion instruments missing; and it's edited to repeat the second verse twice ("Shout about love and the wars will all end..."). There are also some different harmonies present or at least emphasized more in this version.

I wish the Bacharach Medley hadn't been nuked. I have no copies of that at all from this program.

Harry

It's definitely studio, but it's different from the released version. The cowbells are different,; there are some other percussion instruments missing; and it's edited to repeat the second verse twice ("Shout about love and the wars will all end..."). There are also some different harmonies present or at least emphasized more in this version.

Which means that there are actually three unsweetened studio recordings, not two, as Richard said in his liner notes:
  1. Bacharach/David Medley
  2. Love Is Surrender
  3. Help

Which means that there are actually three unsweetened studio recordings, not two, as Richard said in his liner notes:
  1. Bacharach/David Medley
  2. Love Is Surrender
  3. Help
I'm not entirely sure what you're listening to, but the Bacharach/David Medley included in the Your Navy Presents show was recorded "live-in-the-studio," like the majority of the other tracks. It's the same truncated medley that was later recorded for Carpenters, but it's not the same performance at all.

Only "Love Is Surrender" and "Help" were unsweetened studio tracks, which had been recorded for the upcoming album Close to You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom