Your opinion - Is The Unreleased Vault sealed forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newvillefan said:
Why Don't They Understand (1980)

ullalume said:
In response to Steve,

Intrigued how you know Why don't they understand is from 1980. Please tell.

Sorry Neil, I'm not Stephen.
In the middle of the '70s I knew Carpenters recorded this song. Probably recorded in 1973 c.
I read about it in English Carpenters book/magazine. Published date was not written. Written in 1975 or so, maybe. I don't recall the name of writer, he wrote the part of the article from an interview with Tony Peluso.
I thought this song wouldn't be released.

I knew Carpenters would record "Sailing on the Tide" in 1974 in Japanese fan club news magazine, it wasn't included in "Horizon".

I think I read in International Fan Club Newsletter, Live in Japan might be released in the U.S.. I don't recall exact words, though.
It was also written in the newsletter that the live was recorded in Osaka. Later Japanese fans sometimes talked that some were recorded in Kyoto, too, regarding to the part that Tony caught the plain.

Sakura

The comment regarding "The guy who just caught the plane" from the "Live In Japan" album is referring to Tony Peluso literally catching a paper airplane that was flying towards the stage.

Regarding "Sailing on the Tide":

According to Richard, that song was recorded in 1977 during the "Passage" sessions. Could have been 1975, as you reported. But the initial report from Richard was that it was recorded in 1977 (from an inverview he gave to Billboard in 1983).

Yes, Tony caught the paper plane.

I also have read that "Sailing on the Tide" was recorded in 1977.
"Happy" and "Sailing on the Tide" were written in English in Fan Club magazine No. 22. Japanese fan club magazine hardly popped up on eBay, but I have seen one several years ago.
No. 22 had Morinaga ad photos, concerts photos in Japan 1974, photo taken in Japan 1972, publicity photos and sheet music of "From the Heart Comes the Soul", copyright of Tatsu's music company. Cover was Morinaga photo in green/white.

John Bettis told Yuka that it was originally called "Going to the Beach". You can see it in her album notes on "Voice of the Heart" in the box set(35th anniversary, probably 30th, too).

Sakura

Very interesting, Sakura! "Going to the Beach" would certainly fit with the tune....same number of syllables as "Sailing On the Tide", though the latter works better....LOL.
Thanks for the info.
Bob.

And I thought that Richard's lead vocals were originally used for this. Anyone remember? Can anyone clarify?

PATRICK-Richard designated "Lovelines" to be the final album in 1989-and it has remained so for the past twenty years.Obviously,there's been a few tracks that have surfaced on the compilations and boxed sets-tracks that Richard changed his mind on or duet tracks that He finally received clearance to release.
Personally,I don't feel that "As Time Goes By" should have been released as a stand-alone album.All of those tracks could have been included in the "Essential" boxed set,and some of those tracks weren't even worthy of release.Actually,I wouldn't even call that an album-It's just a mishap compilation of medleys,demos,instrumentals and alternate versions of existing songs.
Since "Lovelines" release 20 years ago,the only worthwhile vault track
issued was the "Karen/Ella" medley-a superior track that demonstrates what a great jazz singer Karen could have been-If she had chosen that route.

mr J. said:
Personally,I don't feel that "As Time Goes By" should have been released as a stand-alone album.All of those tracks could have been included in the "Essential" boxed set,and some of those tracks weren't even worthy of release.Actually,I wouldn't even call that an album-It's just a mishap compilation of medleys,demos,instrumentals and alternate versions of existing songs.

I would have to agree. The ATGB featured a *few* gems that would have been much better suited to a compilation album such as 'Interpretations'. Tracks such as 'Close Encounters' were included when in fact they brought little value to the set. The 1960s demos could have easily been included on the box set 'Essential Collection', along with 'The Rainbow Collection' and 'Leave Yesterday Behind'.

I agree for the most part with your comments about ATGB. I am thrilled we have the album, but would he have included all of those on various compilations? I'd hope so, but who knows. We KNOW there are enough greatest hits/singles 1969--?? compilations that he COULD have put each of those songs, in fact, it would boost sales. So my question still remains. I am not asking for an entire album of Karen & Richard outtakes (although I'd certainly welcome it) but just to include an unreleased gem or two from the vaults on future Compilations. We know they exist. Both Carpenters and certainly Karen Carpenter solo recordings. Finish them up, and release them!
Who will buy? Probably just die hard fans if they are on one album, but if they are on a hits compilation or box set, well that's another story. I still want to hear more of Karen. Always will.

This isn't a "new" idea ~ but one that Richard should really consider. . . .

How about releasing just mixes of their songs with JUST Richard's piano/fender Rhodes and Karen's lead with the background vocals (which they were SO KNOWN for!).....Kind of an "unplugged" CD of their hits and album cuts ~

PS : RE: SAILING ON THE TIDE - In a Carpenters FanClub Newsletter from EV (I don't know which one!) when she was talking about the anticipated release of "HORIZON", SAILING ON THE TIDE was noted as one of the new titles from the forthcoming album they were working on . . . . . . .so I believe the song was maybe tracked but never finished till later.........

Hammerandnails said:
RE: SAILING ON THE TIDE - In a Carpenters FanClub Newsletter from EV (I don't know which one!) when she was talking about the anticipated release of "HORIZON", SAILING ON THE TIDE was noted as one of the new titles from the forthcoming album they were working on . . . . . . .so I believe the song was maybe tracked but never finished till later.........

Tony Peluso wrote the song I believe in 1975, but I think they encountered all sorts of problems with the track and recording it. In the Japanese Sayonara Carpenters special, Richard introduces the song by saying it was one of the tracks from the new album (VOTH) that was particularly difficult to record and finish. I definitely don't think Karen laid down her vocal on the track until 1977.

It's the same story with 'Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night', which was mentioned in John Tobler's little CD sized book of their discography, as being finished and released only when the technology in the studio had caught up with them and advanced enough to allow them to do so. I was never quite sure what was meant by that!

I believe it was 1974. :tongue: Because my sister received the fan club magazine in 1974. The rest information was autumn performance and Morinaga CM, started in September.

Ev sent me newsletters, I think it was just before the release of Horizon that "Sailing on the Tide" and "Happy" were written in Tony's mini bio.

Sakura

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom