Your Opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

What do you think is the best sounding Carpenters hits compilation?
I'm no expert here- but I am curious.
(BTW-Happy New Year everyone!)

Definitely The Essential Collection and The Singles 1969-1981 SACD. The Ultimate Collection is right up there also.

I'd vote for the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION too. I just remember popping that in on the day I got it and being quite impressed with the sound. Others here chimed in then too, alwo mentioning the outstanding mastering of that set.

I haven't heard the SINGLES SACD in surround sound, but I'm told it's reference quality. The two-channel layer isn't bad either.

Harry

To me, I'd say any of the Reader's Digest box sets have had the best sound.

GOLD ranks among the top along side the SACD.

I think that "Singles - 1969-1981" is just wretched for one main reason: the compression factor. There's far too much of it and it makes the whole album sound far too bright and "crushed". Carpenters' songs need dynamics and this CD totally lacks them. SACD is good technology but it will always come down to the level of the mastering itself.

The sound from the "Essential Collection" is far superior. There is no major compression involved and the sound is all the better for it.

Ed

Definitely the SACD Singles collection. Hey, I had an entire sound system installed after I ordered the CD. It gave me an entirely new appreciation of Karen's God-given voice and also Richard's arrangements!

Mike

Sounds like "Essentials" is one of the favorites.
Do you think this collection sounds better than the original album versions?

Like Mike, I bought a surround system SACD just because of the Carpenters singles SACD version...and I must add, it was well worth every penny, even if SACD does not stay around, just to hear the most magnificent sounding Carpenters collection ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom