You're The One - (Your Thoughts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of that song?

Personally, I think it's just a superb song. Nice orchestration and again, that gorgeous voice.

I think that if that song would've took the place of a song like "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" on the "Passage" album, it would've made that album easily the best Carpenters album (except for that long and painful intro to "Don't Cry For Me Argentina").

The 1975 "Horizon" album is many fans favorite album because there's alot of songs that fit well together (I'm not one of them)..., well, if "You're The One" would've made the "Passage" sessions cut..., "Passage" would not only be my favorite Carpenters album (besides "Christmas Portrait")..., it would've been many's favorite Carpenters album.

To me, "I Just Fall In Love Again" and "You're The One" are better songs than "Love Me For What I Am", "(Caught Between) Goodbye And I Love You" and "Desperado".

I love probably "I Just Fall In Love Again" and "You're The One" as much as I love Horizon's "Solitaire"... Well..., almost.

Well, with it being "Filler", unless I play the Album it's on, then it's a track I rarely get to hear...! Somehow this one doesn't quite grab me as much as "Road Ode" or "Crystal Lullabye", or should I say, "Mr. Guider" or "Crescent Noon" and the latter two don't have the impact of the former two, for that matter, so I don't know... :|

Dave

This is one of my favorite Karen performances. She sings this one beautifully and Richard gets out of the way and lets her do it. This one still gets to me after all this time. Fantastic song!

Ed

My favorite part is Karen's vocal on "..., You've grown so deep inside of me..., You're everything I feel and see..."

I also love to hear Karen's soft breath at the 2:37 mark. :)

It's yet another example of that "photogenic" voice of hers. Herb Alpert said she sounds like she's in your lap and he's right on the money. I'm a sucker for the first "You're the one I Love". Great strength and immaculate pitch.

Ed

THIS song this song has every nuaunce and subtle feature represented in Karen's contralto. The jelly of convection is well conveyed here.

Jeff

It's a quality song, with a very "close" vocal from Karen (her voice seems completely centre stage in the production, rather like in Ordinary Fool) which is always nice and a fairly restrained orchestration (not suffering from the addition of choir which often weighed down some of their later ballads). However, I feel that I Just Fall in Love Again is definitely a stronger song than this, so I can understand why it was left off Passage in favour of that one.

This song is one of my all time favorites of Karen's voice. I can't figure out how it was an outtake! It's so perfect. :rolleyes:

YOU'RE THE ONE is a favorite of mine, too.

But it is not perfect. Listen to the very last verse:
"You're the one I love"

When Karen sings "I", her voice is not as clear as it should be. I guess, they didn't want to record it one more time, so they shelved it for the time being.

Bruno
guessing online

Bruno, you know, I think Richard just left that in for a more poignant effect. To me, it just makes it more touching. IMHO this song is a reflection of Karen's life.

Just my thoughts,
Marilyn

thestitch said:
Bruno, you know, I think Richard just left that in for a more poignant effect. To me, it just makes it more touching. IMHO this song is a reflection of Karen's life.

Just my thoughts,
Marilyn

I'd have to agree with you, Marilyn.

Although there *is* an imperfection right after the bridge, at the start of the final verse where Karen sings "If our friends all around". At the word "all", you hear feedback which sounds like bleedthrough from Karen's headset causing some frequency in the EQ on the reverb to feed. That has always bugged me!

I like You're the One as I do all the others. Karen sang each of them as well as any. I think that You're the One was on an early Barry Manilow album, and the time Can't Smile Without You was just covered by both. Maybe, that has something to do with it.

I always thought that Passage was a departure from the usual and an open horizon into the future. I loved Passage - it was bold. I like each song, but I have to agree that the prelude to Don't Cry for Me Argentina is optional listening. -- I was ready for B'wana She No Home to be released as a single in '78.

Craig

If I had to make a choice of a song to play for someone who had never heard of the Carpenters or heard Karen sing, I would choose You're The One. It has wonderful lyrics and showcases all of the best aspects of Karen's voice and her singing style and is one of the best of Richard's arrangements.

thestitch said:

Just my thoughts,
Marilyn

I kinda agree...

To me, Karen clearly did that for effect. It sounds totally intentional to my ears. It makes the moment more intimate. This was not a woman who did a million takes of anything. If they'd have needed one more take, they'd have done it. This sounds totally intentional to my ears.

Ed

I love it. One of my other favorite female vocalists is (First We Take Manhattan) Jennifer Warnes with an outstanding, immediately identifyable voice. She recorded this song also. I don't opt to choose a favorite. I would prefer to hear them both live, one after the other...if only.

I had the privilege of singing You're the One at my brother's wedding in 2001. He and his fiance asked me to sing, and this was one of the songs I had them listen to. I was pretty persuasive in getting them to agree to it. Maybe a little unconventional for a traditonal church wedding, but very memorable. I found a karaoke version of the song and played it over the church's sound system while I sang live with a mic. Had an audio person mix the two, and the results were amazing, especially with the accoustics in the chapel. I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Not quite up to Karen's standards, but pretty darn good none-the-less! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom