Yusuf Islam - An Other Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbsugar

Music is life
As I'm sure everyone is aware of, Yusuf Islam (the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens) released his first album of mainstream music in 28 years last Tuesday. Reviews have been favorable for the most part, and while he has plundered 'Foreigner Suite' for part of his new single "Heaven/Where True Love Goes", I really have enjoyed this cd. Naturally his voice is a bit different after so long, but still has that soothing quality to it. I must say I was somewhat puzzled at the inclusion of the cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" but, oh well...

I was just wondering if any of y'all here at A&M Corner has purchased this cd and if so, what your thoughts were....

NJB

I haven't seen or heard the album yet, but there's a video for "Heaven/Where True Love Goes" at youtube.com. Sounds like vintage Cat Stevens; the program time is 4:59.

JB

I didn't like the last few Cat Stevens albums....TEASER and TEA were his best, IMHO. I might be tempted to check this out, though...it's getting some pretty good reviews.

I discovered information on the new album when I was researching Yusuf Islam sometime over the weekend. (Every once in a while, I like to look into the latest happenings of artists who haven't done anything musically for a while. I know that Mr. Islam is firmly dedicated to his religion and originally thought about turning his back on music, but it's interesting, nonetheless, to see what he's been up to, and I was surprised to see that he was releasing some new pop-style music). I haven't heard any of the new album yet, but I have read some of the reviews on Amazon. What I don't understand about the negative reviews is that people seem to expect Cat Stevens as he was in the 1970s, when that guy doesn't exist anymore. And of course, with age, his voice is going to sound a little different than what it did when he released, say TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom