Zazueira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum members,

The Jorge Ben penned song ZAZUEIRA although owned by Sergio‘s music publishing company RODRA was never released on an album by Sergio and his Brasil groups.

I‘m aware of 3 version of the songs (their must be more!)

1) LA transit by DeNovo from 1985
2) Astrud Gilberto with Stanley Turrentine -1970
3) The Bossa Rio, Alegria - 1970

I never heard the Bossa Rio version, but I heared the DeNovo version with Yutaka and Tom Scott as leaders with some members of the Sergio Mendes and Brasil 88 group (without Sergio) at that time: Gracinha, Kate Markowitz and Carol Rogers on vocals with Alex Acuna and John Robinson on drums/percussion and the help from Oscar Castro Neves and Paul Jackson on guitars and Alphonso Johnson on bass. Nice track, very Mendes orientated especiallly in the harmony vocals.

The Astrud Gilberto/Turrentine version is simple, romantic joyful, witty and direct with the great Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax(I have two fine albums with Turrentine and Claus Ogerman).
The Gilberto/Turrentine on CTI was arranged by Deodato on keyboards and in the diver seats Dom Um Romao and Joao Palma with Airto on percussion, the great Brazilian guitar/accordion player Sivuca on guitar together with legendary New York studio guitarist Bob Mann (The Sound of Silence-Simon & Garfunkel) and current touring member in James Taylor‘s band, with Toots Thielemans on harmonica and Ron Carter on bass.
Also a nice instrumental versionof s Milton Nascimento‘s Vera Cruz, and a fine version of Edu Lobo‘s PONTEIO.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

You're forgetting a prime version by A&M's co-founder, Herb Alpert. "Zazueira" appeared on the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' album WARM back in 1969, and actually preceded the album as a single in its own right.

When I first heard "Zazueira" by the TJB, I thought it sounded more like a Brasil '66 song. Interestingly, around the same time, Brasil '66 released "Pretty World" which, with its brass embellishments, sounded like it could've been a Tijuana Brass song. I had imagined some kind of a behind-the-scenes swap, Herb and Sergio each deciding to do the other one's tune. Though Sergio never came out with a version "Zazueira", Herb DID do "Pretty World", and put it on the same WARM album

WARM, of course, has never appeared on CD, but "Zazueira" made it to the HERB ALPERT & THE TIJUANA BRASS GREATEST HITS VOL.2.

It will be a red letter day around the Corner when WARM finally does make an appearance - it's been a long time waiting for it.

Harry
NP: "Zazueira" - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

I remember hearing ZAZUEIRA for the first time on a trip to Chicago in the car on WLS radio...the DJ's first name was Art...and I made my dad turn the radio up loud! I didn't associate the song with Mendes, but it DID seem to be totally different than anything I'd ever heard the TJB play before...more jazz-oriented than anything else, maybe a logical progression from SLICK from BOTB. I flat-out loved it, and couldn't find it in the stores anywhere...at least until the album came out, and that was out of my budget as a 14 year-old...

I've always been intrigued by this song, and others like PONTIEO and MEU PAO...I like to sing along, but don't know what I'm saying...no sphrechenzie Portugues...

Also, what was the origin of this particular song? I've heard snippets of Astrud's version from a previous download attempt that went borscht...heard just enough to identify the harmonica[ which I also have on a completed download of PONTIEO], and the overall mood of the arrangement seemed like a folk song. Were PONTIEO and ZAZUEIRA from tha same album? Did anyone else record PONTIEO beside Sergio and Woody Herman? I have both of those recordings...And, what about Meu Pao? I have a bargain-priced CD of Astrud's that has the song, but it doesn't include any info about it...any other recordings?

Is Astrud's album with Stanley Turrentine still available?

Dan, also waiting for WARM...

Edu Lobo records "Ponteio" on Sergio Mendes Presents Edu Lobo, as well as Walter Wanderley's A&M/CTi album When It Was Done. I am wondering if Milton Nascimento recorded it on his A&M/CTi album Courage or not. (I don't have the track listing handy.)

Harry said:
You're forgetting a prime version by A&M's co-founder, Herb Alpert. "Zazueira" appeared on the Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' album WARM back in 1969, and actually preceded the album as a single in its own right.

It also peaked on the Hot 100 at #78 in 1969.

Capt. Bacardi

OK, now I'm hearing the Bossa Rio version of "Zazueira" in my head...! :tongue:

Did Bossa Rio sing it on their first album on A&M? (which also featured cover-versions of "Up, Up And Away" and "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?") Or was it on their second LP, Allegria, (featuring cover-versions of "Spinning Wheel" and "Blackbird") which was released on Blue Thumb??

Dave

...Whose allergies are in need of Allegra...!! :wink:

Also the song peaked at # 9 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary Charts for Herb & the TJB. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Bossa Rio's version was on Alegrïa! as stated in the opening of this thread.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom