"Zorba The Greek" (Ed Sullivan)

Here is Anthony Quinn in Zorba the Greek from 1964 with the famous theme as background music. This song written by Mikis Theodorakis is rightfully world-renown. A year later Herb was in the recording studio with his musical version.

To see a live performance from the early days of the TJB is rare indeed. John Pisano's guitar does a terrific job capturing the sound of the bouzouki instrument. And so I imagine the TJB studio recording of Zorba the Greek also used Pisano's guitar not the bouzouki. I am no musician and so the Sullivan Show performance sounded plenty good to me.
It's fantastic that you had the opportunity to witness a live performance from the early days of the TJB (The Tijuana Brass)! John Pisano's guitar work, capturing the essence of the bouzoukis, must have been a unique and memorable experience.

That is a very enjoyable clip. On Sunday evenings at 10 PM are musical clips from The Ed Sullivan Show. It is less than 30 minutes so some of the songs are edited. I try to catch it when they have an artist that I like.

I remember reading that Sullivan always wanted music acts to perform "live" on his show, so it is good to see an actual live performance. So many vids from that era are lip synced. (Or I guess in the case of the TJB, "trumpet-synced"!)
It's true, capturing that authentic irish bouzouki sound can be a challenge. John Pisano's guitar skills do add a unique touch. While the studio recording might have involved his guitar, live performances like the Sullivan Show still capture the essence.

Back
Top Bottom