Zorba Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny. That was my guess. It had that old "NBC color" look about it.

That edit (where most of the slow middle section is cut out) is similar to what appeared on the TJB's GREATEST HITS 8-track.

I have always marveled at the trumpet work on this tune, but just watching this, it struck me how difficult it must have been to record that middle section where the band starts playing faster and faster. Keeping everyone together on that had to be a challenge.

Overall it's not one of my favorite TJB songs but it's definitely one of the most amazing ones from a "talent on display" standpoint.

Funny you should mention that, Mike, because I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday. Thought I ought to mark Herb's 80th in some way, so the edition of 'The Lively Lounge' on May 1st will include seven tracks - one from each decade of Herb's musical career, and each displaying a different one of his talents. And since we always play the album version of 'Zorba' I included the single version for a change. It must have been a real challenge to speed the tempo up gradually and keep everyone together.

It was, which is why I picked the single version of Zorba - probably one of the few tracks we haven't already played at some point in the series (We're at program # 414 this week!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom