• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

1976 TV Special release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

I have it on good authority that the 1976 TV special is being strongly considered for offical release in the UK. This is notable because it indicates there may have been a shift in Richard's position about these shows in terms of their potential in the marketplace relative to the cost of putting them out there. Perhaps someone here (Chris?) may be able to get more details.

If this does come to fruition, and sales are reasonable, maybe this could be the beginning of a series of such releases. We can only hope.

Tony

For some reason, Richard has almost been embarrassed about the TV specials. While they are certainly a "child of the 70's", they were a moment in time.

If he ever does think about releasing the specials, I would think he would start with "music music music". It holds up the best 35 years later.

The Christmas special would be fun, but they are the most contrived. I'll never forget Richard running into Harvey Korman in a bowling alley!.

Since the royalties would be prohibited to release a "best of" collection, maybe the entire specials will be released some day.

Richard's *real* issue with not releasing the specials is not so much because of embarrassment nor the "quality" or lack thereof as mentioned in previous interviews, etc.

The primary reason Richard has refused to release the specials is because he doesn't want to associate with ABC, due to the terrible treatment that he and Karen received during the years that they taped the specials. It's possible that some UK company has purchased the rights.

Chris,

Since it's possible that some company in the UK might have bought the rights to the Carpenters' TV specials, is it also possible that a late '06 or early '07 release of the 1976 program is forthcoming? Just speaking hypothetically of course. :wink:

Tony

I don't have any immediate knowledge of that, however I can certainly look into it.

I have heard Richard discuss his displeasure with the early specials. Since all of the ABC executives that RC worked with in the 70's are long gone, I doubt his reason not release the specials is his 30 year anger at ABC.

The music on the specials is first rate. But, the comedy sometimes is forced and awkward. The royalties are probably the main reason. The cost to release a special on home video is very prohibited. This is why you have only seen specials from Sinatra or Streisand released. These are huge, mass appeal artists. While there are a few exceptions, they were often syndicated programs (like the 5th Dimension special with the Carpenters, or the Sonny & Cher goodtime hour).

For years, The Christmas special from 78 with Gene Kelly would be an obvious choice. However, for many different reasons, it remains in the vault.

I can assure you that the reason I stated for Richard not releasing (at least specials such as Music, Music, Music--which was his favorite) is because of ABC. Currently has nothing to do with "individuals", living or dead that worked for the network, just the network itself. ABC would be profitting off of ANY special that Richard would choose to release. He doesn't want to give them that satisfaction.

Some grudges last a long time. It's kind of ironic though that ABC is now owned by Disney, another former Richard employer that he was less than thrilled with (see Mr. Guder!).

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom