• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

2009 release & reissue

Status
Not open for further replies.
SakuraSYayoi said:
I don't think the label will be pressing more copies, regarding to limited edition. I don't know much about this.

I know about books in Japan. There are companies between publish companies and book stores.
When I was searching for XRCD2 "GOLD", I asked Tower Records or another shop how they receive the XRCD2, if they would receive from Universal Music. They said that they cannot tell about it to me. They were suggesting to me, there is a company between them and Universal Music.

So the company between record/CD company and shop can deliver CD to the shop or not?

Before you mentioned CD Japan, I was checking Japanese site of CD Japan. They said some Carpenters SHM-CD's released in August were in a few stock at maker. Then shipped in ..... Later in a few stock.
Now "Ticket To Ride", "Close To You" and "A Kind Of Hush" are said as a few stock at maker. "Horizon" might be said a few in stock.
The 40th Anniversary Box is also a few in stock at maker.
Another CD shop site said Carpenters Mini LP released in August were out of stock several days ago.

Sakura

Probably the distributor is what you are referring to. Usually a store or website will get CD's from a distributor and not the manufacturer.

Scott

Stores usually get product from a rack jobber, which buys from the record company. There can also be another step in between for very small stores or when there is a "music department" in a store -- they might buy from a subdistributor, which buys from a rack jobber.

But major sized stores (if there are any left) may very well buy direct. The key is if you are buying in "case lots" (usually 20 or 25 pieces of a title) or not -- if you buy in case lots, you can buy direct.

"40/40 Best Selection"(Oct 20) started to be listed on net CD shops. ASIN: B002NPUCI0 at Amazon.com(US). Yesterday I saw this at Amazon.co.UK but they had it as import (from US?).
I haven't found SHM-CD format mentioned yet at shop sites, either.

Off topic,
Olivia Newton-John's early 10 albums will be released as limited SHM-CD, Paper Sleeve in November. According to Universal Music note to HMV, they are 2009 oversea remaster. Hope the sound will be better. Paper sleeves are most from British LP's, American LP, too. With obi of Japanese LP's.

Sakura

5f4cc03fd935444ea9256b657c924c2c.jpg

2 CD Album | Release: 09 Oktober 2009 | Artikelnr.: 0602527133577
http://www.universalmusic.nl/p-detail.php?pid=0602527133577

Sakura

If this is indeed the cover, then allow me to be the first to coin the nickname for this set: "The Blue Album"

:)

Harry

Harry said:
If this is indeed the cover, then allow me to be the first to coin the nickname for this set: "The Blue Album"

:)

Harry

Do I smell a diehard Beatles fan nicknaming this album?

659685.jpg

Mike

Last time I checked Universal Music shop, they still have all August SHM-CD paper sleeves, but looks like all of them will be reissued in December.
December 2, 2009
15 albums as the same as August releases,
SHM-CD
limited
papersleeves
the same cat. No.

Universal Music Shop
http://umshop.jp/umshop/EachPage.php?code=63

Off topic, Olivia Newton-John's paper sleeve SHM-CD to be released in November already started to be quited for pre-order. Olivia's album may be reissued soon.

Sakura

Just curious here -- has anyone actually bought the new LIVE IN JAPAN or LIVE IN LONDON releases? I'm curious to know how the sound quality compares to the original CD releases from 20 years ago.

I guess I might have to break down and buy these, seeing as how reissues of these titles are so few and far between...

David

I bought both of them. I think they sound great but I don't have the original CD releases to compare them. Sorry.

I do have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of the packaging. I was nervous about the whole "paper sleeve" thing because the few I have bought in the past have been pretty flimsy. These were actually on pretty heavy cardstock with very glossy artwork complete with inserts and everything. They even had inserts with full-size photos of the original record labels. Very cool!!

As someone who never got the privilege to see them live, I do have to say that I thought the song selections for these concerts was really odd (and kind of disappointing). Was this typical of their live shows? They spent a huge chunk of the Japan show singing "oldies" and in the London show they crammed almost all of their hits into one giant medley instead of doing full-length versions.

Actorman said:
As someone who never got the privilege to see them live, I do have to say that I thought the song selections for these concerts was really odd (and kind of disappointing). Was this typical of their live shows? They spent a huge chunk of the Japan show singing "oldies" and in the London show they crammed almost all of their hits into one giant medley instead of doing full-length versions.

You're right. They veered from doing lengthy oldies medleys in the early 1970s (which I guess promoted their 'Now and Then' album and its theme, in part), to cramming all the hits into a medley in the 1976 tours. They lost the full versions of the hits in favour of stuff like 'Warsaw Concerto' which was a last ditch attempt to show Richard as the musical genius of the setup. In my mind, by that point, it was too late: everyone knew Karen was the star, and he could have picked a much better piano solo number, but then by then he was struggling with more complex pieces like 'Dizzy Fingers' or their fast Christmas pieces because of his quaalude addiction.

On that 1976 tour, they even had a lengthy 'Grease' medley, which was nothing to do with them, but maybe a nod to the fashionable musical trends of that era. By 1978 they had even included rare songs like 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' in their set on specific performances.

I guess they just tried different ways of putting their craft over depending on the tour they were on, and the theme of the year. One thing's for sure, they never stuck to the same set list for long though, apart from on most tours, they ALWAYS seemed to do the 'Superstar/Rainy Days/Goodbye To Love' combo, but then it always worked so well, so why mess with that particular formula? They went down a storm on the Tonight Show in 1978, a week before they went on the final tour of their careers at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas :)

Why are they calling the release Live in London when technically the release is titled Live at the Palladium.

The problem I have with the oldies is it just wears thin on me hearing it so much. The Live in Japan (I have the original CD and album versions) have not been my favorite over the years, it's ok to listen to every once in a while but with 1 complete CD of just about all oldies I usually get bored. I really don't play it that often. So I won't opt for the new SHM CD release.

Live at the Palladium (I have the original CD and album version) I enjoy this one much more, my only gripe is the CD comes in at only 44 mins and is really too short to be a true live album. From this moment on is the gem here for me. I agree with Actorman that instead of jamming all their hits together, it would have been better to pick a few of the hits have Karen sing them in full and then introduce 1 or 2 new tracks they are working on to get the public interested in their next album or consider doing a non hit to showcase Karen's vocal.

Of the 2 above I am considering getting the SHM of Live at the Palladium since I've been impressed with the sound quality. However at $50.00 bucks..I'm still thinking. :D

The last time LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM was issued in Japan, it was titled LIVE IN LONDON. I've always figured that, since Palladium is a strange word even for English-speakers, they just retitled it to make it more understandable to the Japanese audience.

I suspect there's quite a bit of unreleased material from the LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM concert; whoever put the LP together just edited it down to a single LP's length. It was rumored a few years back that a live version of "Good Vibrations/Comin' Through the Rye" from the Palladium concert was going to be included on AS TIME GOES BY, but of course that didn't happen.

Another thing that has puzzled me is that LIVE IN JAPAN is always issued as a 2-CD set -- the total length of both discs combined is only an hour and two minutes or so, so it would EASILY fit onto one disc. For a mini-LP reproduction I can understand having two discs, but not for a standard release... They just get to charge us a bunch more.

Oh, and I did break down and order both albums on SHM-CD. I just couldn't help myself. I sure hope there's a noticeable improvement in the sound quality!

David

davidgra said:
Another thing that has puzzled me is that LIVE IN JAPAN is always issued as a 2-CD set -- the total length of both discs combined is only an hour and two minutes or so, so it would EASILY fit onto one disc. For a mini-LP reproduction I can understand having two discs, but not for a standard release... They just get to charge us a bunch more.
David

This edition of Live In Japan is a single disc. (The sleeve is still a gatefold. They just put the inserts in the other slot.)

I saw Carpenters perform live about 9 times and the best shows were in '75 (Horizon era) and even then hits were abbreviated. 'Only Yesterday' was #4 on Billboard at that time and I really wanted to hear the full version. Karen looked amazingly beautiful in her Veronica Lake hair, sat down at the drums and played a faster, shorter version of the top 4 hit. In '76? they were at an outdoor venue and I was so far back, in the rain, that the stage streamers looked like dancing girls at first. The show was short, fast and I'm not sure how they looked 'cause I didn't bring my telescope. Karen's large boobs brought laughter and made people see her in a different light. I have both 'Live In Japan' and 'Live At The Palladium' but don't think that it captures their live sound...if that is even possible.

Nov 9, 2009
According to HMV.co.jp, studio albums will be released again. International Import or Europe Import.
"as times go by"
"Lovelines"
"Voice of the Heart"
"Made In America"
"Passage"
"Horizon"
"Christmas Portrait"

Sakura

December 2, 2009
Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters
from Japan, Universal International
UIBY1061
3800Yen

Mine was not from Universal.

(Years ago I have seen two kinds of import DVD "Close To You - Remembering The Carpenters" at shop. One was in English/Spanish/French, 1500Yen. Another was in English/Korean or something, also 1500Yen.)
HMV.co.jp has Oct 5 reissue of the DVD(English/Spanish/French), 2510Yen.
I didn't get the cheep one, I could have gotten it with only 1500Yen. The first Japanese release might be 5800Yen or so.)

Sakura

I finally got all of the SHM CD album reissues and must say that I am completely satisfied with the artwork! Wow. With the 30th and 35th Anniversary releases I was a young high school and jr high kid and couldn't afford them. Now near my mid 20's I still can't afford them, but they were worth the dough. We're so lucky to have these releases, faaaar superior to the late 1980's CD releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom