• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

38 Special -- back at the Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
There were expectation Hurricane Ivan's remnants would rain out shows at the TN Valley Fair (where the Knack performed Wed.), but the front headed over the mountains and dry weather prevailed Friday as long-time Southern Rockers & A&M artists 38 Special took the stage.
While they're promoting their new album DRIVETRAIN, the set included most of their familiar hits from the A&M era. SInger/Frontman Donnie Van Zant held an unplugged guitar when he wasn't twirling the mike stand. There was good sound quality and a larger crowd compared to Wednesday.
Here's what we heard:

Rocking Into the Night
20th Century Fox
Back Where You Belong
Wild Eyed Southern Boys
"Putting the Squeeze On You"
If I'd Been the One
Rebel to Rebel
Fantasy Girl
Hurts Like Love -- from new album
Extended Drum Solo
Red Lights
Somebody Like You
Teacher, Teacher
"We'll Be Rocking"
Stone Cold Believer
This Night
Second Chance
Caught Up in You

Encore: Chain Lightning/ Hold On Loosely/ Back in the USA/ Traveling Band (CCR cover).

The fair continues through tomorrow, when A&M vets The Gin Blossoms are scheduled to perform. Concerts are free with admission. What a deal!

JB

www.38Special.com

Sounds like a great concert! I'd really have loved to see that one!

I've always thought .38 Special is pretty underappreciated. Yeah, their "Southern rock" is really diluted [at least in comparison to bands like Skynyrd or the Allman Brothers, anyway] and they're not the best of "album artists", but I probably reach for their 45s more often than I pull out my Skynyrd or Allman Bros. albums. .38 Special was just a really, really great singles band, and I kinda think it's a shame that most of their stuff doesn't get any notable radio play anymore ["Caught Up in You" pops up once in a while on the local classic-rock station, and "Second Chance" gets a sizable amount of soft-rock-station play, but just about every other one of their 45s qualifies for "lost singles" material - "You Keep Runnin' Away," "If I'd Been the One," "Back Where You Belong," "Like No Other Night" ... good stuff!]

Jeff F.
NP: .38 Special "You Keep Runnin' Away"

.38 Special, to me is a "lighter" Lynyrd Skynrd or a slightly "heavier" Atlanta Rhythm Section...

"A Heart Needs A Second Chance" is one of my favorite songs by them; Heartfelt :love: and a "tear-jerker", too! :sad: :cry:

I agree, they don't have the following The Allman Brothers did, but just the same, I'm glad they put on a good show! I'd have liked to have been there, too.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom