• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M Cornerites Top 10 Favorite Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Bob, sorry, I never heard of Thilo Wolf. Which band does he belong to?

If I had to choose my favorite German singer, it would be Herbert Grönemeyer. I like to listen to his songs on the radio, but so far I haven't bought one of his albums. He is the biggest star in Germany nowadays, touring and playing in sport arenas before huge crowds.

Mr.J, I enjoyed your choice of singers and albums. "Round Midnight" is the best from Linda Ronstadt, I agree. Whenever I hear these songs, I think, that's the sort of songs Karen Carpenter should have recorded as a solo artist in the Eighties, if she were still alive.
Check out Ronstadt's album "Cry like a rainstorm", produced by Peter Asher, with the Grammy winning single "Don't know much". Great CD.

Bruno

Bruno,Karen actually did record several standards in the late 70's,that Linda subsequently did for her Nelson Riddle albums.("Little Girl Blue","When I Fall In Love","My Funny Valentine","Someone To Watch Over Me",as well as other standards "I Can Dream,Can't I,"From This Moment On",etc.) I would say without hesitation that Karen's rendition of "Little Girl Blue" is by far the most definitive version of that song,as well as one of Karen's finest performances.Almost every jazz/torch singer has recorded "Little Girl Blue",and I've heard Frank Sinatra's version,Ella Fitzgerald's,Nina Simone's,as well as Linda Ronstadt's.Karen turned that song into a velvety smooth masterpiece!

Diana Ross' version of LGB is terrific. Actaully, she sings it with a different type of vulnerabilty than Karen. Check it out.
Mark

BTW- I remember hearing Linda R sing "Skylark" for the 1st time and recognizing "Karen notes" all over the place...
Mark

My #1 artist is The Carpenters, though as you can see from my list below I am not your typical Carpenters fan. I primarily enjoy male vocals and my favorite musical genre is classic rock and alternative rock. Since I have so many favorites I just couldn't leave my list at the top ten so I made a top 20 list plus a few favorable mentions.
:rolleyes:

1. The Carpenters
2. Adrian Belew
3. The Beatles
4. Donna Summer
5. Led Zeppelin
6. Pink Floyd
7. King Crimson (primarily The Adrian Belew lead King Crimson)
8. Jimi Hendrix
9. David Bowie
10. U2
11. Tom Petty
12. Renaissance
13. Roxy Music
14. Massivivid (Christian alternative rock group current artist)
15. Poor Old Lu ( another Christian alt rock group who is currently releasing music)
16. Steely Dan
17. Stevie Wonder
18. Moody Blues
19. Earth, Wind And Fire
20. Paul McCartney & Wings

Favorable Mentions:
Anthony More aka Anthony Moore (I discovered him in 1980 he was included on a Stiff records compilation, I bought five of his albums.)
Coldplay
Blondie
The Police
Brian Eno
Joe Jackson

Carpenters
England Dan & John Ford Coley
Raspberries
Celine Dion (first four English albums only, and last 3 Francophone albums)
Elton John (especially pre-1977)
Alan Parsons Project
Bread
Billy Joel
ABBA
Four Seasons (1970's albums in particular)

For the most part, am I a guy stuck in the 70's or what??!

SORRY BRUNO, I DIDN'T GET A NOTICE THAT YOU REPLIED.

THILO LEADS A TERRIFIC BIG BAND IN GERMANY. HE PLAYS THE PIANO LIKE OSCAR PETERSON AND THE DRUMS LIKE BUDDY RICH. HE FREQUENTLY STARS IN HIS OWN TV SPECIALS.

I HAD THE CHANCE TO MEET HIM A FEW YEARS BACK AT THE SYD LAWRENCE BIG BAND FEST IN ENGLAND AND WE'VE STAYED IN TOUCH. IF YOU HAPPEN TO HEAR HIM LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom