• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

A&M Goodies At The Record Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I just got back from the Austin Record Convention, and came away with some goodies. I'm actually kind of proud of myself this time, because I didn't just grab everything in sight as usual. I guess I already have most things that I want, except for the very rare items (which I didn't find today). I did see one dealer who had a ton of Carpenters stuff, especially all of these Japanese LPs - some concerts and some compilations. Since I'm not a Carps fan I really didn't go through that stuff, but I think there's a couple of local Cornerites who may want to check it out on Sunday.

Here's what I dragged home today:

The A&M stuff first:

Roger Kellaway - Center Of The Circle SP-3040 (LP; there was also a letter included dated 8/29/72 from an Alan Metter to Steve Goldman of A&M. Was this in everybody else's copy?) $2

Billy Crystal - Mahvelous! SP-5096 (LP) $4

Bill Dana/Joey Forman - The Mashuganishi Yogi SP-4144 (LP) $5

Tim Weisberg - Tim Weisberg SP-3039 (LP) $3

Quincy Jones - A&M Gold Series (German CD) $8

Quincy Jones - Gula Matari CD-0820 $8

Wes Montgomery - Road Song CD-0822 $15

Joe Cocker - Classics Volume 4 (CD) $8

Herb Alpert & TJB - Tijuana Taxi/Zorba The Greek (45 and very clean!) $2

Herb Alpert - This Guy's In Love With You/A Quiet Tear (45 with pic sleeve) $3

Herb Alpert/TJB - You Are My Life/Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine (45 with pic sleeve) $10

And now for the non-A&M stuff:

Kai Winding - Kai Ole (Verve LP) $4

Pete Jolly - The Best Of... (Mainstream LP) $6

Urbie Green & 21 Trombones - Rock, Blues, Jazz (Project 3 LP) $5

Charlie Byrd - Latin Byrd (Milestone 2-LP) $5

Eric Clapton - Journeyman (Reprise CD) $4

The Crusaders - Southern Comfort (MCA CD) $8

Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run (CBS CD) $8

Maynard Ferguson - Chameleon (CBS CD) $5

Aerosmith - Pump (Geffen CD) $3

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night; Rubber Soul; Revolver; Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (all sealed CDs) $10 each

Outside of the Wes Montgomery CD and Herb's "You Are My Life" 45, I didn't have to pay much for anything. I did see some other pricey items, such as Herb's Wild Romance going for $50, plus some of the Dore Alpert 45s going for $15 each (I already have those). I did see a copy of Billy Hart's Enhance going for $20, but the digi-pak was all torn up, so I passed. I didn't see any BMB or Lani items, only a couple of Sergio's stuff. Still, it was a pretty good day and I still have money in my pocket. :D

Capt. Bacardi
NP: Wes Montgomery - Road Song

Nice haul there, Capt.
I have a promo copy of Kellaway's CENTER (SP 3040) with the Goldman letter glued to the back cover inside the shrink wrap. The record is inside a light blue plain A&M sleeve. Inside the jacket is a 12-page booklet of promotional material. This includes a glossy B&W photo of Kellaway, biography and discrography, both as leader and sessions person.
In my estimation you did not pay too much for the Montgomery disc. After the digi-pack version went out of print it was plentiful in the standard jewel box for a long time. Now it's not so easy to find, so you were wise to snap it up.
That Austin show is one I'd like to take in one day.
JB

LPJim said:
Nice haul there, Capt.
I have a promo copy of Kellaway's CENTER (SP 3040) with the Goldman letter glued to the back cover inside the shrink wrap. The record is inside a light blue plain A&M sleeve. Inside the jacket is a 12-page booklet of promotional material. This includes a glossy B&W photo of Kellaway, biography and discrography, both as leader and sessions person.

That Austin show is one I'd like to take in one day.
JB

Hmmm, I haven't seen Kellaway's CIRCLE issued with anything but the record, for years. :rolleyes:

One of those albums I didn't buy with its COMPLETE ACCESSORIES when I had the chance, even when I got to play it in the store. But at another store a year or two later (when that one closed), is when I finally DID buy it. :confused:

Dave

...who would also like to check out that Austin show, too, someday...

I am a Carp's fan & wish I could have seen what they had. Sounds like fun.

As a side note, I went yesterday to my local barnes & noble bookstore looking for that mag called, Goldmine? I think that was the name someone here gave me. But no luck. I was hoping I could see if there are any record shows in my area. & to preview the mag.

I did find a mag called record collector but that was printed from England & didn't really work for me here in the US

Is there any other bookstore that carries this? Or is there a weblink to order online? Is this a monthly issue mag?

Thanks

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
As a side note, I went yesterday to my local barnes & noble bookstore looking for that mag called, Goldmine? Is there any other bookstore that carries this?

I usually see this at a Barnes & Noble and just about any bookstore. Even some CD stores have Goldmine in it. Keep checking, you should find it pretty easily.

Capt. Bacardi

A reminder that Goldmine is the size of a daily newspaper tabloid(e.g.-The N.Y. Daily News) and B&N may keep it on a seperate rack away from the conventional slick magazines. Borders usually keeps Goldmine on the bottom shelf of their entertainment magazine rack with Discoveries,Variety and Billboard. If your area Tower has a magazine section,it,too,will probably be on the bottom shelf. Mac

You can order a subscription to Goldmine (and Discoveries, a "sister" publication) through Amazon. Goldmine publishes once ever two weeks, $39.95/year. I used to subscribe...I really should get back on the bandwagon again.

Wow! Nice haul. I have several coppies of "You Are My Lfe"/"Good Morning Mr Sunshine" (ochre and WLPromo) and none have a pic sleeve. Is it US? Any chance of a scan?

--Mr Bill
whose Center Of The Circle did NOT have that letter...

Mr Bill said:
Wow! Nice haul. I have several coppies of "You Are My Lfe"/"Good Morning Mr Sunshine" (ochre and WLPromo) and none have a pic sleeve. Is it US? Any chance of a scan?

It is US and here's a scan (same photo on both sides):

Img5.jpg

Capt. Bacardi

I wanted to tell you all that I finally got a copy of the Goldmine Mag, the one I have has a pic of Ringo Star on it dated Nov 14 2003. It's nice to see that they don't just cater to hard rock or to just one kind of music, I see they have reviews from Bing Crosby to Steely Dan to Prince to The Beatles, so that is good.

I also picked up a copy of another one called Discoveries (for record & Cd collectors) this one has Johnny Cash on the cover. Anyone familar with that one?

I got both of them from a local record dealer who has his own shop.

I also picked up a copy of another one called Discoveries (for record & Cd collectors) this one has Johnny Cash on the cover. Anyone familar with that one?

Yes, they are very similar. Discoveries also takes a look at how much people have been paying for "rare" LPs & CDs. Herb Alpert has been mentioned quite a bit as far as how some fans have paid up to $450 for a CD copy of S.R.O. on eBay and things like that. You can pick up some good info on both mags.

Capt. Bacardi

Have a question about the Goldmine Mag & Discoveries, on some of the advertisements from dealers, they say there is a auction some say that they end at a certain time, what are they talking about ebay? Or some other kind of auction? I was confused about that. Some of those dealers have there own website to order 45 & LP's but I didn't understand when they talked about auctions.

Have a question about the Goldmine Mag & Discoveries, on some of the advertisements from dealers, they say there is a auction some say that they end at a certain time, what are they talking about ebay? Or some other kind of auction? I was confused about that. Some of those dealers have there own website to order 45 & LP's but I didn't understand when they talked about auctions.

It's probably their own personal auction, not to be confused with eBay or any other auction. A lot of the ads in these magazines will have individual auctions. That's the way we dealt with things before the internet (my God, how old am I? ).

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom