• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

A&M Records People......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and I can prove it.
Tonight while shopping at the Disc Exchange (used discs) I found a box full of cored record labels which have been converted into drink coasters ($4 each). I fished out all the A&M label ones and brought them home; three in all.
They were all silver-label era titles by Supertramp (EVEN IN THE QUIETEST MOMENTS), Styx (GRAND ILLUSION) and Joan Baez (HERE'S TO LIFE).
Don't expect to actually use them as coasters. I'd rather keep them intact.
JB

Harry said:
I nominate Rudy for 'cult-leader'.

Dunno...that sounds frighteningly close to me being David Koresh's little brother or something... :confused:

:wink:

Steven J. Gross said:
...are we a CULT? :twisted:

Yes, we are very much a cult--however a "cult" in the good sense; so far, anyway.

For the time and money I have invested in my music (...and little there is to show; I didn't like EVERYTHING I bought and couldn't make up for every $ & ¢ spent...!) I have, for the most part, enjoyed what A&M Corner has introduced me to. Collecting from a "label perspective" has been how I have added stuff to my collection that I never knew existed.

But, there are still a lot of folks out there, whom I still wish could easily be as interested as we are from a Listening & Collecting Perspective! It is still hard to "A&M-inize", and in my case, "ABC-ify" The World.

There are still people, I wish could get into the wide variety of music that sets A&M apart from other labels (and that a few other labels at least tried to be). But they are into only the new stuff or have some other "complacency" in what they listen to.

In which case, there will always be our "Small Circle Of Friends". :tongue:

Dave

....who sacrificed a lot to have good stuff to hear...and can prove it... :sad:

As soon as Rudy starts serving Kool-Aid, I'll quit!

--Mr Bill
recalling Jim Jones, Guyana and Kool-Aid being the other key words when learning the dark side of the word "cult" way back when...

Mr Bill said:
As soon as Rudy starts serving Kool-Aid, I'll quit!

--Mr Bill
recalling Jim Jones, Guyana and Kool-Aid being the other key words when learning the dark side of the word "cult" way back when...

Well, THERE goes Friday night's party! :laugh:

Time to recall the classic Koresh jokes:

1. What was Koresh wearing when he died?
Charcoal trousers and a smoking jacket.

2. How many Branch Davidians fit in a Volkswagen?
Six total. Two in the seats and four in the ashtrays.

JB

And if the Branch Davidians invite you to a BBQ, I recommend you not accept the invitation. :laugh:

If you skip the religious connotations, the definition of “Cult” is: (1) Obsessive devotion to a person, principal or ideal. (2) An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric interest. And, if your vocabulary is as poor as mine, the definition of “Esoteric” is: Intended for or understood only by a particular group.

Personally I’ve never been a big fan of cults, they tend to scare the heck out of me. I’d prefer to think of myself as a lover of music and a citizen of the world with discriminating taste (not to be confused with a snob). So far I’ve found the A&M Forum to be a group of people that are quite different and similar at the same time. People gather and share new ideas and discoveries, disagree and agree good naturedly, and offer advice; all in the name of fun and the love of music. This is a great place where wonderful people communicate – not (in my opinion) a cult.

Mike said:
This is a great place where wonderful people communicate – not (in my opinion) a cult.

My feeling exactly. :) I'm not even a big A&M "geek" myself--I own a lot of A&M and enjoy it, but that's just a drop in the bucket in comparison to the rest of what I listen to and collect.

Well...I know I'm a part of the cult known as 'Brasil Nuts' -- of that much I'm sure!

As for being an A&M GeeK? Heck, yeah!! It's been in my blood since childhood and stayed with me ever since...something of which I'm extremely proud!!

Jon

...who knows he's in good company...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom