A senior citizen "newby" story

Hi folks! I think I may have a different story than many others here. I'm an American male on his second (VERY happy) marriage who grew up loving classical music, then discovered the Beatles. As a teenager, I was mostly interested in British progressive rock. I liked Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Eagles, etc. But I was happiest going to a Yes, Tull, Genesis, or Supertramp concert. Of course, I was aware of the Carpenters, but I thought of that as "pop" music that my parents would approve of, so never I really gave them much thought.

I was still in this mode when I heard of Karen's passing and saw that shocking cover on People magazine. "How could that happen?" I thought to myself: What a shame, and moved on. So how did I get here? A bit of personal history...

I was a HISTORY enthusiast. It was my major in college, and after 20 years in the investing field, I got my post-graduate degree in Teaching Secondary Social Sciences (in USA that means teaching high school history). This came about after teaching some adult classes on different subjects (oneof which was a very popular class on the Beatles.) I'm good at what I do (so I have been told) and I transferred that into 20 years in the classroom (and still teach a bit on the side because I love it.)

So, where do the Carpenters come in? Pure chance. Three years ago, it's Christmas time, and I'm listening to Christmas songs on satellite radio. On comes, "No place like home for the holidays." I was waiting to pick up one of my children and with the clarity of satellite radio and a premium sound system in my car, it all comes together. The arrangement is so good. I think to myself, "man, that woman had an EXPRESSIVE voice, even on such a oft-recorded song, this version stands out." And I started adding their offerings to my Christmas playlist.

Now, as a history guy, once I am interested in something, I have to know EVERYTHING. All the books, internet searches for articles, videos on YouTube etc. It was so wonderful and SO SAD. I would hear another song...shake my head...and say, "oh Karen." I have a different take on her health, which might not fit with others take, but it is what it is. That's for later.

I get Apple music as I want EVERYTHING...and, to cut to the chase, I was preparing to do a class on the Carpenters for my school where I do my adult courses. They accepted it, but I had to pass this year for personal reasons as I had a son going through a nasty divorce and hope to try again next year. I may not be a MUSICAL expert, but their timing in US and WORLD History is important as well.

SO...where am I now. Collecting photos, videos (what a DRUMMER!) interviews, reminiscences and testimony of colleagues and band members. It's an AMAZING story. And, I hope our foreign fans won't find this offensive, it's a very AMERICAN story. So many things of the music world I knew of before my recent discovery fit in. I used to imagine having a time machine and stopping John Wilkes Booth, or talking to George Washington...now I imagine making smoothies for Karen so she would keep some sort of normal nutritional health. I know, silly, but your thoughts head down that road...even though I don't think people thought she was truly risking death...

So, where do I fit in? Not sure. So many people here know so much more, but perhaps there is a need for someone who "read something once" and can remember where something might have been written. More than anything, I work to keep my chin up. I'm sure it's harder for you fans who have mourned her passing in your own way since 2/4/83, but I was at an age where I could have gone to see them live. What I REALLY would have like to have done is go to some concerts with her. See the great drummers like Bill Bruford, Phil Collins, Billy Cobham. Do we know if she did much of that? I would imagine not since coming home was to recharge...not go out and see what else is going on in music. I also love so much music of the 70s that I often wonder whether there were choices that Richard rejected in the 70s, that had she lived, he might have taken a second look in later years. I have in mind a picture, perhaps from Rolling Stone, of them sitting in a room surrounded by record albums. This is the kind of thing my brother and I did for YEARS, long after we grew up and got married.

Anyway, just thought I'd put this out. I guess I want to end with this idea that someone like Chris May might actually know if this has come up. I know Richard was not happy about the KC story/Cynthia Gibbs TV movie. I think there is a good chance that a really good telling of their story (heavy on the suburbian kids succeed, lighter on the anorexia) with a LOT of their music in the soundtrack. Not that he needs the money, but music today is such crap. I really feel sorry for this generation. (my wife and I often hear "our music" in public areas and it make us sad because they don't know how bad their stuff is in comparison.) Chances are they will do one after he is gone. Why not do it now while you can have some say?

Anyway, happy to be here among those who appreciate their talent, expertise, and more than anything, joy. Final comment: I love the Budokan concert because Karen looks so happy playing the drums...especially the flying hair on "Johnny Be Goode". Oh Karen...what should have been...

Cheers, L2TP

Welcome "Late", it's always nice to meet new people, whether they are longtime fans or just discovered the Carpenters yesterday. I was lucky enough to have been around when "Ticket To Ride" was playing on the radio and took note of that remarkable sound. I bought the "Close To You" single immediately and kept pace with all of their releases and concerts thereafter - and here I am - another "senior citizen" with a boatload of Carpenters records, CDs, DVDs, still discussing them on the Internet lo these many years later.

... As a teenager, I was mostly interested in British progressive rock. I liked Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Eagles, etc. But I was happiest going to a Yes, Tull, Genesis, or Supertramp concert.
Well, this is a very good sign - speaking of great harmonies, CSNY was right up there with the best of them - always loved their stuff!
So, where do the Carpenters come in? Pure chance. Three years ago, it's Christmas time, and I'm listening to Christmas songs on satellite radio. On comes, "No place like home for the holidays." I was waiting to pick up one of my children and with the clarity of satellite radio and a premium sound system in my car, it all comes together. The arrangement is so good. I think to myself, "man, that woman had an EXPRESSIVE voice, even on such a oft-recorded song, this version stands out." And I started adding their offerings to my Christmas playlist.
No surprise here - one of her best holiday songs - so well done & listenable - most of the good people here have a certain song (or a whole album) that stopped them in their tracks and made them instant Carpenter fans - for me it was WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN way back at the start and then after I had lost track of them for quite a while it was RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS and MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING...
I get Apple music as I want EVERYTHING...and, to cut to the chase, I was preparing to do a class on the Carpenters for my school where I do my adult courses. They accepted it, but I had to pass this year for personal reasons...

Any chance it will be an online class - I'd love to sit in on that...
now I imagine making smoothies for Karen so she would keep some sort of normal nutritional health. I know, silly, but your thoughts head down that road...even though I don't think people thought she was truly risking death...
Smoothies just might have worked - I think we've all had our fantasies about what we might have done to help her - if we had just been there...
Anyway, happy to be here among those who appreciate their talent, expertise, and more than anything, joy. Final comment: I love the Budokan concert because Karen looks so happy playing the drums...especially the flying hair on "Johnny Be Goode". Oh Karen...what should have been...

Cheers, L2TP
Yes! I just watched that concert again and commented in another thread recently of how she simply rocked her drum set on that song - loved her behind there beating the living crap out of the kit - she was always in freakin' 7th Heaven when she was ensconced there!

Yes, welcome. Loyal Carpenters fan since 1971.
Harry and a couple others have me beat by a year or so. Never too late to join though. Cheers!!

I doubt there is anyone on this board who has been a fan of Carpenters from Day One, although I was certainly aware of that first album for several years before I actually heard it, since I was in the record biz at the time. Plus as a collector of many of the A&M artists like Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, Baja Marimba Band, Sandpipers and a few others, I would see this album "Offering" by Carpenters on the occasional innersleeve and in the "A&M Mini Catalog." But the first time I actually heard them was in a local restaurant... "Close to You" played on a small radio, and the first thing that attracted me was not Karen's voice, but the trumpet solo. I thought it sounded like Herb Alpert. I'm probably one of the few Carps' fans who was first drawn to their music by a trumpet solo where I identified the wrong player!

Then later, at work, I heard it on the radio again and this time I was able to hear the name of the artist. I liked the music immediately, but so did my two sisters -- so I was forced to pretend I hated it, otherwise it just wouldn't be cool.

Eventually A Song For You came out, and that album was just so good that I finally had to admit that I was a fan.

I might be the closest thing around here to a "Day 1" fan, as I recall hearing "Ticket To Ride" on the radio back in the fall of 1969. Back then, I'd record songs off of the radio on my reel-to-reel recorder as a money-saving way of acquiring a large library of music. It took a few times hearing "Ticket To Ride" playing that I decided that I wanted to capture that one. The harmonies from this unknown musical group were enough to push the song into my "want" column. Unfortunately, the very moment that I made the decision to tape it the next time it came on - it was off of the station's rotation.

When "Close To You" started airing in the summer of 1970, I remember being in a store's record department and saw that this Carpenters group recorded for A&M, my favorite label at the time from being a Herb Alpert fan among others on the label. That was almost like a seal of approval for me and I bought the 45 right away. As I recall it was also the first 45 I ever saw in stereo. As soon as the CLOSE TO YOU album was released, I bought that one day one for sure. I raved about it and my sister said she knew of another Carpenters album in her record store, and asked if I wanted it as a Christmas present that year. That of course was the OFFERING album that hadn't sold and remained on the shelf of that particular record store. So, by Christmas 1970, I owned two Carpenters albums and a 45!

I might be the closest thing around here to a "Day 1" fan, as I recall hearing "Ticket To Ride" on the radio back in the fall of 1969. Back then, I'd record songs off of the radio on my reel-to-reel recorder as a money-saving way of acquiring a large library of music. It took a few times hearing "Ticket To Ride" playing that I decided that I wanted to capture that one. The harmonies from this unknown musical group were enough to push the song into my "want" column. Unfortunately, the very moment that I made the decision to tape it the next time it came on - it was off of the station's rotation.

When "Close To You" started airing in the summer of 1970, I remember being in a store's record department and saw that this Carpenters group recorded for A&M, my favorite label at the time from being a Herb Alpert fan among others on the label. That was almost like a seal of approval for me and I bought the 45 right away. As I recall it was also the first 45 I ever saw in stereo. As soon as the CLOSE TO YOU album was released, I bought that one day one for sure. I raved about it and my sister said she knew of another Carpenters album in her record store, and asked if I wanted it as a Christmas present that year. That of course was the OFFERING album that hadn't sold and remained on the shelf of that particular record store. So, by Christmas 1970, I owned two Carpenters albums and a 45!

I was right there at Day One with you or earlier. I heard this beautiful song - Ticket To Ride - and singer on the radio. I asked my brother about the song. He was a Beatles fan, and that was what peeked his interest. Close To You was released in Spring/Summer 1970. I will always remember the day I saw 3 girls singing Close To You while walking by my house. Hot summer & hot girls.

I had enough money for the single but not the album. One of my other brothers asked what I wanted for Christmas 1970, and I told him about the album. I got it! How much were LP albums? For some reason, $2.99, and $3.99 was a king's ransom for new releases.

Regarding A & M, I had the Liza Minnelli Foursider. My go-to for my growing Liza fever. I had her dreadful 60's Capitol albums, but her A & M albums were her best and have aged well for me. Liza's Capitol albums were $.75 in the cut out bins on the sidewalk!

Back
Top Bottom