• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Create your own Carpenters TV album

Without A Song

Given that Karen and Richard recorded many songs specifically for TV programs, both ones they hosted and those they were guests on, I thought it would be fun to imagine what a Carpenters TV album might have as a track list.

Here are the ground rules I'm suggesting:

1. Every song or medley must have been performed on TV before being placed on a Carpenters album.

2. Medleys are considered as one track.

3. Songs must be as performed on TV, not on a later album version.

4. A total of 12 songs can be chosen, plus one hidden track.

Here's my proposed Carpenters TV album in no particular order:

1. "Make Your Own Kind of Music." From the same-titled summer series they co-hosted in 1971. I've always wondered if Karen and Richard ever recorded the whole song on their own.

2. "Make Me Laugh." From the 1976 Dorothy Hamill Special.

3. "Medley With Carol Burnett." 1972 "The Carol Burnett Show." Carol's added vocals make this different from the medley that appeared on the tan album in 1971, plus the song order isn't quite the same. either. What I love most about this track is it seems to be a live recording.

4. "Little Girl Blue." 1980 "Music, Music, Music."

5. "Dancin' in the Streets." 1968 "Your All-American College Show."

6. "Perry Como/Carpenters Medley" 1974 Perrey Como Special

7. John Denver/ Karen Carpenter "Coming Through the Rye"/"Good Vibrations." 1976 "Carpenters First Television Special."

8. "Karen Carpenter/Ella Fitzgerald Medley" 1980 "Music, Music, Music."

9. "Toyland." 1978 "Carpenters -- A Christmas Portrait."

10. "And When He Smiles." 1971 "Carpenters at the BBC."

11. "Dizzy Fingers." 1980 "Music, Music, Music."

12. "1980 Medley." "Music, Music, Music."

13. Hidden track: "Thank You for the Music." 1978 "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" but hosted that night by John Davidson.

I would add Dance In the Old Fashioned Way from 1978 Close Encounters special. I love the depth and resonance in Karen’s lower range on that song and of course each interval is precise in pitch

1) Good Day Sunshine, Trains and Boats and Planes/Wishin' and Hopin'/ I Wanna Be Free etc. from Make Your Own Kind Of Music would be on mine for sure.

2) Just An Old Fashioned Love Song from Carol Burnett. I wish they would have recorded that one when Paul Williams first sent it over

3) And When He Smiles - BBC Special

4) Little Girl Blue - Space Encounters

5) Karen / Ella medley - Music, Music, Music

6) Perry Como / Carpenters Medley - Music, Music, Music

7) Make Your Own Kind Of Music -

8] Karen's Drum Solo - First TV Special

9)Karen, Ben Vereen, Toni Tenille Silly Love Songs 1978 ABC Silver Anniversary Special

10) Sleigh Ride - Carpenters At Christmas

11) Dancin' In The Streets - Your All American College Show

12) Where Do I Go From Here? - The Karen Carpenter Story

13) Bonus/ Hidden Track - Karen's Theme - The Karen Carpenter Story

Back
Top Bottom