Alan & Marilyn Bergman-Mendes connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Mendes,

The songwriters husband and wife team Alan & Marilyn (A&M) Bergman collaborated in seven wonderful songs on five Sergio Mendes albums:

From Equinox:
1) Cinnamon and Clove from Equinox,
music by the legendary composer arranger Johnny Mandel.

From Look around:
2) Like a lover,
music by the Great Brazilian Composer/guitarist Dori Caymmi.
3) So many stars,
music by Sergio Mendes
4) Look Around,
music by Sergio Mendes

From fool on the hill:
5)When summer turns to snow,
music by off time Mendes- Great Maestro Arranger/Pianist Dave Grusin

From Crystal Illussions:
Pretty World,
music by the Great Brazilian Composer/Pianist Music Teacher extraordinaire Antonio Adolfo Sabayo.

From the R&B ballad orientated
Sergio Mendes (Elektra debut album 1975)
The trouble with hello is goodbye,
music by Dave Grusin. (as well production and arrangments and i guess Dave Grusin played a lot of keyboard parts on that album))

Marilyn & Alan Bergman wrote the lyrics of the above mentioned songs as well the liner notes on the LOOK Around album as you all well know.

One of the most famous songs they wrote during the Capitol era of
Frank Sinatra was the most air-played 1960 hit NICE AND EASY,
as Marilyn Keith/ Alan Bergman with music by Lew Spence.
So this is A&M by the way, Alan and Marilyn Bergman....

all the best Aqua do Brasil

You know, Sjef, people either like Marilyn and Alan Bergman or they don't. There's no in-between. Personally, I like them. I've heard their lyrics described as "contrite" and "childish" by many. To my ears, their lyrics are magical.

Take "Cinnamon & Clove" for example. "The water's crystal in your hands, the air is cinnamon and clove..." and "So come to my arms, I long for your kiss. The taste of the sea, salt is sweet upon your lips. There's love to be made on nights such as this. And time is but sand, drifting through our fingertips..." are classic lyrics through and through. Well suited to Mandel's melody and Mendes' upbeat treatment of the song.

"So Many Stars" and "Like A Lover" are classics (made so by Sergio and Lani alone -- although Carol Rogers had a way of making "So Many Stars" her own when she sung it on stage) all the way across the board. Real love songs.

"Look Around" is just a heck of a lot of fun. Like "Pretty World" and "One Note Samba", it's a lyrical playground of words and phrases. And, who can think of a song better suited to the sound of Brasil '66? They nailed "Look Around" lock, stock and barrel.

"When Summer Turns To Snow" is a beautiful song. The title says it all. "When a summer turns to snow, and you're alone once more, the memories pass your eyes, like treetops from a train, you watch them drift away. And helplessly you try, to catch them in your hands. A souvenir of love, to prove that you were there...were there at all..." Wow!! Talk about telling a story!! Amazing, and one of the most beautiful ballads Brasil '66 ever recorded. A classic.

Their work is timeless, from Sinatra to Mendes. I couldn't agree with you more. :wink:

Jon

...a sucker for symbolic lyrics, online...

There's also "Never Say Never Again", from the James Bond movie of the same name. Music by Michel Legrand, lyrics by Marilyn & Alan Bergman, produced by Sergio and Herb Alpert, performed by Lani Hall.

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, Captain, you're right! Talk about a reunion!! When these folks get together on something, they really get together!! :tongue:

Jon

Hey Jon,

Funny.....I always thought it was "like treetops from a cloud." Listening to it right now, it DOES sound more like "Train." Which makes even less sense.

I like all of the other songs mentioned in this thread but I don't like WSTTS at all. To me it stops that album dead in its tracks. I guess it's more the performance than the song itself that grates on me...it's as out of place as "I Know You" on PAIS TROPICAL is. Might have been better if they'd have let Lani sing the whole thing. (Different strokes, eh?)

Mike Blakesley said:
I like all of the other songs mentioned in this thread but I don't like WSTTS at all. To me it stops that album dead in its tracks. I guess it's more the performance than the song itself that grates on me...

That's how I've always felt...it really could have soared with Lani doing all the vocals, and Grusin's leaden, maudlin arrangement deep-sixed. :baah: Imagine it with Lani, a guitar in the forefront, and little else...it could have been an intimate little tune that way.

About the Bergman's though, for me they're like any other composer, lyricist or arranger. They have some tunes I like, and some I don't really care for but still appreciate. Not like it's *bad*, but just maybe not to my taste.

Rudy said:
That's how I've always felt...it really could have soared with Lani doing all the vocals, and Grusin's leaden, maudlin arrangement deep-sixed. :baah: Imagine it with Lani, a guitar in the forefront, and little else...it could have been an intimate little tune that way.

About the Bergman's though, for me they're like any other composer, lyricist or arranger. They have some tunes I like, and some I don't really care for but still appreciate. Not like it's *bad*, but just maybe not to my taste.

Really? I don't know. I've always liked "When Summer Turns To Snow" from a performance standpoint. I will say I didn't particularly like Sergio's vocal as a child. He is definitely an acquired taste. However, with time I came to appreciate the song and the arrangement. Then again, I like your idea about Lani, a guitar and little else. Would have given the song an entirely different perspective.

When it comes to Sergio and vocal solos, a favorite that comes to mind is "Cancao do Nosso Amor," a song well suited to his vocal talent. For years, my least favorites were "Where Are You Coming From" and "I Know You." Then I heard "Desenredo" from Horizonte Aberto, and decided that "Where Are You Coming From" and "I Know You" weren't so bad after all! No reflection on Sergio per-se. Like Astrud Gilberto, when given the right material, Sergio can make a song shine.

Jon

...wondering where I'm coming from, online...

brasil_nut said:
Then I heard "Desenredo" from Horizonte Aberto, and decided that "Where Are You Coming From" and "I Know You" weren't so bad after all! No reflection on Sergio per-se.

Funny how different personal tastes can be. "Desenredo" is one of Sergio's BEST vocal performances in my book!

Harry
...who could lose "I Know You" any day, online...

Really, Harry? Gee, "Desenredo" sounds flat to me, although heart-felt at the same time. Then again, the more I think about it, "I Know You" would have been even better with Karen Philipp doing the vocal.

Jon

...who sees "Where Harry's Coming From," online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom