All You Get From Love Is A Love Song - (Your Thoughts) -

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of that 1977 Carpenters song?

- All You Get From Love Is A Love Song -

I think it's a very well produced song. Nice variety of instruments : Lots of percussions, flute, saxophone, trumpet, electric piano, various guitars, strings sounds, nice background vocals (althouh it's not the classic "Carpenters" BG vocals).

I love the Jazzy chords in that song.

The song has a sublime easy going, "nice weather" sound..., I feel soft/warm wind in my hair and see a clear sunny sky when I listen to that song. :)

Ray Parker, Jr. of Raydio played guitar and Elvis Presley's drummer Ron Tutt appears on this track; the two played together on many recording projects for Denny Diante and the Late-Michael Stewart... They probably maintain close contact...

Well, the song, "All You Get From Love, Is A Love Song" is quite a turnaround for the Group... It was thought highly of to have been included on the 2-Disc set, Classics, Volume 2, as well as The Singles, 1974-1978 (Canada) and quite a few other compilations...

It was written by Steve Eaton who recorded it for himself, among other compositions such as "Rag Doll", which was also done by Art Garfunkel and Sammy Johns (of "Chevy Van"-fame) and "it's a dirty old shame" that Karen and Richard weren't turned-on enough by the rest of Eaton's catalog, as I think Karen would've sounded great doing "Hey, Mr. Dreamer", the title of Steve's LP... (We'll pass on "We're All Powered By The Same Old Juice", Thanks--Hey, even THAT might'a worked!!!...)

Dave

Roland Chayer said:
What do you think of that 1977 Carpenters song?

- All You Get From Love Is A Love Song -

I think it's a very well produced song. Nice variety of instruments : Lots of percussions, flute, saxophone, trumpet, electric piano, various guitars, strings sounds, nice background vocals (althouh it's not the classic "Carpenters" BG vocals).

I love the Jazzy chords in that song.

The song has a sublime easy going, "nice weather" sound..., I feel soft/warm wind in my hair and see a clear sunny sky when I listen to that song. :)

My feelings exactly! :thumbsup: I remember hearing it on WNIC when it first came out as a single, and we picked up a copy of it a month or two later. It's always been a favorite.

I've always liked trhis track. I remember when it came out as a single in the UK, May '77, and being really disappointed with the lack of chart success over here. But then, we appreciate class and talent, but how many other people did at that time? :wink:

Loved it! I was a program director of an Adult Contemporary station at the time..and thought it was tremendous...was hoping it was the beginning of a second wave of Carpenters hits...but too much had changed in the music world between 1970 and 1977.

---Michael Hagerty

Some of my favorite parts on that song are when Karen sings "..., like an ocean breeze"..., I like her tone/tremolo/sustain on the word "breeze"..., soft but powerful at the same time.

I love that nice melody pattern..., : "..., lighting up the world for ev'ryone, but not fo me". That's an awesome melody. :)

I have always preferred the upbeat songs in the Carpenters library, this being a favorite and one that I still play often. I figured it to be a hit. I mean top ten hit or better. Thinking back on it, but not at the time of it's release, I wonder if the opening was sort of "Captain and Tenilley" but, whatever. It has a great beat, a full sound and even tho' it wasn't disco, you can dance to it. Just ask my Jack Russell Terrier. The boy can move!

This is one of my all time favorite Carpenters songs, but most definitely my favorite Carpenters "summer" song. I spent the entire summer with family in Oahu (Hawaii) and I heard this song several times a day on local radio. I can't listen to it today without thinking of Waimea Bay - I can smell the suntan lotion as I type. :cool:

Another 'bonus' that summer was finding the "Live In Japan" LP(s) at the Ala Moana shopping center - a definite treasure for me then, and still today. The only problem with this was my cousins didn't own a stereo (yeah, I still can't figure that one out) so I had to wait until I returned home in early September to listen to it - and I bought it in mid-June. Talk about patience!

One thing about this song does 'bug me' - what are they singing in the chorus "all you get from love is a ____ love song". I could never figure that out. Any ideas?

It's funny how a simple lyric in a song can be so misunderstood.

For years, apparently, I've been mis-hearing the lyrics to Stevie Nicks' "Edge Of Seventeen". Since our station switched to '70s and Classic Rock back around a decade ago, I've been hearing this song at least twice a week, if not more. And I dutifully was singing along: "Just like the one we love..."

About a year ago, I had a revelation, and was convinced she was singing, "Just like the one-winged dove..." Proud, I wandered back to the studio to announce to the DJ that I finally "got" the lyrics, only to be dashed when I was informed that it's actually, "Just like the white-winged dove..."

Oh well. Stevie - you need to enunciate better...

Harry

Stevie always did that to me...can't remember what I thought she was singing in "Gypsy"...but boy, was I wrong (I think "lightning strikes" sounded like "black lace tights"...but that could just have been my then-26 year old bachelor's mind at work :rolleyes: )

There's actually a website that's been around about as long as A&M Corner devoted to misheard lyrics.....

www.kissthisguy.com

(the url is in reference to the way many people misheard Jimi Hendrix sing "excuse me while i kiss the sky" in Purple Haze.

---Michael Hagerty

"All You Get ...." is still one of Richard's favourite Carpenters singles ....he really enjoyed arranging this song & it still stands out as a great Carpenters track :cool:

Shame that All only charted at 35 in USA & failed to reach Top 50in UK ...perhaps most successful in Japan & Asia ? :)

Peter

My favorite of all Carpenter songs, with BEECHWOOD 5-6789 and I BELIEVE YOU close behind. I also prefer the more upbeat songs from their repetoire, and this one is the most enjoyable. When I first heard it, I thought it was a little out-of-character for K&R, because it was so upbeat...and the background vocals were different.

The local MOR station played this one for several years after it charted, well into the early '80's.

Dan

I remember it being played well into the early-1980's, myself! As I said it was quite a turnaround for Karen and Richard; a renewal for their career... At least 'til "Touch Me When We're Dancing" came along...!

Dave

Fantastic song. This one is unique in that it sported a much more muscular production than most Carpenters tracks. I love the fact that Richard and Karen didn't do these backgrounds by themselves in their usual way. They added another voice and it worked wonders. Very nicely done!

Ed

The Righteous Brothers also recorded it. I have it on one of their albums. It's been several years since I've listened to it, so I can't comment on their version without listening to it again. I love the Carpenters version and I can understand Richard's disappointment that the song didn't do better than it did.

The video of the song is one of my favorite Carpenters videos. Everyone looks like they're having a good time with the song, and Karen really looks exuberant singing it...

I do like this song from "Passage" I agree that at this time 1977, the music scene was changing rapidly. Groups like Carpenters were being considered Old School. These were the days of Disco.

Great record by them.

Honestly the first time I heard the song was when I bout the Yesterday Once More video collection. Instantly fell in love with it when I heard it.

Wish I had written it.

I remember in our local Singapore charts, it charted at No 2 (Sweet Sweet Smile went #1).

I also remember reading somewhere that a line in this song was misheard by some listeners as:

"Because the best love songs are written with a broken arm" (!)

(Correct version: Because the best love songs are written with a broken heart)

Calvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom