• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Amy Grant - Merry Christmas Darling

Status
Not open for further replies.

andywithaz

A friend of mine told me about Amy Grant covering Merry Christmas Darling on her last Christmas CD. However, it was released as a hidden bonus track only to Target stores.

Does anybody have anymore information about this track :?:

I am a fan of Amy Grant & think she has a great voice, I saw her in concert live twice once back during her tour for her album Lead Me On in the 80's and another for her tour of Heart in Motion in the 90's. Both times were excellent. The first one had more memories for me.

Your right Andrew, she did release MCD as a bonus track exclusive to target. I wished now that I bought it but I didn't, although I have 2 other Christmas CD's of her. I would love to hear her version of this to see if she sounds like Karen at all & if the arrangement is anything like Richard's. I also think that Gloria Estafon (sp?) also recorded MCD.

I have a video cassette of Amy (forget which I have a few) but somewhere on it it mentions how when she records she eats potato chips during recordings & in concerts, it greases up the vocal chords & helps her I guess this is a trick of the trade.

I bought that CD from Target during the holiday season it came out (for $11.98 on sale) for that very reason. It's a very hidden track; it actually counts down backwards at the end of the CD, with a long silence gap before it starts. I recorded it for a friend's Christmas mix tape that year, and I had to manually (or at least as manually as you can) cue the CD to avoid all the blank space. It's a nice rendition, slower than the Carpenters' version, and I think it's one of the best tracks on the CD.

When this holiday season comes around, you might want to check Target to see if they are still carrying it. I know that in some cases, a CD on which there is an "exclusive" track shows up in later years, too, if there are still copies in the warehouse. You may want to check used CD stores, too, but you'll need to play it before you buy -- "Merry Christmas Darling" is not listed at all on the CD, booklet or cover. The Target sticker on the shrink wrap of sealed copies, and probably a slightly different catalog number, are the only ways you can tell which version you have without playing it.

Also, depending on what label's special-markets division does Target's Christmas exclusive compilation CD this year, there's always the possibility it could end up there. In 2002, Target had an exclusive of india.arie and Stevie Wonder doing an uptempo duet of "The Christmas Song" (which Target also used in commercials) tacked on to her then-new CD. In 2003, that song appeared as one of the tracks on Target's holiday CD.

Read about Grant's bonus extra of MCD .....and wondered how different
this version could be to Carpenters original :confused:

Will have to look out for any surplus / cut outs if I return to USA this fall :?:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom