• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

An Idea For A New Compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpertfan

Herb Alpert recorded a number of songs from movies and Broadway shows, as well as a few songs that ended up as the background music for various TV shows such as, "The Dating Game". Looking at all of them, there's at least an album's worth of material. I think there should be some sort of compilation out that includes these cuts, specifically. (If I only knew how), I would compile these myself on a CDR from the original LPs. Granted, the songs only number twelve, but still... Here's what it would look like:

1. America (from, "West Side Story")
2. Hello, Dolly! (from, "Hello Dolly")
3. Whipped Cream (from, "The Dating Game")
4. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face (from, "My Fair Lady")
5. Zorba The Greek (from, "Zorba The Greek")
6. If I Were A Rich Man (from, "Fiddler On The Roof")
7. Mame (from, "Mame")
8. Gotta Lotta Livin' To Do (from, "Bye, Bye Birdie")
9. Carmen (from, "Carmen")
10. Cabaret (from, "Cabaret")
11. Talk To The Animals (from, "Dr. Doolittle")
12. Street Life (from, "General Hospital")

I think it would be interesting if Universal, or Collector's Choice, even, could compile these (and not necessarily in the above order) and put it out. :thumbsup:

-alpertfan...brainstorming on a Sunday afternoon

There's a few others:

Never on Sunday (from the movie of same name)
Tangerine (from the movie The Fleet's In)
Green Leaves of Summer (from a western whose title I've forgotten)
Up Cherry Street (was part of a BBC show)
I Will Wait For You (from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg)
The Happening (from The Happening)
Walk, Don't Run (from movie of same name)
The Shadow Of Your Smile (from The Sandpiper)
Promises, Promises (from play of same name)
I Have Dreamed (from an old B&W movie - I think it was a Cary Grant flick)
Rise (General Hospital - I don't recall Street Life on that show at all)
Last Tango In Paris (same movie)

Capt. Bacardi

And, MORE, the theme from Mondo Cane...HEARTS AFIRE from the TV show...MANIAC from Flashdance...THE LOVE NEST, THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES, GIRL TALK, SOUTH OF THE BORDER...lots of 'em!

Dan

"1980" as the NBC Summer Olympics Theme (though it went unused due to the US bailing on the summer games)

--Mr Bill

"My Heart Belongs To Daddy" was used in a Marilyn Monroe film.

What about the song ANGELITO from SOTB? I remember that the songbook I had had the sheet music for it, with guitar chords and the words were included, also. I figured that it HAD to be from a musical or movie, but I don't remember anything being included in the title that would suggest that.

And, while we're at it...how about ANNA from TBAC? Was it ever a showtune? I've heard it done with words, also...at a little slower tempo than Herb's version...Anna from Havana...

Dan

"Up Cherry Street" was the theme for the 1960s BBC Radio programme "Newly Pressed", a daily teatime trawl through the new releases, created to work around all manner of copyright restrictions that existed. Radio was only allowed to play a few hours a day of records, but "reviews" were permitted in addition, hence a daily 2 hours of "record reviews".

It was very popular with kids (aired at 4.30pm) and the theme music was a very important part of the whole thing!

The "Green Leaves of Summer" is from "The Alamo", a John Wayne movie that I think is being re-made. Wes Montgomery did a nice version on A&M.

"The Love Nest" was the theme song of Burns & Allen. "Thanks for the Memory" first appeared in "The Big Broadcast of 1938" with ole ski nose.

Isn't "Mondo Cane" Italian for "the world is going to the dogs."

Better make it a boxed set.

bob knack said:
The "Green Leaves of Summer" is from "The Alamo", a John Wayne movie that I think is being re-made.

The movie had its premiere in San Antonio a couple of days ago, and is supposed to be released nationwide in the next week or two.

Capt. Bacardi

"My Heart Belongs To Daddy" was originally sung by Mary Martin in the musical comedy "Leave It To Me" in 1938. Cole Porter wrote the music and lyrics.

"My Heart...." has been covered by a number of singers (Rosemary Clooney, Peggy Lee, Julie London, Marilyn Monroe, Sinead O'Connor and Geri Hallowell, etc), but the TJB's "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" is the the only instrumental treatment of the song that I know of.

Carol Kelley
in rainy northwest SC

Captain Bacardi said:
There's a few others:

Never on Sunday (from the movie of same name)
Tangerine (from the movie The Fleet's In)
Green Leaves of Summer (from a western whose title I've forgotten)
Up Cherry Street (was part of a BBC show)
I Will Wait For You (from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg)
The Happening (from The Happening)
Walk, Don't Run (from movie of same name)
The Shadow Of Your Smile (from The Sandpiper)
Promises, Promises (from play of same name)
I Have Dreamed (from an old B&W movie - I think it was a Cary Grant flick)
Rise (General Hospital - I don't recall Street Life on that show at all)
Last Tango In Paris (same movie)

Capt. Bacardi

A couple of corrections...

I Have Dreamed -- I think this is from The King and I
Walk, Don't Run -- maybe this is the Cary Grant flick you were thinking of -- but as I recall, the song wasn't in the movie of the same name.

could also include:

Somewhere (from West Side Story, but not an LP cut -- was it even recorded?)
Summertime and Strike Up the Band were in Gershwin musicals
Third Man Theme (from The Third Man)
The Trolley Song (?) (A Judy Garland musical?)
Thanks for the Memory (?) (not sure about this, but a lot of the standards from this era originated in film)
The Continental
I'm An Old Cowhand
Moon River

My guess is that the there are enough true Broadway and Film songs that a CD wouldn't have to be padded with songs that were TJB originals which later acquired film or TV connections.

How about a Classical Album:

La Virgin de la Macarena
Third Man Theme
Zorba the Greek
Carmen (also opera)
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring
The Little Train of Capiera
Summertime (Porgy and Bess is an opera!)
Strike Up The Band (Gershwin's classical, right?)
Yankee Doodle (it's 18th century and resembles Ode to Joy)
Under A Spanish Moon
Libertango

David
(Happy Herb Alpert's (sixty) Ninth!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom