• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"Angelito" Composer Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Rene Herrera, who wrote the song "Angelito" that is on the TJB's South Of The Border album died this past Tuesday. From the Corpus Christi News 6 site:

http://www.kristv.com/global/story.asp?s=4281243

1960s Tejano and Top 40 star Herrera dies

SAN ANTONIO -- Rene E. Herrera, a pop-Tejano musician who scored two crossover hits in the 1960s and performed on "American Bandstand," has died of cancer at age 70.

Herrera, of Laredo, died Tuesday in a Houston hospital.

He was a member of the duo Rene and Rene - along with Rene Ornelas, of San Antonio.

After working in music throughout the 1950s with groups including the Casa Blanca Quartet and the Quarternotes, Rene and Rene hit it big with "Angelito" in 1964 and "Lo Mucho Que Te Quiero" in 1968.

English and Spanish radio stations picked up on the songs, which led to an appearance on Dick Clark's "American Bandstand." The songs were recorded by artists including Peter Nero and Herb Alpert.

"Rene y Rene were among the first Chicano artists to break the culture barrier by appearing on American Bandstand," said Javier Villanueva, executive director of the Tejano ROOTS (Recognize Our Own Tejano Stars) Hall of Fame in Alice.

Herrera and Ornelas were inducted into the hall of fame in 2001.

At the suggestion of San Antonio producer Abie Epstein, Herrera added English to his original Spanish version of "Angelito." The duo recorded the single at Epstein's studio and released it on his JOX label. The single sold 30,000 copies in Texas in less than a month, Epstein said.

"Before you knew it, it was an explosion," he said.

Herrera went on to work for the city of Laredo, Union National Bank and Laredo Independent School District after he retired from music in 1969.

"It was fun and we were getting money," Herrera told the San Antonio Express-News in 2001. "And that's what we both bought homes in Laredo with _ our first hit records. I was happy but I had just gotten married, and I didn't like to be away from my wife. But it was a great experience."

He is survived by his wife, Velia C. Herrera, brother Eloy Herrera, and sisters Eva Araiza and Trinidad Ramirez.

Visitation will be Friday at Hernandez-Lopez and Sons Northside Chapels in Laredo. A rosary will be recited Friday at St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Laredo. Mass will be celebrated at 9 a.m. Saturday at St. Patrick's, with interment in the Calvary Catholic Cemetery.

Capt. Bacardi

Thanks for this obit, Captain. Though the news is sad, it is also fascinating. I'd no idea that Rene y Rene were so signficant in the history of Hispanic music for American pop culture.

"Lo Mucho ..." was covered by The Sandpipers and appears on THE WONDER OF YOU (A&M SP 4180).
JB

I just noticed this. Angelito was a beautiful song, off one of my 2-3 favorite TJB albums, SOTB. Gorgeous tone by Herb, and brilliant work on the Marimbas (of course) by Julius. I've never heard any other version of the song, but now I'd like to. Nice that Herb was able to direct some song-writing royalties south of the border, as well.

Beautiful song... a bit more of a Mexican/mariachi flavor than many of their other songs. Maybe it's the violins and the slightly brassier trumpet sound...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom