• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎷 AotW: CTI Antonio Carlos Jobim - TIDE (SP-3031)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 5 55.6%

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Antonio Carlos Jobim
TIDE

A&M/CTi SP-3031

sp3031.jpg

Released 1970

Format: Vinyl/Reel-to-Reel/Cassette/8-Track/CD

Produced by Creed Taylor

Songs:
  • 1. The Girl From Ipanema (Antonio Carlos Jobim/Vinicius de Moraes/Norman Gimbel) - 4:50
    2. Carinhoso (Pedro Berrios/Carlos Braga/Alfredo Da Rocha Vianna, Jr.) - 2:47
    3. Tema Jazz - 4:35
    4. Sue Ann - 3:03
    5. Remember - 4:00
    6. Tide - 4:03
    7. Takatanga - 4:42
    8. Caribe - 2:42
    9. Rockanalia - 4:45

Note: The Verve CD reissue of this album contain 3 alternate takes of "Tema Jazz" and an alternate take on "Tide"

All compositions by Antonio Carlos Jobim unless otherwise indicated.
    Arranged and Conducted by Eumir Deodato

Musicians:
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Electric Piano
Urbie Green - Trombone
Ron Carter - Bass
Airto Moreira - Percussion
Everaldo Ferreira - Congas (7, 9), Percussion (5)
João Palma - Drums
Eumir Deodato - Piano, Acoustic Guitar
Jerry Dodgion - Flute, Alto Sax
Joe Farrell - Flute, Bass Flute, Soprano Sax
Hubert Laws - Flute
Romeo Penque - Flute
Hermeto Pascoal - Flute solos (3)
Garnett Brown - Trombone
Burt Collins - Trumpet
Marvin Stamm - Trumpet
Ray Alonge - French Horn
Joe De Angelis - French Horn
Violins: Frederick Buldrini, Paul Gersham, Emanuel Green, Harry Katzman, David Nadien, Max Polikoff, Matthew Raimondi
Tenor Violin: Harry Lookofsky (Concertmaster)
Violas: Al Brown, Harold Coletta
Cellos: Charles McCracken, George Ricci

Recorded at Van Gelder Studios
Rudy Van Gelder, Engineer
Recorded March 16; April 23, 24, 29; May 8, 20, 22, 1970

Cover Photograph by Pete Turner
Album Design by Sam Antupit

Capt. Bacardi

Last edited by a moderator:
Tide was of course also re-released in the US in 2000 in the Verve-by-Request series. It's the one with the almost annoying bonus tracks of alternate takes of "Tema Jazz", and if I recall, wasn't there some controversy about some instrument missing from this re-master on one or more of the tracks?

Harry
NP: Tide, Antonio Carlos Jobim

The one alternate track I DID like was the full version of "Tema Jazz", since it's also one of the few tracks on this album I like. I still think it's a weak and unfinished project...reportedly Stone Flower (on the new CTi) is much better. My biggest complaint is the "Wave" clone ("Tide") which just sort of meanders and doesn't really have a melody, and the fact that a lot of the songs just seem like they were never completed...a lot of blank spaces that really needed a melody.

This one pairs nicely on CD with the Wave album. Did a needle drop for both of these a few years ago, and play it often.

According to their CD booklets, 'Tide' and 'Stone Flower' were recorded on the same dates and sessions at Rudy Van Gelder's studio during 1970: March 16; April 23, 24, and 29; and May 8, 20, and 22. Since Creed Taylor was calling the shots, it seems an embarassment of riches in how he may have conceived each LP and allocated their tracks. Both involved the hottest (and fastest) Brasilian arranger of the time, Eumir Deodato. Did Creed promise (or owe) A&M a second Jobim album? No matter, 'Tide' is a tasty and 'au courant' way of bringing Jobim into the 70's, especially with Deodato's clever arrangement of the hit that started it all,'The Girl From Ipanema'. Those who pine for the lush, sensational orchestrations of 'Wave' would have to wait until 1973's release of 'Jobim' on MCA, which reunited him with Claus Ogerman in an equally great work.

It almost seems like Tide was a last attempt at fulfilling something...perhaps the CTi (and Creed Taylor)relationship with A&M, or maybe just the Jobim promise. I've heard Stone Flower got the better tracks. I really need to pick it up one of these days.

Can't help but always think of how that skinny yellow book, The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide only mentions it as 'Deleted' and makes no mention of Jobim's earlier WAVE album, while reviewing only THREE albums which were seemingly in print circa. 1985.

Yes, perhaps this second entry by Jobim and Creed Taylor may be the usual "Two Album (Or More) Contractual Obligation", similar to those of Herbie Mann (later the 'Fluteman' in the 'Soul Flutes' ensemble), JJ & K, Nat Adderley, Tamba 4 and Wes Montgomery (who made THREE), et. al.

No matter; TIDE is just as melodic, moving, melancholy, sometimes maudlin and meandering, but always merry and more than just an extension of WAVE. And like the previous 3000-series entry, there is no 'CTi' logo, either. Kind of foreshadows CTi's departure from A&M, as Creed Taylor finally achieved his label as an independent company. Though Herb and Jerry DID give him a very great start and with a very memorable series of Artists and Titles under A&M's ownership. :wink:

Funny how on LP copies of TIDE, there is NO mention of drums or percussion in the musician credits, yet quite an ABUNDANCE in the grooves!
Think Claudio Slon and Bobby Rosengarden may have been the players, as well as, prehaps, Airto Moriera and Joâo Palma.

Dave

Gioccho Adesso: Antonio Carlos Jobim "Sue Ann" TIDE A&M SP 3031

Hmmm...that makes SP3028 the last true CTi album then. I never had Tide on vinyl until I bought the AM+ remastered version in the 80's, and really didnt' look too closely at my Gula Matari copy. And I see that
Tide's cover does not have the logo on it.

You know, I thought I had posted something about Tide the other day...what with my 40th birthday fast approaching, could be I just plain forgot to hit the "send" button! :shock:

Regardless, Tide (IMHO) seems dark in comparison to Tom's first A&M release, Wave. I mean, where is the uptempo sound of "Red Blouse"? I love its driving rhythm, Tom's guitar and the incredible string arrangements. In reality, Tide seems flat in comparison. There are some standouts. "Carinhoso" has a warm feeling. "Tide" is classic bossa nova all the way across the board. I never have particularly liked "Rocknalia" - it's more of a "non-song" to me - filler if you will. Then again, instrumentation and arrangement-wise, Tide was more complicated than Wave (IMHO).

Of course, having said all of this, I bought both on CD quite a while back. Wouldn't you know that Wave gets more play than Tide? And, having practically every recording issued by Antonio Carlos Jobim (I've been a fan for years), I'd have to say that Wave is one of my favorites.

Jon...the "Jobim Nut"

A bit off subject, but I'm thrilled to hear Sergio perform so much of Tom Jobim's material - almost as if this is exactly where his sound should move at this point in his career.

Tom was once quoted as saying that his legacy is well taken care of and assured by Sergio Mendes. Nice to see that Sergio has taken this to heart. Paul Jeromack, Brandon Bergeron and I would love to see a new Mendes album composed of Jobim material. All three of us have discussed this very thing (with Brandon when Sergio performed at Bimbo's 365 Club in San Francisco last year; and Paul when Sergio performed at the Blue Note in New York last November. I attended three of the Blue Note appearances with Paul.) When I mentioned the Jobim material to Gracinha, she smiled and said, "It is nice. Isn't it?" She also smiled when I mentioned a Jobim album for Sergio. "Great idea!" she grinned. Makes me wonder if something might be in the works? Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Of note is audience reaction to the Jobim material. They go crazy when Sergio breaks into "Desafinado" and "Ela e Carioca," as well as "A Felicidade." His onstage version of "One Note Samba" has changed to reflect the original Jobim arrangement, as well as "Aquas de Marco," a reflection of the arrangement found on Vintage '74.

Are you listening Sergio? "Jo-bim...Jo-bim...Jo-bim..."

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

2 stars from me, and that's stretching it. This album has an unfinished feel to it--it sounds as though it was thrown together in order to get one last album out under Creed Taylor's name to fulfill a contract. It has a couple of good (not great) songs to it ("Tema Jazz", for instance), but not much else. "Tide" is just a noodly version of "Wave" played sideways, on the same chord changes. Definitely one of Jobim's weakest albums.

Stone Flower on CTi runs circles around this album, and also eclipses Wave in my opinion...

Interesting how "Tide," which I give three stars, has been given prime attention from Verve...re-releasing it with new cuts and alternate takes. Personally, I love this behind-the-curtain listen complete with the slates prior to the additional cuts.

So why wouldn't they do this for "Wave," which presumably has more sales power?

Like so much music, I relate Tide to a particular time of life. A group of my high school buddies combined their money and bought it for me for Christmas the year it came out, but to throw me off-track, they game me a box to put under the tree that I swore felt like laundry detergent.

Christmas morning I unwrapped the box of Tide detergent, and then my mom brought out the real gift (the LP), for me to open.

I agree--this is OBVIOUSLY a Wave rewrite--as though Leftovers from his earlier session were "Re-Worked" and tweaked up to "Sound New"...

*** (3) --Three-Stars from me, because it does have a few interesting sounds to it... I never took much of a liking to Stoneflower other than having Brasil on a '45' as ...Part 1 and ...Part 2 and I like the title-track which Santana did a remake of, with Carlos adding words to it as well...

Likewise, I sooner bought what THE ROLLING STONE JAZZ RECORD GUIDE calls "The Deleted Tide Album" than Jobim's predecessor, Wave...

There is a bit of a "fresh and more modern-sounding Brasilian approach" to some of the tracks like Carinhoso, Tema Jazz, Sue Ann, Remember and Rockanalia... Never did have the CD resiiue sporting the Alternate Takes of "Tema..." Unusual to see Eumir Deodato on acoustic piano and acoustic guitar in addition to arranging the strings and horns as well as the lack of credits in the LP gatefold for Percussion and Drums... (Though there is of course, TONS of them in the grooves!) Which are listed on the pre-Verve reissue, A&M-issued CD...

Very true, though, Wave was really a lot more "Polished" and seems more "complete" than this "Put-Off, Also-Ran" of a succerssor...

Dave

The LP release is o.k., but the CD has a few noticeable errors on it. For one, Joe Farrell's bass flute, so important to the performance of "Takatanga," is woefully absent on the CD release. It went very well with the electric piano. I actually like "Tide," despite it being a quasi-ripoff of itself, backwards. "Sue Ann" is pleasant, moody. "Tema Jazz" to me is annoying, overlong, and completely unwarranting of other alternate takes on the CD. Other than that, the songs largely don't do much for me, so I'll settle for 3 stars.

This is the kind of album that you would have expected Hef to play at the Playboy Mansion. Light, airy tunes without being overly dull. Everyone has mentioned the similarities between "Tide" and "Wave", but it kind of annoys me that Jobim didn't even try to disguise this at all. Sounds more like simple comps on the piano. I did like tunes as "Tema Jazz", "Sue Ann" and "Takatanga", but the rest is pretty much background music - albeit very well recorded background music. My biggest complaint is the small use of Urbie Green on trombone! 3 stars from me.

Capt. Bacardi

I voted "best" for this album. When I first bought this years back, I thought it was dull. It grew on me a lot. All the melodies are beautiful, and the playing is superb. I think it's a great album. I don't know how it compares to Wave because I don't have it yet.

Dave said:
Fits well in the Antonio Carlos Jobim-A&M/CTi equation, though as far as greatness goes, this is a departure from the more cohesiveness of Wave, while an uneven hold-over until we could get to the Non-A&M/CTi Stoneflower...

That said, it works well in carrying out the inventive romanticism of the Jobim legacy... Just that, too, it seems like a bit of a nadir in that it is more a myopic carbon-copy of Wave, rather than something more original that would be better offered and conveyed in the more polished Stoneflower LP...

Dave

Oh, I don't know, Dave...I think Deodato gives this album a more dramatic, moodier feel than WAVE. I like this one a lot....though I like STONE FLOWER even more.

---Michael Hagerty

Deodato's arrangements definitely give this album a moody feeling. He's a unique arranger, to say the least.

My opinion on this album has changed a bit over the years. I like "Tide," "Sue Ann" and "Takatanga" a lot, but the other tracks are either ho-hum or slightly annoying ("Tema Jazz"). "The Girl from Ipanema" is okay, but nothing really new is 'said' musically. Further, the multiple extra takes of "Tema Jazz" on the reissue are quite ridiculous. I'm also peeved that Joe Farrell's bass flute solo on "Takatanga," which is really an important part of that track, was inexplicably dropped from the CD issue. And Verve hasn't corrected it since.

Overall, I give this a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

When I got my first copy of this album I wore it out listening to it over and over again, like I had done with "Wave". And while I still prefer "Wave" and "Stone Flower", "Tide" still totally hits the spot for me every time. I love Jobim!

And seashorepiano is right, the CD lacks the feel of the original vinyl. It's all about the grooves y'know...

seashorepiano said:
I'm also peeved that Joe Farrell's bass flute solo on "Takatanga," which is really an important part of that track, was inexplicably dropped from the CD issue. And Verve hasn't corrected it since.

Hmm, I never noticed that. I'll have to do a comparison listen.

This album never quite grabbed me. I like "Tema Jazz", "Sue Ann" and "Takatanga", but the rest seems to be just background music. Not enough Urbie Green, that's for sure. I don't play this very much.

Capt. Bacardi

The album is OK...I always equate it with Christmas morning, because it was a gift the year it came out. I actually like "Tide" better than "Stone Flower," but I seem to be the only one who feels that way.

As useless as the extra takes are on the Verve CD, it's still pretty cool to listen "under the hood" and hear the slates and alternate takes. I WISH they would release the cuts on the A&M/CTI albums that were recorded but weren't included on the albums. There are many such recordings...

Further, the multiple extra takes of "Tema Jazz" on the reissue are quite ridiculous.
I think record companies will put any piece of junk they can find on a record as an "extra" track, just to get people to buy the new reissue. Out of all the bonus tracks I've ever heard, probably only a small handful warrant repeat listening. That's just me though...

I'll say this in favor of the bonus tracks on the CD reissue: the small-combo take of "Tide" is very enjoyable for its electric piano work. It's a more intimate sound, though I still like the orchestral arrangements on the original track.

Captain Bacardi said:
This album never quite grabbed me. I like "Tema Jazz", "Sue Ann" and "Takatanga", but the rest seems to be just background music. Not enough Urbie Green, that's for sure. I don't play this very much.

As big of a Jobim fan as I am, I would barely give this album two stars. "Tide" is a noodly remake of "Wave", played sideways. "Tema Jazz" works up a good sweat, and of the bonus tracks, I like the full 8 minute version. Beyond that, I rarely play this. The Stone Flower album, which I highly recommend, runs circles around this one, and is also arguably better than Wave (which is more relaxed and a bit lighter). Stone Flower is the album Tide should have been; to me, Tide seems like leftovers from the same session (as they were recorded nearly around the same time, if I recall...).

Back
Top Bottom