• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Anybody recording today in the Carpenter 'way'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty TX

Hi everyone. I'm by no means tired of the Carpenters music. In fact, my father passed away last week unexpectedly and one of the first things I did to ease my mind was to listen to Karen and re-read Randy Schmidt's book on the plane home to see my mom and prepare for the funeral. However, I would like some suggestions on other artist's recording today that my fellow Carpenters fans like.

I took the suggestion to listen to the Corrs back when you guys were talking a lot about them and have been a fan ever since. I personally love a new band called the Ditty Bops. They are two girls who defy today's lousy music trends, as did the Carpenters, and they produce wonderful catchy, amazingly recorded songs in an older style. I hope you will take a listen to them. Their newest album is fantastic. They sing in harmony nearly all of the time (and their voices sound identical). I guess that's why I like them so much - because that's what makes the Carpenters so wonderful. Think "I Have You" but snappier (with just "pretty" voices....no camparison to Karen).

Can somebody give me suggestions for new music I may take a listen to? So that I can make a new play list on my Ipod that has a new song followed by a bunch of Carpenters, then another new song, and more Carpenters, etc.....

Thanks!

How about taking any Carpenters album, such as HORIZON, and wherever the Carps did a cover version, you insert the original version or whatever other version you like, if any.

So you would have "Solitaire" by Neil Sedaka, "Desperado" by the Eagles, "Please Mr. Postman" by the Marvelettes (hope that's the correct original artist!)...you get the drift.

Or you could do a compilation of the Carpenters' cover versions, starting with "Ticket to Ride." Sort of a reverse version of CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER.

There are lots of ways to shake and bake an artist's catalog if you give it some thought.

As for new artists that sound like them, I've never heard of any. You might find a singer with a nice voice, but then her material or arrangements will suck. Or you find a singer with some great material, but the voice is a pain to listen to. It's tough. I've been looking for "another Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66" for a long time with similar results.

Hi Marty,

I am so sorry about the passing of your father. I will pray for you and your family!

Lately, I have been enjoying alot of Michael Buble and Chris Botti- puts me in much the same mode as alot of Karen and Richard's work.
As far as female vocals go, no one comes close, however...

If you want to hear them in a new way, try a compilation like "Songs of Paul Williams" or "Burt Bacharach" or a collection of their jazzier moments (Masquerade, Karen/Ella medley, etc.) or country songs, etc.

I also know you like Contemporary Christian music (as I do)- try Chris Tomlin's album "Arriving"- it is melodic, upbeat, and worshipful. Doesn't create a sense of timelessness like some traditional church music, but it does help bring your focus in a good place.

Warm regards,
Mark

Thanks so much for all the advice guys. Believe me, I do put new Carpenter playlists together all the time. I made one recently, as you suggested Mark, that has just upbeat stuff on it. It always makes for a fun drive to work.

Well, shoot. I was hoping to hear of lots of groups I may like, but it sounds like there just aren't too many. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give them a listen, although I tend to like female singers the best. I'm still a fan of Gloria Estefan. She has a Karen-esque vocal quality and some really nice material. I sure wish Karen was still here.

I never thought to look backward and find groups I never heard of or listened to. I'm liking Sergio Mendes very much. Thanks for mentioning them!

If you like female vocals, and you like Sergio Mendes, you might want to try Swing Out Sister. They had a fairly big hit in the late '80s with "Breakout" and the followup "Twilight World" got a lot of airplay. They've released a number of albums throughout the '90s and even the '00s, with generally good-sounding stuff. It's generally a little more upbeat than Carpenters - more in a Brasil '66 groove with some nods to the Fifth Dimension and other artists. Corrinne Drewery is the lead vocalist, and though she doesn't sound much like Karen, she's got a distinctive voice that's unmistakeable.

As far as The Corrs go, they seem to be in a "family" mode, with three of them married and having babies. Andrea Corr is expected to release a solo album early next year, and recently did a duet with French artist Laurent Voulzy on the old Everly Brothers' classic "All I Have To Do Is Dream."

Harry
...getting back into the swing of things at work, online...

Thanks for the Corrs update, Harry. I certainly remember Swing Out Sister! I dug up some of their stuff from my Napster collection.

I guess what I'm looking for is a modern group that uses sound musical, classically oriented harmonies and chord progressions while being innovative and fun to listen to. I guess that's too much to ask. The Carpenters meet these criteria in every way. I was listening to the Suntory Pop jingle #1, and I was thinking, man, if I had to analyze the chords they're singing for my music theory class, I'd have a hard time. They're jazzy, stacked, and expertly executed. I think people take the amazing musicality of the Carpenter's material for granted. It's just all so rich, and I don't mean richARD.....

I think people take the amazing musicality of the Carpenter's material for granted."

I know even I do at times.

Hey guys!

I haven't posted in a LOOOOONG time and have missed it here. I am really into a couple of groups right now who do a great job at what I like to call "creative pop" -- Swan Dive (a duo of Molly Felder and Bill DeMain based in Nashville) and a young group called The Hush Sound. Check them out:

http://www.swandive.org/

http://www.thehushsound.com/

Take care!
Randy Schmidt

A bit of a Corrs update: Coming as a bit of a surprise to the Corrs fan community is this recent entry on various online databases - a new, updated, best-of Corrs collection coming in November.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/3250328/Dreams_The_Collection/Product.html

3250328m.jpg

Hopelessly Addicted
So Young
Runaway
Breathless
Radio (Studio version from 'In Blue')
What Can I Do
Haste To The Wedding
I Know My Love (feat. The Chieftans)
Stars Go Blue (remix feat. Bono)
Goodbye
Dreams
Irresistible
All I Have To Do Is Dream feat. Laurent Voulzy
Ruby Tuesday (VH1 special version feat. Ronnie Wood)
Summer Sunshine
Angel
Long Night
Old Town (Studio version 'Home')
Brid Og Ni Mhaille
Toss The Feathers

20 tracks including some from the two most recent albums (HOME and BORROWED HEAVEN), and the most recent duet Andrea did with Laurent Voulzy (mentioned above). It even included the "When The Stars Go Blue" duet with Bono from the LIVE IN DUBLIN album.

Current theories are that this is either a quick release for the Christmas market, or perhaps a final album with their Atlantic UK label, though Andrea's solo album, due early next year, is also supposed to be with Atlantic UK.

Harry

Update to the above update:

Now the word is that this Corrs DREAMS COLLECTION will be delayed until sometime next year and that the tracklist is not finalized.

Ah, the crazy world of the music biz...

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom