• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Anyone have a " 1st Edition " Volume 2 LP from 1963 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonely bull

I have been looking through my LP collection and especially my various copies of " Volume 2 " and realised that they are not pressings from 1963 because they have " thumbnail " photos of other albums on the rear cover - one of which is " South Of The Border " on the U.S version ( A&M 103 ). So my copy was pressed after 1964 presumably? Does anyone have a earlier pressing ( if there is one? ) - one without the thumbnails of other albums perhaps? In fact, quite a few of my other TJB albums are pressed sometime after the original release date, because they show subsequent album releases on the rear cover. A&M 103 ( Volume 2 ) is the only TJB album I have which is pressed in the U.S - all of my other TJB albums are UK or German pressings, which confuses things even more regarding the date of the pressing. My UK version of Volume 2 ( AMLS 955 ) shows a date of 1964 on the label in the centre of the L.P , but it must have been pressed after 1969 as there is a picture of " Warm " and several other later albums on the rear cover. I also have " Early Alpert" which is exactly the same track listings as Volume 2 and pressed for the UK market ( with yet another different front and rear cover ) and was on the PYE/Marble Arch label. The label in the centre of the L.P shows 1964 and the rear cover shows a date of 1968 ! Any scans of " 1st Edition " rear covers would be great :goodie:

Dave.....

Until something better, here are two tiny images from years ago of the two main VOLUME 2 rear covers:

TJBVol2back1.JPG TJBVol2back2.JPG

Harry

hi I have both versions. the one harry posted was the original issue that came out in 1963 which in my own opinion no one really heard of herb alpert & the tijuana brass. but when they first appeared on the Ed sullivan show playing a taste of honey then people heard of them. as for me. I did not really hear of them until after that show and whipped cream and other delights.and the single of a taste of honey. then my mom when we went shopping back in the 60's I saw that there was south of the border, vol 2, and the lonely bull. the second issue to the right of the top picture was a reissue that was released in 1966 since from the research I did the first issue of vol. 2 from 1963 did not do so well.and on the cd version is the same picture from the 1966 issue.
bob

Here are a couple of somewhat better photos of the rear covers of VOLUME 2. I took these with a digital camera, so they're not perfect, but you'll get the idea.

This was the first rear cover, released when the album was new, sometime after THE LONELY BULL and George McCurn's album as the third on the label:

TJBVol2back1.JPG

As you can see, the design was simple- just some big letters, small pictures, an ad for THE LONELY BULL, a logo, and some sparse credits.

As the Tijuana Brass began gaining fame for things like "The Mexican Shuffle" and "A Taste Of Honey", VOLUME 2, which had achieved little success was re-issued and given a new back cover. This time we got a larger picture of Herb, and more A&M albums to promote.

TJBVol2back2.JPG

Many years later, VOLUME 2 was given a CD release in the US. This was the back cover of that CD:

TJBVol2back3.JPG

And our own Mr. Bill gave the Shout! Factory release his own personally-designed rear cover:

TJBVol2back4.jpg

Hope that's sufficient.

Harry

Sufficient? That's great, Thanks ! Thanks also to Mr Bill and Bob, that's really interesting, I have never seen that 1st cover but then we didn't see that album over here in the U.K. I can only try and find one on eBay or maybe Amazon but the rear cover is very rarely shown. Does anyone have any other 1st edition albums? Thanks

Dave.....

to Lonely bull if you have goodwill stores or open flea markets there. or maybe a used record store. you might just might the first issue with that cover, I found mine at our local goodwill store for 50 cents and both the record and cover were in mint...... and dave thanks for the mentioning my name.
bob

like one label I got of vol. 2 the A&M logo instead of being on the left side. the logo was on top center.
bob

The Top Center A&M Logo was the second label design in the LP era and only used for a short period of time. And it is another sign you own an original pressing.

I actually bought a sealed stereo copy of the original pressing but it had the side logo. Ditto the mono copy I grew up with. I was hoping the sealed copy had the top logo, but no luck...

This is the picture in our label gallery of VOLUME 2 with the logo on top:

lp_ochre_logotop_2.jpg

Harry

Interesting - I have spent some time looking at Volume 2 LP's on eBay U.S - most listings do not show the L.P label or the rear cover so it's impossible to know whether it's a 1st pressing or not. ( You can ask the seller a question, if they bother to reply ). There are some listings that DO show the the rear cover and I have only found one L.P that is the 1st pressing, and that had the A &M logo on the centre label to the left and not " top dead centre ". Of course, there is always the possibility that the record had been removed from it's sleeve and replaced with another later pressing. My own copy of SP103 is still sealed - I don't want to spoil it and open it, so I don't know what centre label it has. The rear cover is the later one though. The inner sleeves differ too - the later inner sleeve has the A&M logo and thumbnails of later TJB albums - Whipped Cream, SOTB, WNML etc. I don't know what the 1st pressing inner sleeve was like - presumably plain !

Dave.....

That first pressing back cover is somewhat hard to find. I always check copies of Volume 2 when I see them, and I would say one out of 25 is a 1st press based on my observations.

I have only seen that A&M "logo on top" label once, and I grabbed it quickly for my collection. It's a copy of "South of The Border". It's interesting to see a copy of Volume 2 with that label style also. Are there any other TJB albums that originally used this label?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom