• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Anything Goes - Radio Premier May 10 KGIL Beverly Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday we we treated to a very special radio program hosted by Jerry Sharell on KGIL. His guests were Herb & Lani and they were on for 1 hour and 20 minutes live in the studio premiering their new CD. The show was obviously taped before the postponed East Coast tour right after the Vibrato shows. They kept referencing the upcoming tour. We were treated to 10 of the 14 tracks played in their entirety. With great questions and answers before and after each track. Great job by Jerry Sharell.

This CD will be well worth the wait. They didn't explain where each take was recorded at and I don't know if that info appears in the liner notes of the official CD.

I see a Promo Copy was bid up to $50 yesterday on eBay! See Herb & Lani - just look at the "buzz" :)

I hope one of our members was the winning bidder! Steve?

Jerry Sharell is a native of Farrell, PA and upon graduation from Kent State University in 1961, he was in radio as a disc jockey/newsman in Sharon, PA at WPIC and in Beaver Falls, PA. at WBVP. He started in the record business in 1962 as a promotion rep for Mercury Records in Cleveland. Jerry then joined Main Line Distributors and helped them grow to be one of the biggest record distributors in the states. Through the years he has been instrumental in many recording artists' successes including: Herb Alpert, The Carpenters, Joe Cocker, The Impressions, The Isley Brothers and Curtis Mayfield. In '73, he was hired by David Geffen to manage the Asylum Record label which then merged with Elektra Records. In his ten years at the label he served in senior executive positions in areas of creative services, artist development and promotion while helping to establish the careers of: The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, Harry Chapin, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, Judy Collins, The Cars, Bread, Queen, Motley Crue, Grover Washington Jr., Bread and many others.

Scott, thanks for the info! :thumbsup: If anyone hears of a streaming version of this broadcast, feel free to post it here.

Darn! I wish I knew about that ahead of time... KGIL simulcast on XSRF-AM540 down here in San Diego (well, technically in Tijuana, but it is considered the San Diego simulcast -- only the commercials throw you off as they run both English and Spanish ads).

They run some great music programs in the PM after running equally great talk radio in the day (Laura Ingraham, Glenn Beck, Monica Crowley and Lars Larsen)

--Mr Bill

Good News Mr. Bill and anyone else in SoCAL, just talked with Jerry Sharell and the show will be repeated on May 10th! 7PM to 8:20PM

Also it is going to be quite a show at the ELLA Awards!! Besides a short set by Herb & Lani special guest performers include-

Alan Bergman - Doing "Jerusalem"!!!
Steve Tyrell - Doing "This Guys"
The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles
Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, Jr.
Renee Olstead
Tata Vega
Paul Williams

The award will be presented to Herb and Lani by Quincy Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom