• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Jeffrey Shurtleff STATE FARM (A&M SP 4332)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Jeffrey Shurtleff
STATE FARM

A&M SP4332
sp4332.jpg

Side One: Ten Degrees and Getting Colder 2:14/ Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose) 4:30/ Lay It Down 3:33/ Como Tu 3:27/ Hello in There 2:58/ A Miner's Life 3:34.

Side Two: Ballad of Honest Sam 3:36/ It's A Long Way to Nashville 3:07/ The Sad Gypsy 3:50/ Leave it There 3:39/ Angel Band 2:50.

Producer: Joan Baez/ Co-Producer & Bass Player: Norbert Putnam/ Charlie McCoy - hamonica, organ, guitar/ Lloyd Green - dobro & steel/ Kenneth Buttrey - drums/ Herman (Pete) Wade - guitar/ Bobby Thompson- guitar/ David Briggs - piano/ Grady Martin - guitar/ Gene Eichelberger - engineer/ Roland Young - art direction/ Neil Reichline - photography/ David Harris - painting (back cover)/ Chuck Beeson - album design.

Recorded at Quadrafonic Sound Studios, Nashville TN
Reissued on CD as a Japan import

Liner notes by Joan Baez:

"Jeffrey and I used to sing together in the early days of the draft resistance. We would stand up in some funky gymnasium and sing "Mama Tried,' "Sing Me Back Home," and "Quinn the Eskimo." Then David Harris would speak about turning in draft cards. ending the military and building a new world.
Jeffrey had turned in his card at the very beginning and we never knew when or if he would get busted.
After David went to prison for draft refusal Jeffrey and I sang together on the road for a whole tour. He has one of the most mellow and moving, not to mention simply beautiful male folk voices I've ever heard.
He finally agreed to let me drag him to Nashville to work with my favorite musicians and lay down some of the songs he loved the most. So this is Jeffrey's first album. Sit down somewhere comfortable. It's a listen record."

I.I.N.M., this was Ms. Baez's first A&M project (prior to the release of her own first LP for the label) after leaving Vanguard with a bang (her Top Ten "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," the only other such major chart hit that that label would have -- besides The Rooftop Singers' #1 from 1963, "Walk Right In").

Hmmmm...thanks for writing down the liner notes to this album, Jim; I haven't seen them or this LP "in years". :wink:

This seems to presage Joan Baez's career with A&M, having her first LP still a ways away!

Dave

...thinking there IS "an in-between obscure and popular", on A&M releases such as these... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom