• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Joan Baez COME FROM THE SHADOWS (A&M SP 4339)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Joan Baez
COME FROM THE SHADOWS

A&M SP4339
sp4339.jpg

SIDE ONE

Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose) 4:23/ Rainbow Road 3:03/ Love Song to a Stranger 3:55/ Myths 3:19/ In the Quiet Morning (For Janis Joplin) 2:58/ Weary Mothers (People Union # 1) 3:34.

SIDE TWO

To Bobby 3:53/ Song of Bangladesh 4:49/ A Stranger in My Place 3:07/ Tumbleweed 3:32/ The Partisan 3:17/ Imagine 3:27.

Recorded at Quadrafonnic Sound Studios, Nashville TN

Stuart Basore - steel guitar/ David Briggs -keyboard/ Kenneth Buttrey - drums/ Grady Martin - guitar/ Charlie McCoy - harp and guitar/ Farrell Morris - percussion/ Welldon Myrick - steel guitar/ Norbert Putnam - bass/ Glen Spreen -keyboard & string arrangements/ Pete Wade - guitar/ John Buck Wilkin - guitar.

Art direction: Roland Young/ Front cover photo: Bob Fitch/ Back cover photo: Jim McCrary/ Album Design: Chuck Beeson.

Producer: Joan Baez/ Co-producer: Norbert Putnam/ Engineer: Gene Eichelberger.

CD: COME FROM THE SHADOWS and all other A&M albums and non-album singles are available on the 4-disc box set THE COMPLETE A&M RECORDINGS, released in 2003.

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on May 27, 1972, peaked at # 48 and charted for 24 weeks (source: Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums")

JB

LPJim said:
SIDE ONE

Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose) 4:23/ Rainbow Road 3:03/ Love Song to a Stranger 3:55/ Myths 3:19/ In the Quiet Morning (For Janis Joplin) 2:58/ Weary Mothers (People Union # 1) 3:34

SIDE TWO

To Bobby 3:53/ Song of Bangladesh 4:49/ A Stranger in My Place 3:07/ Tumbleweed 3:32/ The Partisan 3:17/ Imagine 3:27

JB

Joan Baez's debut on A&M. Not too long ago, we had an LP Joan Baez produced as 'Album Of The Week'; Jerry Shutrleff--State Farm. I see this and Joan's other A&M LP's constantly; almost as much as the 'typical LARGER selection of Vanguard material'. Is "Imagine" actually the John Lennon song? Maybe I better make a run to my local record store and see! (And play it, too!)

LPJim said:
Recorded at Quadrafonnic Sound Studios, Nashville TN

Stuart Basore - steel guitar/ David Briggs -keyboard/ Kenneth Buttrey - drums/ Grady Martin - guitar/ Charlie McCoy - harp and guitar/ Farrell Morris - percussion/ Welldon Myrick - steel guitar/ Norbert Putnam - bass/ Glen Spreen -keyboard & string arrangements/ Pete Wade - guitar/ John Buck Wilkin - guitar.

Art direction: Roland Young/ Front cover photo: Bob Fitch/ Back cover photo: Jim McCrary/ Album Design: Chuck Beeson.

Producer: Joan Baez/ Co-producer: Norbert Putnam/ Engineer: Gene Eichelberger

JB

Yee-Haa!!!

Joan records with "Nashville's Finest"!! Funny how she does folk very well with "country" musicians. But these guys backed Shurtleff, as well as John Stewart, Buffy Saint-Marie, Chet Atkins, and even The Neon Philharmonic with a very unusual, uncommonly good backing and universal sound! These guys are versatile!!!

Before she started off with just "modest" New York-Folk backing on Vanguard before going a bit 'over the top' when she went Hollywood, on later A&M albums, with the musicians there.

Dave

"Visit The Country Music Hall Of Fame, Nashville, Tenessee": :wink:

http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/index.html

Ms. Baez's next-to-last work for Vanguard, Blessed Are . . . (which yielded her sole Top Ten hit "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"), was also recorded in Nashville at Quadrafonic, with Putnam co-producing (with Jack Lothrop) and Mr. Eichelberger engineering. Besides Mr. Putnam, Mr. Briggs, Mr. Wade, Mr. McCoy and Mr. Buttrey, the instrumentalists also included Norman Blake on guitar and dobro, Buddy Spicher on violin, and The Nashville Strings, The Memphis Horns, The Holladay Singers and The Town & Country Singers. She'd also cut Any Day Now, David's Album and One Day At A Time in Nashville. Her stint there, apparently, would end with her next A&M album.

Oh, and yes, the "Imagine" she recorded on this set was John Lennon's.

An interesting coincidence,I just got a copy of the book "Positively 4th Street:The Life & Times of Joan Baez,Bob Dylan,Mimi Baez Farina & Richard Farina" by David Hajdu-the story of the early days of the 1960s folk revival. So far,an interesting tidbit is Joan & Mimi attending a Pete Seeger concert in 1954 and getting the bug to sing folk music-also in the same audience was Dave Guard,who purchased a Pete Seeger songbook at the show and three years later would found the Kingston Trio,a crossover success with chart topping hits on the pop charts. As many of you know,Mimi Farina was also an A&M recording artist(also previously a Vanguard artist) and recorded with Tom Jans after the death of her husbnd,Richard. I mention the book for another reason-I found a soft cover version of this 2001 biography at my local Barnes & Noble real cheap and you may find one at yours at an equally good deal(four bucks). Mac

Mac, is there any mention anywhere in the book of my favorite political folkster, the late Phil Ochs?

--Mr Bill
big Ochs fan despite divergent socio-political views...

Joan was likely the first to cover a Phil Ochs tune. She recorded "There But For Fortune," which appeared on her 1964 Vanguard album JOAN BAEZ 5.
JB

I'm wondering if her version of "Joe Hill" (also a Vanguard number) was also the one Phil Ochs did.

And isn't "In The Quiet Morning (For Janis Joplin)" her sister, Mimi's song, recorded with the late Tom Jans?

Dave

Last I saw of Joan was several years ago at Los Angeles International Airport. She was having a "confrontation" with Security, regarding her guitar case, and whether she should be allowed to bring it into the gate area. It wasn't pretty. Joan was pretty vocal.

I like her music, but I will never forget that "confrontation". :shock:

Jon

Joan's "(I Dreamed I Saw) Joe Hill (Last Night" is a different song from Phil Ochs' "Joe Hill" featured on his TAPE FROM CALIFORNIA (SP 4148). His song is a chronological story of the labor leader's life.
Joan's song goes something like this:

"I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night
Alive as he could be
I said Joe you're ten years dead
I never died said he ..."

JB

List of Songs on Album, with Writer Credits...:

SIDE 1:

Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose) (J. Baez)
Rainbow Road (D. Fritts, D. Penn)
Love Song To A Stranger (J. Baez)
Myths (J. Baez)
In The Quiet Morning (M. Farina)
All The Weary Mothers Of The Earth (People's Union, #1) (J. Baez)

SIDE 2:

To Bobby (J. Baez)
Song Of Bangladesh (J. Baez)
A Stranger In My Place (K. Rogers, K. Vassy)
Tumbleweed (D. Van Arsdale)
The Partisan (A. Marly, H. Zaret)
Imagine (J. Lennon)

:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom