• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Nazareth - PLAY 'N' THE GAME (SP-4610)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Nazareth
PLAY 'N' THE GAME

A&M SP-4610

sp4610.jpg

Tracks:

Somebody to Roll/ Down Home Girl/ Flying/ Waiting for the Man/ Born to Love/

I Want to Do Everything For You/ I Don't Want to go on Without You/ Wild Honey/ L.A. Girls.

Available on CD through amazon.com with "Good Love" as a bonus track, plus 3 alternative versions of previously listed tracks.

For further information please visit the official site:

www.nazarethdirect.co.uk/

JB

Somehow this and 2XS done on another label, is the only Nazareth album I bought on LP...

It was ironic to find out that "Wild Honey" was really a Beach Boys tune; saw the writing credits and took a while for me to finally hear the Beach Boys album the song was on, and of course hear how their original version goes, too...

"I Want To Do Everything For You" was actually done by Joe Tex and I have yet to hear how his version goes...

"L.A. Girls" is a fairly comical Reo Speedwagon-like take on the Sunset Boulevard scene... Funny how the "sound of a breaking glass" ends the LP... "Somebody To Roll" gets this album to a good start... "Down Home Girl" is a good hominy about a good ol' Southern Gal... "I Don't Want To Go On Without You" seems to be the "Come Go With Me" of the '70's, and no surprise since this was done in the late-'50's by The Drifters... And of course you owe it to the long drawls and squalls by lead singer Dan McCafferty for its "extended length"... "Flying" is a fairly up-lifting piece, though its airborn theatrics still never seem to leave the ground, despite the acrane "high" it wants to convey; "drug song"... :laugh:

"Born To Love" is catchy Top-40 FM fodder (especially with its appearance on the Hot Tracks compilation, which I had on cassette and was the second album I bought by this group... My first was Hair Of The Dog on 8-track) and "Waiting For The Man" is a lively jam about (kind'a like "L.A. Girls") a street scene... Though unlike "L.A. Girls" a bit more of the pretentiousness than the charm...

A cool album, and I found myself singing whatever lyrics from these songs I could remember; a lyric sheet was the one thing that LP needed... The cover shot, of course, is also one of the coolest (love the band playing cards and drinking Heineken) and it's a shame I seemed to be the only one of my friends so into this group... Here's where they really "Rock"...--And "Roll"...!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom