• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Ozark Mt Daredevils CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM (SP 4549)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
THE CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM

A&M SP-4549

sp4549.jpg

Buddy Brayfield - piano, organ, oboe
Steve Cash - harp
Randle Chowning - guitars, mandolin, harp
John Dillon - guitars, mandolin, harp
Mike Granda - bass
Larry Lee - drums, acoustic guitar, synthesizer

Tracks:

Keep on Churnin' (Dillon)/ If Only I Knew (Lee-Cash)/ Leatherwood (Chowning)/ Cobblestone Mountain (Cash)/ Mr. Powell (Lee)/ Gypsy Forest (Chowning- Cash)/

Thin Ice (Chowning- Cash)/ From Time to Time (Lee- Dillon)/ Southern Cross (Cash- Dillon)/ out On the Sea (Dillon -Anderson)/ Whippoorwill (Chowning).

Produced by David Anderle
Recording and remixing engineer: Marty Lewis
Assisted by Kent Nebergall

Recorded at Quadrafonic Sound Studios, Nashville TN
Remixed at Sunset Sound Recorders, Los Angeles CA

Mastered by Doug Sax at the Mastering Lab
Remastered in 2006 by Andrew Thompson at Sound Performance

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Design: Chuck Beeson/ Front cover illustration by Merv Jacob/ Lettering by Stan Evenson/ Other photos by Jim Mayfield, Billy Higgins, Kansas Film Works

Reissued on CD in 2006 by BGO Records (London, England) as a two-for-one package with MEN FROM EARTH (BGOCD 737).

SP 4549 entered the Billboard Top 200 on November 8, 1975 and charted for 15 weeks, peaking at Number 57, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."

For more information, please visit:

www.ozarkdaredevils.com

One of my favorite OMD songs is on here..."If I Only Knew," sort of a followup to "Jackie Blue." I was hoping for more of a rock record and the first two songs hold great promise in that direction, but things go down hill fast.

Kudos for the cover though. I always wondered what they were trying to say with that cover.

After a few "Online Mis-fires"--futile searches in finding the meaning of the Album Title, in relation to the "cover photo-concept"--, I've jusdt come to the conclusion that the group, hailing from their native Ozarks, in Missouri, "croosed over the lake" to Nashville, TN, where this album was recorded...

Yes, it does have a bit of a Country-sheen to it, much like in the spirit of The Byrds Sweetheart Of The Rodeo, without the "greatness in what a Record Review book like THE ROLLING STONE RECORD GUIDE (which some of us know is not the best source) would give it", in terms of a Number-of-Stars, much less a decent description in comparison to that effort, as opposed to the typical one-paragraph write-off the Group got, covering their Entire Body of Work, rather than each, individual album...

Just to paraphrase that a "Jackie Blue", which Ozark Mountain Daredevil's "If I Only Knew", tried to folow-up, is not the same as what tries to follow-up a "Mr. Tambourine Man" or a "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"... --Simply put, this effort could'a been as successful, as a single and album entity, had the group's notoriety ever gotten recognition, and beyond "Cult Status" (and 'A&M Corner-status') been as more Wide-Spread...

And ultimately, yes, the Ozark Mt. Daredevils did go for a more Country-based sound, this time around, as opposed to the more Rock-oriented (often sounding a much like The Eagles) approach of their earlier (and probably later) efforts...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom