• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Paul Williams LIFE GOES ON (A&M SP 4367)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Paul Williams
LIFE GOES ON

A&M SP4367

sp4367.jpg

"This album is dedicated to my brothers, John and Mentor, to my mother, and to my father, whose name was also Paul Williams and whose favorite song was 'That Lucky Old Sun.' "

SIDE ONE: The Lady is Waiting 3:17/ Out in the Country * 3:37/ Little Girl 3:40/ Rose 4:24/ Where do I go From Here 2:55.

SIDE TWO: Life Goes On***3:27/ Park Avenue 3:15/ I Won't Last a Day Without You** 5:15/ Traveling Boy 3:38/ That Lucky Old Sun (Haven Gillespie-Beasley Smith) Robbins Music Corp. ASCAP 2:58.

All songs by Paul Williams, Almo Music Corp. ASCAP, except as indicated and *Paul Williams & Roger Nichols Irving Music BMI and ** Williams/Nichols Almo Music ASCAP and *** Williams/Craig Doerge Almo Music ASCAP.

Produced by Michael Jackson

Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne appear courtesy of Asylum Records
Ronee Blakely appears courtesy of Elektra Records
Gerry Beckley appears courtesy of Warner Bros. Records.

Tommy Vicari, recording engineer, asst. by Rick Porter/ Strings on "Rose" recorded at Olympic Studios, London, by Glyn Johns/ Mastering by Bernie Grundman and Frank DeLuna, A&M Studios, Hollywood CA.

Credits include: Paul Williams, vocals/ David Spinozza, guitar/ Leland Sklar, bass/ Russ Kunkel, percussion/ Michael Jackson, tambourine/ Michael Utley, organ/ Bob Cooper, oboe/ Mentor Williams, vocals/ Jimmy Webb, string arrangements/ Tom Scott, recorder, sax & flute/ Jacoby Fundelfuntz, tambourine/ Ronee Blakely, Gerry Beckley, Linda Ronstadt, Rick Roberts, Jackson Browne -- vocals/ Danny Kortchmar, guitar.

Art Direction by Roland Young/ Album design by John Cabalka and Chuck Beeson/ Cover Illustration by Michael Stern/ Photography by Jim McCrary.

Mixed at Sunset Sound Recorders except for "Out In the Country' (Olympic Studios, London).

Reissued on CD as a Japan Import

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on 12/2/72, peaked at #159 and charted for 14 weeks, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."

www.paulwilliams.co.uk

JB

This is Paul Williams' best album on A&M and is severely underrated, I think. It includes a nice mix of uptempo and ballads, and his voice is (for the most part) put to good use on the songs. The production is first-rate and the arrangements are right-on for the material.

The only serious misstep is the inclusion of "I Won't Last a Day Without You." He should've been smart enough to know that the Carpenters nailed that song to the wall and that his own version pales miserably in comparison. But that complaint aside, this is a really nice album and a fine listen.

My favorite tracks: Where Do I Go from Here, Out in the Country, The Lady is Waiting, Life Goes On, Park Avenue. I've always thought WDIGFH could have been a hit if marketed properly.

"And So It Does..."

The Lady Is Waiting -- Nice ballad about the lady waiting for "her man's return home"...at the end of the day... Set to Craig Doerge's "pretty piano" melody... Also done by Jewish Folk-Singer, Theo Bikel on his Reprise LP, Brand New Day...

Out In The Country -- Spooky Organ playing by Mike Utley and some cool, strumming acoustic guitar by New York-session guitarist, David Spinozza make this a breezy and enjoyable piece that a cover-version by Three Dog Night made it even more about the environmental awareness, which Paul made this (and the later "Family Of Man") about...

Little Girl -- Yes, this LP is a bit more polished than Williams' previous effort, but sadly, this number sounds a bit unfinished... And a cover-version by another artist, who could have put this tune to better use, remains unseen...

Rose -- Another song, of which a "potentially better" cover-version is to no avail... But salvaged by Jimmy Webb's strings (added in London, England) and Spinozza inserting some clever lead guitar...

Where Do I Go From Here? -- This had the potential to be a good hit-single... Nice percussion and recorders added to it make it a contender for a "jingle", much like Paul's "We've Only Just Begun"...

Life Goes On -- With guest appearances by Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, America's Gerry Beckley, Rick Roberts (taking a break from recording his OWN album) and Ronee Blakeley (who contributed background vocals to "Out In The Country" and recorded with Paul's band on her own LP on Elektra), this is what "Where Do I Go From Here?" wanted to be, though also, as a Hit-Single, never was...

Park Avenue -- David Spinozza does the orchestrations and you hear decadent drumming from Russ Kunkel and Craig Doerge's omni-present acoustic piano; should'a been more than "jus' filler"...

I Won't Last a Day Without You -- Paul knew this would have nothing on The Carpenters' version... May have been intended for Old Fashioned Love Song, but thrown here, as an (Ugh!) also ran... But it does sport some tasty sax-work; courtesy of Tom Scott!

Traveling Boy -- Paul brought this piece to a group called Punch, who with their arranger Bob Alcivar playing the piano, could do wonders with it... But their version seemed to go nowehere and Paul at least made this good to hear and he sings it at his concerts, too... Or at least more constructive than Englebert Hunperdinct trying it... Ah, Art Garfunkel recorded it, too...!!

That Lucky Old Sun -- Accompanied by Craig Doerge on piano and Leland Sklar on bass (who sounds good just accompanying JUST a piano and vocals, as he did with Barbara Keith and Helen Reddy) and Paul's Father's favorite song, done just as well as his own "originals"...

I like this just as much as Paul's previous effort and both, along with Here Comes Inspiration and the Phantom Of The Paradise Soundtrack are pretty much essential and still rewarding listening...

The cover photo of him is nice, too...

Dave

A great Paul Williams album ....really love Travelllng Boy , Where Do I Go , Life Goes on ...even I Won't Last a Day ...such a great song by Williams & Nichols :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom