• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Peggy Lee MIRRORS (A&M SP 4547)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Peggy Lee
MIRRORS

A&M SP-4547

sp4547.jpg

SIDE ONE

Ready to Begin Again (Manya's Song) 3:20*/ Some Cats Know 4:22**/ I've Got Them Feelin' Too Good Today Blues 2:20/ A Little White Ship 3:04/ Tango 5:44.

SIDE TWO

Professor Hauptmann's Performing Dogs 5:58/ The Case of M.J. 3:04/ I Remember 2:50/ Say It 4:03/ Longings for a Simple Time 3:54.

All selections written by Jerry Leiber (words) and Mike Stoller (music) & published by Yellow Dog Music, Inc. ASCAP/ A Leiber-Stoller Production

Arranged and Conducted by Johnny Mandel

Recording and Mixing Engineer: Hank Cialo, A&M Studios, Los Angeles CA/
Mastering Engineer: Bob Ludwig, Sterling Sound, New York

*Arranged and conducted by Perry Botkin, Jr.
** Recording Enginner: Pete Romano at A&M Studios, Hollywood, and Carmine Rubino at the Record Plant, New York

Strings arranged and conducted by Meco Monardo

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Design: Juni Osaki

Photography: Hans Albers/ Illustration: David McMacken

Reissued as CD 5268 with "Is That All There Is" as a bonus track & later with other tracks as PEGGY LEE SINGS LEIBER & STOLLER

JB

Somehow was ccurious about this one, found a copy and really wasn't all that pleased... In fact, i preferred her album previous to this which was her last one for Capitol, Norma Delores Eggstrom of Fargo, North Dakota, which was a start of recording more contemporary material with a bit more contemporary arrangements, arranged by Artie Butler...

Surely this outing should'a been done more in that vein... There were also a few non-LP '45's which I don't think appear on the reissue with the Bonus Tracks, of which the added-cut, "Is That All There Is?" is really a Randy Newman song, and if re-recorded, likely to have you "wondering what was wrong with the original", otherwise can be better-had on its original LP, which is remastered and paired with another album on CD, as much of Peggy's original works have been via. Imported record label...

Dave

Krayola King (color of the day apparently being "maroon") Dave said:
..."Is That All There Is?" is really a Randy Newman song...

No, actually it IS a Leiber/Stoller song...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Krayola King (Color of the Day apparently being "Maroon") Dave said:
..."Is That All There Is?" is really a Randy Newman song...

No, actually it IS a Leiber/Stoller song...

--Mr Bill

OK, I really had no idea...--My Fault!
duh2.gif

Dave

From what I understand, the newer CD called PEGGY LEE SINGS LEIBER & STOLLER is a Hip-O Select release. Leiber and Stoller went back to the original multi-track tapes and remixed the entire album, and also changed the running order.

Harry

Yes, I've checked it out Online... --In fact, I'm quite sure I may have seen a copy of ...Sings Lieber & Stoller in a store, in which case, I definitely forgot that it co-indincided it with it being a re-package of Mirrors...

As for the "remixing of the album", that is something I didn't know (though that should be evident from the way Norma Delores Eggstrom from Fargo..., was redone, according to some Online-Reviews I've read... Yes, the track order is different on the new Mirrors reissue...

--Whew!
sighing.gif

Dave

I just listened to this album for the first time in a couple of years. It's not really my cup of tea, but parts of this album remind me of Madeline Khan's character in the Blazing Saddles movie. :D It sounds as if it was done in some French cabaret.

Capt. Bacardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom