• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Peter Allen CONTINENTAL AMERICAN (SP 3643)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Peter Allen
CONTINENTAL AMERICAN

A&M SP3643

sp3643.jpg

Peter Allen, b. 2-10-44 and d. 6-18-92, was an Australian singer and songwriter whose commercial breakthrough came from "I Honestly Love You," a huge hit for Olivia Newton-John.
He was briefly married to Liza Minnelli in the late '60s and won an Oscar for co-writing "Arthur's Theme."

TRACKS:

Just a Gigolo/ Everything Old is New Again/ The Natural Thing to Do/ Pretty, Pretty/ Continental American/ Just Ask Me, I've Been There/ I Honestly Love You/ The Side Show's Leaving Town/ Just a Gigolo (Reprise).

For biography and discography information, please visit:

www.bluedesert.dk/peterallen.html

JB

This one by Peter is VERY hard-of-hard to come by... The one copy I managed to see and get many years ago, I think I bought for 99¢ at that!

Just a Gigolo -- Definitely years ahead of David Lee Roth of Van Halen as far as the cover of a Pop Standard goes...

Everything Old is New Again -- Remember a (former) Big Band Radio Station playing what seemed to be a Ray Conniff-styled version of this song; pretty sure it was not the "original"...

The Natural Thing to Do -- I can't recall how this one goes and I'm sure someone did a cover version of it...

Pretty, Pretty -- Another sad, tear-jerkin' song... :cry: --Particularily the line that goes: Pretty, pretty, what about your kitty, wondering when you're coming home to feed it... :cat: --Hopefully it BETTER have gotten FED! :mad: Witness versions by Mark Lindsay (of Paul Revere and The Raiders-fame, done on a THIRD solo album, You've Got A Friend, which followed up Silverbird and Arizona, as well as, also, a remake by (Of Course!) Helen Reddy... :love:

Continental American -- ...Nights would end at 6AM, sleep all day, and then start dancing again... Some song about a dancer in a Night Club; not sure what role the "Continental American" really plays... Builds up to an "overdubbed female voice" ad-libbing towards the end...

Just Ask Me, I've Been There -- ...I've seen angels and sin there; They're not gonna let me in there... --See Below:

I Honestly Love You -- Had a Peter Allen compilation on CD, which at the time seemed to be the Only, if not Best, most Thought-Out Compilation, which This Number as well as Just Ask Me... were on... (It had GOOD Stuff from I Could'a Been A Sailor...!), so that was my first exposure to his best-known song, covered also very notably by Olivia Newton-John...

The Side Show's Leaving Town -- ...Ahhh, this one I really DON'T remember...!! :confused:

Just a Gigolo (Reprise) -- ...Just a Gigolo..., cries out another female voice in the background, distinguishing a reprise of the first track and a fitting way to end this album...

My discovery of Peter Allen was simply in search for "other albums" a favorite guitarist I admired played on, which started with a Sealed Copy of I Could've Been A Sailor, which after buying and opening, he "by luck" appeared in the credits of, though this just wasn't a record I was particularily ready for and ditched after one play, just to afterwards be on the hunt for another "perfect one"... (Think ...Sailor was a small hit for Peter Allen, too; it DID get some fairly good radio play--my dad, I think even remembers it, as I believe I do, too) Funny with the way Peter A-llen, begins with "A" and it being where I start in a typical record search, I just never thought highly of looking into his stuff... And all I mostly saw was the ill-chosen compilation, The Best, as well as the Double-Live LP, It Is Time For Peter Allen... But I did acquire Taught By Experts (with the cameo by Herb Alpert, playing, or rather, BLOWING his trumpet on The More I See You) and somehow despite that particular guitarist playing on at least one of Allen's early Metromedia efforts, I never had the incentive to buy any of them... But fortunately he was on this release, so it was a long-overdue addition, and for around a Buck, in suprisingly Excellent Condition--both Vinyl and Cover...!

So I did like this and just before it came along, also managed to find a good CD, just entitled The Best Of Peter Allen, which gave me a good overview of his stuff, including another popular hit, I Go To Rio--though it was the one done Live; Pablo Cruise even covered Allen's ...Rio, too... (Far better than the 20th Century Masters set, which would follow...) Too bad I missed out on the 3-CD boxed-set, featuring Peter's The Early Years, The Songwriter Years and The Star Years--now THERE was something that had EVERYTHING in it...

Guess Allen was a very "undiscovered, unrealized, unrecognized and underrated" talent whom later got fortunate enough to be signed onto his ex-wife, Liza Minnelli's label... Thank God! :angel:

Dave

I haven't heard Peter Allen's original version, but Ellen Greene (of "Little Shop of Horrors" fame) recorded a great version of "Pretty Pretty" a couple of years ago.

Peter's version of "Everything Old Is New Again" was featured in the Bob Fosse movie "All That Jazz"....is it the version from this record??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom