• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Peter Frampton - FRAMPTON (SP 4512)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Peter Frampton
FRAMPTON

A&M SP-4512

sp4512.jpg

"Even if seen during a cold, wet and windy November, an English castle is very impressive. To live and record within the walls of this palace of stone was an adventure. It was an expedition just to walk from one's bedchamber to the rendevous. Even in a castle it's the kitchen. Imagine walking through doors over twice your own height, revealing rooms of such enormity making you feel quite insignificant. The basic sound of this album can only be attributed to a huge amount of stone and too much food." - Peter

SIDE ONE

Day's Dawning 3:55/ Show Me the Way 4:05/ One More Time 3:21/ The Crying Clown 4:05/ Fanfare 3:29.

SIDE TWO

Nowhere's Too Far (for my baby) 4:18/ Nassau 1:08/ Baby, I Love Your Way 4:42/ Apple of Your Eye 3:43/ Penny For Your Thoughts 1:22/ (I'll Give You) Money 4:35.

All selections written by Peter Frampton and published by Almo Music Corp./Fram-Dee Music Ltd. ASCAP

Produced by Peter Frampton (guitars, piano, organ, bass, talkbox, vocals)/
John Siomos (drums/percussion)/ Andrew Bown (Fender bass)/ Poli Palmer (vibes)/

Chris Kimsey - chief engineer & associate producer/ Andy Knight and Ron - assistant engineers/ Bernard and Sue Yates - host and hostess/ Clvie Frampton as Himself and "Stan" Coles as Everyone Else.

Thank you Nigel, Benny and John & special thanks to Dave Pastore/ Recorded at Clearwell Castle in Glouchestershire, England/ Taped in Ronnie Lane's Mobile "Reels On Wheels"/

Overdubbing and mixing at Olympic Studios/ Barns, mastered at the Mastering Lab, Los Angeles, CA, by Arnie Acosta.

Thanks to Dee Anthony, Frank Barsalona and Jerry Moss/

Andrew Bown appears courtesy of Mercury Records

Art Direction: Roland Young/ Design: Ron Dyer/ Photography: Michael Zagaris.

Reissued on CD.

FRAMPTON entered the Billboard Top 200 on March 29, 1975 and peaked at Number 32, remaining in the charts for 64 weeks, according to Whitburn's "Top Pop Albums."

JB

If not for the "Easy Availability" of Frampton's albums, I would never o' heard this one...

Somehow he managed to sell a lot of copies of some, but not one song, particularly "Show Me The Way", "Baby, I Love Your Way" or even "(I'll Give You) Money" (which seems to be an unusual closing piece) seem to be as good as his Live versions on Frampton Comes Alive...

Dave

I always thought Frampton would have been a smash sooner if he had changed his name...I mean, Eddie Mahoney sounds hokey, but "Eddie Money" is cool.

Plus, Frampton's album covers and their designs (Framption's Camel?!) left something to be desired. Even the smash-hit FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE cover was really pretty ugly.

But, no matter. This album was pretty good, but I heard it after ALIVE so the studio versions of the songs sounded weak to me. Gave this a few spins and then put it into the used bin, never to be heard again. Probably should give it another shot.

Give it another shot. I first listened to this title several months ago, after seeing the Doug Sax-mastered CD for sale ridiculously cheap at FYE last Christmas. I wasn't sure what to expect...but I was impressed!

Even though I'm a little tired of "Baby, I Love Your Way," Frampton is a solid album with upbeat, catchy tunes and varied instrumentation. Several of the songs made their way to Frampton Comes Alive (which I own on vinyl but haven't been able to listen to lately), but I don't think the studio versions are shabby either.

The remaster of "Frampton" does not have the lyrics on the CD booklet. I like the song "Fanfare" which Peter sings on either the left or right speaker.:cool: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I agree, "Fanfare" is a pretty good song... And so is "The Crying Clown", "Day Is Dawning" and "Nowhere's Too Far For My Baby"...

Seems as though despite the way some of his studio albums seem weak, this one is the strongest of the bunch, 'least as far as the tracks that DIDN'T make it to his up-coming Live Set go...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom