• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Rick Roberts WINDMILLS (A&M SP 4372)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Rick Roberts
WINDMILLS

A&M SP4372

sp4372.jpg

Rick Roberts joined the Flying Buritto Bros. after Gram Parsons left the band and later founded a successful mid-70s rock/country group, Firefall.

SIDE ONE
Deliver Me 4:51/ Davy McVie 3:45/ In My Own Small Way 2:57/ Sail Away 7:17.

SIDE TWO
Two Lovely Women 4:39/ In a Dream 4:12/ Drunk and Dirty 3:42/ Pick Me Up on Your Way Down (Harlan Howard) 2:53/ Jenny's Blues 3:46

Produced by David Anderle; a Willow Production
All songs by Rick Roberts except as indicated

Musical guests: Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Jackson Browne, Al Perkins, Joe Lala, Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, David Crosby, Jane Getz (Mother Hen), Byron Berline, Lee Sklar, Mike Utley, Marc Benno.

Recording Engineers: John Haeny, Richie Morre, Kent Nebergall
Remix Engineer: David Anderle/ Recorded at Sunset Sound Studios, L.A.
Photos: Bob Jenkins
Art Direction: Roland Young
Special thanks to Ellen Vogt for moral support
This album dedicated to Michelle Wood.

JB

LPJim said:
Musical guests: Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Jackson Browne, Al Perkins, Joe Lala, Chris Hillman, Dallas Taylor, David Crosby, Jane Getz (Mother Hen), Byron Berline, Lee Sklar, Mike Utley, Marc Benno.
I see the only one missing (that I could tell) is Glenn Frey. In short, only ¾ of the Eagles played on this record. Very interesting.

I don't have this one yet, but I'd really love to hear it, 'cause I absolutely love Roberts' singles with Firefall, and I'm probably one of the few people who actually prefer the Rick Roberts-era Flying Burrito Brothers albums to their first two with Gram Parsons. The Parsons-era albums did really little for me, but I thought their self-titled album that Roberts made his debut on was a great listen and more commercially-accessible-sounding. How would anyone here who's heard Windmills rate it?

Jeff F.

Windmills shows a bit of a "Personal Side" of Rick Roberts after leaving The Flying Burrito Brothers and before relocating to Boulder Colorado where he formed Firefall...
Only remember the Hot-Shot, kick-off track, Deliver Me (Which was the Last-Song on his Best-Of, which featured cuts from this LP and his second, along with some Burrito Bros. tracks and featuring a neat Chevy Van going by some Colorado Rockies on the cover...!) / The "ballad of..." Davy McVie / The "significant beginning-of Robert's career-saga", In My Own Small Way / And the epic "voyager", Sail Away

The "Eagles' take it easy" of (NOT Seven or Eight, but...) Two Lovely Women / The "supposedly narcotics-hallucination", In a Dream / The "well...REALLY...", Drunk and Dirty / The "down and out" ditty, Pick Me Up on Your Way Down (written by Harlan Howard, whoever he is; Roberts' next album will sport a couple of Stephen Stills songs, (in the same "theme) "It Doesn't Matter" (from Stills solo career) and the Buffalo Springfield standard, "Four Days Gone") / and the spare, but very tuneful and my favorite I shudda' gotten on a '45', Jenny's Blues where Ricky plays an acoustic guitar, accompanied by Lee Sklar (Man, did he even plug that thing in...?! :laugh: ) on bass...

She Is A Song will be "Part 2" of this "One-Man-Band with Some Help From His Friends" personal-vision-showcase, beginning with the "outlaw vengence" of Westwind, etc...

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom