🎵 AotW AOTW: RITA COOLIDGE (A&M SP 4291)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
RITA COOLIDGE
Rita Coolidge

A&M SP 4291

sp4291.jpg

Side One: That Man is my Weakness 3:50/ Second Story Window 3:00/ Crazy Love 3:35/ The Happy Song 3:50/ Seven Bridges Road 5:55.

Side Two: Born Under a Bad Sign 4:10/ Ain't That Peculiar 4:02/ I Always Called Them Mountains 3:47/ Mud Island 4:28/ I Believe in You 3:10.

HORNS: Jim Horn - baritone, alto & tenor sax/ John Kelson - tenor saxophone & Bass Clarinet/ Don Menza - tenor & alto sax and bass clarinet/ Clifford Scott - tenor sax/ Peter Christlieb -tenor sax/ Plas Johnson - tenor & alto sax.
George Bohannon - trombone & baritone horn/ Lew McCreary - trombone/ Ernie Tack - trombone/ Jack Redmond - trombone/ Dick Hyde - trombone.
Oliver Mitchell - trumpet and flugal horn/ Charles Findley - trumpet & flugel horn/ Al Aarons -trumpet and flugal horn/ Dalton Smith - trumpet & flugel horn.
French horns: Vince De Rosa, Bill Hinshaw, Arthur Maebe, David Duke.

STINGS
Cello - Jesse Ehrlich and Jerome Kessler
Violin - William Kurasch, Wilbert Nuttycombe, James Getzoff, Harry Bluestone and Ralph Schaeffer
Viola - Gareth Nuttycombe and Samuel Boghossian

BACKGROUND VOCALS
(THE BLACKBERRIES - Clydie King, Venetta Fields, Shirley Matthew), Priscilla Coolidge, Donna Weiss - and Rita Coolidge with Graham Nash, Bob Segarini and Randy Bishop on "Crazy Love"

The following artists appeared courtesy of their respective Record Companies:
Leon Russell and Jim Horn - Shelter Records/ Graham Nash and Stephen Stills - Atlantic Records/ Bob Segarini and Randy Bishop - Elektra Records/ Booker T. Jones and Priscilla Jones - Share Productions/ Marc Benno - A&M Records/ Ry Cooder - Warner Bros. / Donald "Duck" Dunn - Stax Records/ Bobby Womack - Liberty Records/ The Blackberries - Motown Records.

Producer: David Anderle for Willow Productions/ arranger string and horn arrangements by Booker T. Jones with the exception of "Ain't That Peculiar," "Born Under a Bad Sign" and "That Man is my Weakness" by Jim Horn and his Dynamic Horn Section.
Engineer: Bruce Botnick/ Recorded at Sunset Sound Recorders/ Cover Photography by Joel Bernstein/ Art Direction by Roland Young.

www.ritacoolidge.com/main.asp

JB

Several of Rita's A&M albums were released on CD in Japan only and are extremely difficult to find now (except for her debut, RITA COOLIDGE, which is still in print). There are five A&M albums in her catalog, however, that have never seen the light of CD day: FALL INTO SPRING (1974), IT'S ONLY LOVE (1975), HEARTBREAK RADIO (1981), NEVER LET YOU GO (1983), and INSIDE THE FIRE (1984). I would be a REALLY happy camper if these titles were ever reissued on CD!

Just an update to add aotw image...

One of my favorite artists on A&M who wasn't always a fave. I guess it was the tune "Higher and Higher" that hooked me and then I just started acquiring the rest of her LPs and found them enjoyable in a Carly Simon sort of way. I call it "Carly Light"....

--Mr Bill

I tend to do the same: discover an artist who's been around for a while and then purchase all of her/his back catalog. I did that with Rickie Lee Jones. FLYING COWBOYS hooked me (the song "Satellites" specifically), and then I worked backwards. :)

I don't have this album, but do like Rita's later material. My Mom has a favorite Rita Coolidge song: "The Hungry Years".

My parents made their way in the world by starting with nothing. Years later, when they were comfortable, Mom found solace in "The Hungry Years" -- it reminds her of the hard work and dedication she and Dad would endure to get where they were. This is where my appreciation of Rita Coolidge comes from.

Amazing how a simple song can stir such emotion. Then again, isn't this the way with many an artist or song? Ahhh...the Magic Of Music!

Jon

...getting sentimental, online...

Wow, what a touching story! I can certainly identify with where your mother is coming from--not from starting with nothing, necessarily, but in being able to identify with a song that speaks to you and reminds you of a meaningful time in your life.

"The Hungry Years" is the last track on Rita's ANYTIME...ANYWHERE LP from 1977, her only album to go platinum. It is extremely hard to find on CD, as it has only been released in Japan. (I was lucky enough to get a CD-R from a kind soul.) Many of the tracks from that LP have shown up on compilations, but "The Hungry Years" has never been one of them, which is a shame. A great tune, indeed. :)

Although Rita's debut album has some great songs on it as well, I don't particularly like the way she was singing back then. She had what I like to refer to as the "Aaron Neville vibrato," which I don't usually care for in most singers. (I find her version of "Seven Bridges Road" to be difficult to listen to. Some fans rave about her version of "Superstar"; it also makes me cringe. Sorry, but Karen rules on that one.) Fortunately Rita started using a more normal-sounding vibrato on her subsequent albums.

Blessings,
Mickey

Thanks Mickey :)

Actually, my parents married quite young. No one would have given them a chance in heck of success...they were married until my Father passed shortly before their 40th wedding anniversary. My Dad, going to Med School, was forced to quit in favor of working for his brother-in-law, who had a shoe store in San Mateo, California. After a year of working for my uncle, John Nordstrom came in, met Dad, offered him a job and Dad's Nordstrom career began -- he was there for 30 years, eventually to become Executive Director of the West Coast Division. Bottom line, "The Hungry Years" reminds my Mom of the early days of their marriage -- the struggles were tough, but they were happy and it paid off.

In regard to Rita's earlier attempts at a recording career, I agree with you. Her early style of singing leaves me cold. I'll take the "later" Rita Coolidge any day over that fake falsetto she once used. Regardless, she's a classy, beautiful and talented gal.

Jon

I happen to like her remake of Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher" also. I, too, notice that she's similar to Carly Simon, but if you ask me, Rita is better! What does this album sound like, folk-ish, pop, easy listening?

Joe, all of a sudden developing an interest in "The Delta Lady"...

Let's see...I haven't been posting long, so I hope that both of you get my response to your messages.

Joe: Rita's debut album is a mixture of blue-eyed soul/folk/pop. (How's THAT for a description??? :confused: ) The only song on the album that I just don't care for is her cover of "Seven Bridges Road." It seems her slow vibrato particularly stands out on that track. It doesn't help that the song itself is almost six minutes long!

But enough negative: This album really is good. The song I've heard Rita fans rave about the most is "Second Story Window." Other stand-out songs for me are "Born Under a Bad Sign" and "Crazy Love." Is it acceptable to share an mp3 or two through this forum, or is that frowned upon? (I don't want A&M coming after me! :scared: )

Jon: Yes, I think that by the time Rita recorded her third album, THE LADY'S NOT FOR SALE, she seemed to tame that vibrato down a bit. I've never particularly cared for her falsetto singing either, although there are some times when it can be really effective. At first I didn't like her version of "Don't Cry Out Loud" (which is probably because I compared it to Melissa Manchester's rendition, who belts the song out), but it's now grown on me. Rita's version is softer and at first doesn't grab your attention the way Melissa's does, but over time it sort of sinks in. I really like it now. "Superstar"...well, maybe that will take a few more years of "sinking in"! :)

BTW, it sounds like your parents had a wonderful relationship, and their hardships only seemed to make them more determined to make it work. Good for them!

Continued blessings,
Mickey

I agree with Mickey,Rita's vocals on her debut album are a real turnoff:raw,gritty,uneven.The next 2 albums,however,were her all-time best:NICE FEELIN' and THE LADY'S NOT FOR SALE.It amazes me to this day that Rita is the most underrepresented A&M artist on the CD market.All of her A&M albums are out-of-print,and none of them have ever been reissued on CD in the US.Even her original GREATEST HITS and CLASSICS compilations are out-of-print.A comprehensive 20-track anthology(or possibly even 2-CD set) is long overdue on Rita.

I recall seeing Rita perform, back when I was a flight attendant for Eastern Air Lines -- the mid '80s. She was elegant, tasteful and classy. Amazing how she could belt a tune -- totally unexpected, judging from her recordings. Her early tunes were done modern-style, with flair and sophistication. All in all, not a bad show! :wink:

She was one of those performers who made you feel better for having seen her on stage.

Jon

...with fond memories, online...

Mr. J: I totally agree. NICE FEELIN' and THE LADY'S NOT FOR SALE are fantastic. But if I had to pick a favorite Rita album, it would probably be IT'S ONLY LOVE from 1975. My partner's favorite Rita album is NEVER LET YOU GO from 1983, which is basically a pop/dance LP and is extremely well done. Of course, I'm biased because the lady simply can't put out a bad album, as far as I'm concerned. :)

As for collections, the only really good one that's out there now is found at the link below:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=MUSIC&pid=2196948&cart=149970304

According to Terance at www.ritacoolidge.com, there are plans for a two-disc anthology to be released late this year, so hopefully it will fill in the gaps and will justly represent Rita's music. She did eleven albums for A&M, and I'm with you in feeling that she's been very poorly represented on CD.

Jon: I've never had the good fortune to see Rita perform live, but from what I can tell, "elegant, tasteful, and classy" would be a good description. The lady can sing just about everything--from rock to pop to blues to folk to jazz. Hopefully one day she'll make down here to Nashville once again. That would make me a happy camper indeed! :D

Wednesday blessings to all,
Mickey

chpoof said:
Jon: I've never had the good fortune to see Rita perform live, but from what I can tell, "elegant, tasteful, and classy" would be a good description. The lady can sing just about everything--from rock to pop to blues to folk to jazz. Hopefully one day she'll make down here to Nashville once again. That would make me a happy camper indeed!

There was a definite sophistication to her. She's a beautiful woman with a voice that won't quit. Speaking of Jazz, she did sing a Cole Porter tune, although it's been so many years, I can't recall what it was. I can tell you that she didn't stick to Country tunes at all. The show was straight across the board in regard to Pop (most of her material was Pop-oriented at the time) to Folk and Jazz. A funny moment arose when she introduced Kris, who was seated in the audience. She broke into a humorous rendition of "You're So Vain" when he stood for introduction. He laughed, she turned, looked at the audience and said, "And you think I'm a ham?" It was a cute moment.

I'd love to see her again. Until reading this thread, I thought she had retired. Indeed not -- she is still active. Thank goodness.

As a sideline, I remember Diana Baron (of A&M Artist Relations) once telling me that Lani and Rita used to be shopping buds. You know, I can just see the two of them tearing up Rodeo Drive...one boutique at time! :wink:

Jon

Jon,

Have you ever heard Rita's OUT OF THE BLUES CD? I very highly recommend it. It consists mostly of songs that were recorded back in the 70's during her A&M stint but never released. A couple turned up on IT'S ONLY LOVE, and another couple were new recordings. It actually leans more towards a jazzy style than blues and gives you the feeling you're sitting in a small club watching her perform.

Here's more info about it: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=CASS805130823&sql=Aioae4jj72wal

Unfortunately it's now out of print but can be found fairly easily thanks to the Internet. I also believe it was released as an import with the same track listing but under a different title.

What a cute story about Rita's comments about Kris. It sounds like she's been a good sport about their relationship, as has he. I believe someone paraphrased her on the Rita group once when she was talking about Kris. She said he was a wonderful man and a great father but just not a good husband.

And speaking of buddies, I've heard that Rita and Brenda Russell are good friends. It would be cool if Brenda's LOVE LIFE CD from 1981 would be reissued in the U.S. :)

Thursday blessings,
Mickey

No, I haven't heard of Out Of The Blues, but I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

You know, it's nice to see someone pay tribute to Rita Coolidge. It's obvious you are a devoted fan. That's nice. I've always been one for the underdog. As such, I would also like to see Rita's music reissued on CD. Time will tell, patience is the key. In the meantime, we have our good old standby...vinyl...to get us through! :wink:

Jon

OUT OF THE BLUES is indeed one of Rita's best albums.Rita recorded it in 1975,but the execs at A&M didn't think a whole jazz standards album would be a big seller.Rita then recorded a regular pop album(ITS ONLY LOVE) and included two of the earlier jazz tracks("Am I Blue","Mean To Me")on that release.I'm surprised OUT OF THE BLUES didn't stay in print."Am I Blue" and "Mean To Me" are available on the japanese import GREATEST HITS,as well as "Keep The Candle Burning" from ITS ONLY LOVE.Some of those OUT OF THE BLUES cuts might be included on the upcoming 2-CD anthology.I would also recommend CLASSICS,a pretty decent 19-track compilation containing some of her best work("Nice Feelin',"Fever","All Time High","Something Said Love",etc.)and some of her worst("Bye Bye Love","Your So Fine" "One Fine Day""Words").

Mr. J.,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. I've been catching up on e-mails.

Wow, you really know your Rita music! :) I had heard about most of the songs on OUT OF THE BLUES being recorded back in the 70's. I'm just thrilled that these gems did finally surface. And I agree with you that CLASSICS is a good collection containing tracks that have never been on CD before and, for some reason, have never made it onto other, better-sounding compilations, like "Love from Tokyo," "Love Has No Pride," and "Something Said Love."

A few months ago I transferred IT'S ONLY LOVE from a mint vinyl LP over to CD, and I'm quite pleased with the results. I suppose it will suffice until the remainder of her catalog is reissued on CD. (After many, many years of waiting, some of Helen Reddy's Capitol catalog is FINALLY getting reissued, so I'm hopeful for other artists such as Rita, too.)

Blessings,
Mickey

Add me to the list...I can't wait for the Rita Coolidge material to be released on CD. Most people are familiar with her Pop material from the late '70s to early '80s. Believe me, she has covered a great deal of ground over the years.

Interesting you should mention Helen Reddy. "You And Me Against The World" was well ahead of its time. Her messages, often subtle, sometimes not, were legendary in addressing social issues of the time. Single mothers, Women's Lib, etc. -- these were touchy subjects of the time. Helen covered territory where others did not dare to tread. Besides, she's a very talented gal! :wink:

Jon

...with fond memories of '70s pop, online...

brasil_nut said:
Add me to the list...I can't wait for the Rita Coolidge material to be released on CD. Most people are familiar with her Pop material from the late '70s to early '80s. Believe me, she has covered a great deal of ground over the years.

Most definitely! She can sing just about anything with that voice.

brasil_nut said:
Interesting you should mention Helen Reddy. "You And Me Against The World" was well ahead of its time. Her messages, often subtle, sometimes not, were legendary in addressing social issues of the time. Single mothers, Women's Lib, etc. -- these were touchy subjects of the time. Helen covered territory where others did not dare to tread. Besides, she's a very talented gal! :wink:

Yes, indeed! I do hope that Raven will reissue her entire her Capitol catalog (or at least most of it). As popular as she was during the early 70's, it still just amazes me that it's taken this long.

brasil_nut said:
...with fond memories of '70s pop, online...

Oh, I could probably live the rest of my life listening just to 70's and 80's music and be perfectly content! :D

Blessings,
Mickey

I hear 'ya! Although, I must confess to being a true child of the '60s!! All the same, the '70s and '80s had some of the best music to come out of the industry. :wink:

Jon

brasil_nut said:
All the same, the '70s and '80s had some of the best music to come out of the industry.

I'll have to agree with you there. I know there's still good music out there now, but it's just a lot harder to find since most of it doesn't get airplay.

I have to say that these days, I find it hard to appreciate what passes as "music" in the pop field. I mean, rap does nothing for me (I'd best be careful with that statement...what with news of Sergio's new recording contract and possible use of current artists!) My favorites over the years are a hodgepodge of different musical styles.

Sergio Mendes
Herb Alpert
Lani Hall
Antonio Carlos Jobim

Gal Costa
Flora Purim
Nascimento
Gilberto
Astrud Gilberto
Azymuth
Yellow Jackets
Spyro Gyra
Claudine Longet
Getz
Steely Dan
Rita Coolidge

Chicago
Chaz Jankel
Bacharach
Peter, Paul & Mary
B-52s
K.D. Lang
Gracinha Leporace

Dianna Krall
Wanderley
Blood, Sweat & Tears
Spirit
Earth, Wind & Fire
Kevyn Lettau
Mancini

Helen Reddy
Cher
Justo Almario
Nick DeCaro
Scott Cossu
Sade

Cheryl Crowe
Baja Marimba Band
Wes Montgomery

etc., etc., etc.

The list goes on and on. Those which are highlighted are absolute favorites -- they get the most play of all. In short, I couldn't agree with you more. A lot of the good music made these days doesn't get a great deal of airplay unless, of course, it's a specialized music station (such as our KKSF - a station devoted to Jazz, Brasilian and World music -- when I'm not listening to CDs in the car, I have the radio set to KKSF.)

Jon

...happily enjoying my musical niche, online...

Yeah, I almost never listen to the radio nowadays. Even though I live in Nashville, TN, which is supposed to be "Music City," most of our radio stations REALLY suck. They tend to play the same stuff over and over. I could go the rest of my life without hearing the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" or Dirty Dancing's "I've Had the Time of My Life" (although I absolutely LOVE Jennifer Warnes--yet another highly underrated singer whose catalog deserves better treatment).

I couldn't even begin to list all the artists I love, although I could pretty much sum it up by saying that I lean very heavily towards female singer/songwriters of the 70's and 80's (Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Carole King, Melissa Manchester, Dionne Warwick, Linda Ronstadt, etc.). I've just recently started getting into Lani Hall (although there's not much to get into at this point since her recordings are hard to find), and I also love Sade. I'm just amazed that she's remained as commercially popular as she has over the years. She's sort of like Enya; she has a very loyal following and can afford to wait a good number of years between albums. Oh, and I'm a HUGE fan of Swing Out Sister!!! :D

I also can't tolerate rap, so don't feel bad. You're most certainly NOT alone in feeling that way!

Continued musical blessings,
Mickey

While we're still on the subject of Rita,I'm definitely looking forward to this new 2-CD compilation scheduled for this fall.There's plenty of "must-have" tracks that I hope will be included: MY CREW
EVERYBODY LOVES A WINNER
FEVER
NICE FEELIN'
I'LL BE HERE
FEEL LIKE GOING HOME
MEAN TO ME
AM I BLUE
ITS ONLY LOVE
LETS GO DANCING
ALL TIME HIGH
DO YOU REALLY WANNA HURT ME?
SOMETHING SAID LOVE
LOVE FROM TOKYO
HIT ME ON THE LOVESIDE
FOR THE GOOD TIMES
NOBODY WINS
WHEN THE NIGHT ROLLS IN
OUT OF THE BLUES

I know this a tall order here,but hopefully a good chunk of the above tracks will be included.

Yeah, that's a great track listing. Here's a few I would add:

"Second Story Window"
"The Lady's Not For Sale"
"That's What Friends Are For"
"Born To Love Me"
"The Hungry Years"
"Love Me Again"
"Can She Keep You Satisfied"
"Heartbreak Radio"
"Take It Home"
"Never Let You Go"
"I Can't Afford That Feeling Anymore"
"Love Came For Me" (from the movie SPLASH)

I'm sure there are more, but it's too early in the morning here for me to think. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom