🎵 AotW AOTW: Rita Coolidge - ANYTIME ANYWHERE (SP-4616)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Rita Coolidge
ANYTIME ANYWHERE

A&M SP-4616

sp4616.jpg

TRACKS:

Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher (Than I've Ever Been Lifted Before)
The Way You Do the Things You Do
We're All Alone - written by Boz Scaggs
I Feel the Burden (Being Lifted off of my Shoulders)
I Don't Want to Talk About It

Words
Good Times
Who's to Bless and Who's to Blame - written by Kris Kristofferson
Southern Lady
The Hungry Years - written by Neil Sedaka

Available on CD via amazon.com

ANYTIME, ANYWHERE entered the Billboard Top 200 on April 2, 1977 and charted for 54 weeks, peaking at Number Six. This was Rita's highest charting album.

www.ritacoolidge.com

JB

What was "all the Rita Coolidge" that I needed to hear after buying GREATEST HITS, first on cassette, then Vinyl and then finding it on CD (which was all you could get on CD, back then)...

Well, with the way I was won over by the cover of Jackie Wilson's "Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher (Than I've Ever Been Lifted Before)" and the equally passable cover of The Bee Gees' "Words", and the just-OK take on Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "The Way You Do The Things You Do", (all of which were available on GREATEST HITS) I was equally let down and left cold by the rest of the tracks...

Like the post-Carpenters "Goodbye To Love"-like power-ballad version of Boz Scaggs' "We're All Alone" and the cover of Neil Sedaka's "The Hungry Years", which a couple of the musicians here have played on at Neil's actual session and somehow seemed convinced that she should try it...

Ditto for the remake of former Neil Young's backing group member Danny Whitten's "I Don't Want to Talk About It", (originally recorded by his band, Crazy Horse) which somehow EVERYONE made a point of covering, including Rod Stewart (in the late-EIGHTIES???)... And the bathetic boredom of "I Feel the Burden (Being Lifted off of my Shoulders)", the corny, modal monotony of "Southern Lady" and the mega-tedium of Kris Kristofferson's "Who's To Bless & Who's To Blame" and the rather dull "Good Times", which I don't believe is "Let The Good Times Roll" that we all know and which really moves at a more worthwhile pace, as oposed to the more perfunctory reading this gets, whether the "original", or not...!

Me, after having this on 8-Track and a series of vinyl, in "my quest to find the best copy" (which included a fancy Audio-Phile pressing/packaging, where the inner-sleeve was an insert and the vinyl was opaque; a NAUTILUS Half-Speed Mastered, it was), I was convinced that this was well-past its "passing fancy-to-long passé" phase and way-past even my mild interest in listening to it and way, way, well-past my prime desire to own it any longer, and way, way, way beyond and out'ta my budget to sink any more money for "another copy" into...!

squeeze.gif

bigdollarsign.gif
:yawn:

Dave

Album Credits:

Backing Vocals: Booker T. Jones, Clydie King, Sherlie Matthews, Venetta Fields, Daniel Timms, Kim Carnes
Bass: Lee Sklar
Drums: Mike Baird, Sammy Creason
Guitar: Dean Parks, Jerry McGee
Harp: Gayle Levant
Organ, Synthesizer: Booker T. Jones
Piano: Mike Utley
Steel Guitar: Al Perkins
Tambourine, Congas: Bobbye Hall
Engineer: Kent Nebergal
Assistant Engineer(s): ?
Producer: David Anderle

Dave

I was never a huge Rita Coolidge fan, but I liked the hits that came from this album. I definitely enjoyed her version of "We're All Alone" better than Boz Scaggs' original.

Capt. Bacardi

Rita Coolidges version of Your Love Has Lifted Me Higher (Than I've Ever Been Lifted Before) aside from the extremely long title is one of my favorite songs of all time. I don't know exactly why, but it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom