🎵 AotW AOTW: Robin Wilson AIN'T THAT SOMETHING (A&M SP 4299)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Side One
Hands Off the Man (Flim Flam Man) 2:38/ I Don't Know How to Love Him 3:35/ Love Don't Let Me Down 2:45/ A House Built on Sand 3:55/ Bitter Honey 2:39/ Just Say Goodbye 3:01.

Side Two
Sooner or Later 2:54/ Try it Again 2:45/ Ain't That Something 2:12/ I Can't Make it Anymore 3:40/ Only Once 4:18.

Produced by Bob Alcivar for Mr. Bones Productions Inc./ Arrangements and orchestrations by Bob Alcivar/ Drums and percussion: Hal Blaine/ Bass: Joe Osborn and Max Bennett/ Piano and organ: Larry Knechtel/ Piano: Jimmy Rowles/ Guitars: Dennis Budimir, Mike Anthony, Louie Shelton & Zavier/ Ollie Mitchell Orchestra/ The Sid Sharp Strings/ Special thanks to Susie Tallman and her singers/ Engineers: Dick Bogert, Ray Gerhardt and Henry Lewy/ Production Assistant: Pam Vale/ Art Direction: Roland Young/ Design: Chuck Beeson/ Photography: Jim McCrary.

JB

Hands Off the Man (Flim Flam Man) ...Eh, much like Barbra Streisand's Version; but hers has different background vocalists & strings added, or at least mixed in better.

I Don't Know How to Love Him ...Done better by Yvonne Elliman, though Robin edges out Helen Reddy by more than a Hair; from JESUS CHRIST, SUPERSTAR, of coarse. :)

Love Don't Let Me Down ...Getting a bit lost out there, but still, Robin wanted to make a deeper, more emotional outing this time around.

A House Built on Sand ...Cliches Abound: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander, too"..."A House Built On Sand Cannot Stand; A Love Built On Lies Always Dies"...good philosophy! Much like "How a Leopard Changes Spots..." or "Having Your Cake and Eating It, Too". :wink:

Bitter Honey ...Paul Williams' composition done with an early group of his, Holy Mackerel, for those wondering where HIS version is.

Just Say Goodbye ...Very much like Robin's debut LP's "Walk Away", but "Use Your Head"...Side 2 is NOT quite as inspired.

Sooner or Later ...Pretty decent ballad with good vocal-interplay between Robin and her back-up singers.

Try it Again ...Written by (Keyboardist, Arranger, Composer) Mike O'Martian and presumably, horn player Tony Ortega, who co-wrote The Association's "Like Always" with member Larry Ramos and even Bob Alcivar; this may have been done by O'Martian's group, Brotherlove.

Ain't That Something ...Little bit of Camp here! The album comes back to life, though briefly.

I Can't Make it Anymore ...unusual or at least uncommon for a Gordon Lightfoot number to be included here, but one of Side 2's "Bright Spots".

Only Once ...OK, the spotty arrangements and a somewhat lack-luster support, despite the Bass & Drum Heavy Bones Howe Production and Sound are one thing, but Robin just sounds a bit unfinished singing away to the fading strings, tinkling piano and the strumming guitar, that seem to be beginning another song. A pretty sad tune, but compared to ROBIN WILSON, a sad album.

Produced by Bob Alcivar for Mr. Bones Productions Inc./ Arrangements and orchestrations by Bob Alcivar/ Drums and percussion: Hal Blaine/ Bass: Joe Osborn and Max Bennett/ Piano and organ: Larry Knechtel/ Piano: Jimmy Rowles/ Guitars: Dennis Budimir, Mike Anthony, Louie Shelton & Zavier/ Ollie Mitchell Orchestra/ The Sid Sharp Strings/ Special thanks to Susie Tallman and her singers/ Engineers: Dick Bogert, Ray Gerhardt and Henry Lewy/ Production Assistant: Pam Vale/ Art Direction: Roland Young/ Design: Chuck Beeson/ Photography: Jim McCrary.

Ah, Some Justice in This World... :wink: GOOD Musician Credits and recorded at A&M Studios---or maybe at Wally Heider with A&M's engineers? Well, despite the "Running Out Of Ideas", and the pseudo-5th Dimension backing, Robin Wilson carries out this second album fairly well. Just that she seemed a lot more "At Home" with the material and arrangements on her predecessor, while here, just seems too pressured under the weight of trying to top it. The two LP's might fit on One CD, while, as I've read somewhere here, that Robin would make a good Theatre Singer, as her earlier reading of "Soon It's Gonna Rain" indicates.

Kat :D

Thank you Kathy, for the coherent song-by-song analysis. Well-written, and you gave us plenty of insights. The LP title could be altered, as in,"Ain't That Mighta Been Something". The cover photo of a dour, homely Robin Wilson lacks spark and enthusiasm -- a tip-off to the contents inside. I'm sure the A&M execs were hoping this LP would connect with Streisand's fans, otherwise they would have left it on the shelf.

snapcrotch said:
Thank you Kathy, for the coherent song-by-song analysis. Well-written, and you gave us plenty of insights. The LP title could be altered, as in,"Ain't That Mighta Been Something". The cover photo of a dour, homely Robin Wilson lacks spark and enthusiasm -- a tip-off to the contents inside. I'm sure the A&M execs were hoping this LP would connect with Streisand's fans, otherwise they would have left it on the shelf.

Well, thank the 'Grant's Bargain-Basement' and (whose HOT BREATH is that on my shoulder??!! :twitchy: ) a CERTAIN collector, who at least picked this up for around $5 Bucks in Ann Arbor instead of ordering it online from some place in NORWAY...!! Now where's MY jade green velvet dress that I bought and actually wore those Thirty-Some years ago...??

Kat :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom