• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Seemon & Marijke SON OF AMERICA (A&M SP 4309)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Seemon & Marijke
SON OF AMERICA
sp4309.jpg

A&M SP 4309

'The Son of America' statue is a life-sized fibre-glass model of Hollywood stunt man Jack Tyrie.
Alternating coloured lights, pulsating on and off, like a heart beat, constantly change The Son of America's multicoloured body.
This (the inner sleeve photo) is a model of the 150-foot tall statue we want to put up in the Hollywood Hills, and we need your support to make this concept into a reality.
If you have any suggestions or would like more information please write to us c/o A&M Records Inc., P.O. box 782, Beverly Hills, Calif. 90213.'
Love,
Seemon & Marijke.

Seemon (Simon) Posthuma and Marijke Koger were clothing designers and album cover artists from Amsterdam. They later moved to London and formed The Fool - named in honor of the Beatles' "Fool on the Hill" - with Barry Finch and Josje Leeger. After one album, produced by Graham Nash and released in 1969, and a brief tour the group split up in 1970. Seemon & Marijke continued as a duo.

Side One: The Son of America 3:31, I Saw You 2:50, Keep on Keepin' On 3:28, Roselie 2:48, Vegetable Stew 2:52, The White Watch 0:43.

Side Two: It's All There 2:50, Twinsouls 3:25, Room 44 1:45, Sitting on a Hill Top 3:57, Everybody's Dancing 5:58.

All songs by Seemon & Marijke and published by Irving Music, Seemon & Marijke Music, and House of Jones Music (BMI).

Musical credits:
Seemon - words, music, design, bagpipe, bass clarinet, piano
Marijke - words, music, design, finger cymbals, piano
Morreen Thornton - lyrics, vocals
Rita Coolidge & Colleen Fortune - vocals
Richard Fortune - lead guitar
John Barbata - drums
Chris Ethridge - bass
Sneaky Pete - slide guitar/ George St. John - sax & oboe
Larry Cox - whiskers, engineer
Graham Nash - producer, vocals, tamborine, marxophone, arranger
King Charles, Mac Niles, Mario James, Gerald Lawrence - steel drums
Barry Finch - lyrics/ Frank Mayes - sax/ John Bonello - guitar
Nick DeCaro - accordian/ Simon Vinkenoog - lyrics
Kazem Razzazar - violin, oud
Booker T. Jones - organ
Alfonzo Rojo, Pancho Escalantes, Charles Lognata - Mariachi Trumpets
Jeronomo Velarino - flamenco guitar
Manoochehr Sadeghi - santur
Louis Sayegh - darbuka drums.

Biographical information source: Adri Verhoof's home page
www.alexgitlin.com

CD reissue: none yet.
JB
PS: My home copy was found in an Atlanta cutout bin for 19 cents plus tax.

I haven't seen the Inner Sleeve w/ Hollywood Stuntman John Tyrie (and lyrics) for years. My copy just had a plain white one, or maybe it was one with the 'latest' albums on it.

Don't have this one right now, but I think I saved the cover--neat w/ Seemon playing his guitar & Marijke playing some percussion on a rooftop w/ a gas station sign or billboard in the background. My vinyl was a W/L Promo copy.

Dave

...trying to remember this one... :|

Not too bad an album. One of those obscure finds that I enjoy and am glad I found, though I wonder what happened to the idea to build a 150 foot fiberglass many-hued lighted up statue in the Hollywood Hills!

--Mr Bill

About the statue. Guys, I sent my check to A&M several years ago. They haven't built the statue 'cause the rest of you haven't ponied up. Yes, I know, the interest on my contribution accumulated since SP 4309 was released in 1971 ought to be enough, but it's not too late to get those checks in.
LOL,
JB

I actually saw an eBay ad of this album, a couple months ago, with a photo of the LP, as well as the Inner-Sleeve, which is actually a Dark Blue fold-out with White writing...

On it are song lyrics as well as the details of statue of John Tyrie to be built, along with a picture (still not erected!)...

Haven't seen it recently, though. I really should have posted it (or a link) here when the auction was current.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom