• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Shawn Phillips FACES (A&M SP 4363)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Shawn Phillips
FACES

A&M SP4363

sp4363.jpg

SIDE ONE
Landscape 4:18/ 'L' Ballade 7:21/ Hey Miss Lonely 3:25/ Chorale 7:29.

SIDE TWO
Parisien Plight II 13:15/ We 3:30/ Anello (Where Are You) 2:27/ I Took A Walk 4:48.

Produced by Jonathan P. Weston for Philjo Music Inc., with the help of Robert Appere; Special thanks to Jerry Love and the Sheffield Brothers.
Original Cover drawing by Anthony Christian Howard; Back Cover Art by George Bartell; Art Direction by Roland Young.

All selections published by Dick James Music, Inc. (BMI) and written by Shawn Phillips.

Visit Shawn's website:

www.shawnphillips.com

JB

Whoo...! The LP's contents are a mixture of Phillips' Folky 'New Rennaissance-answer to Fairport Convention-meets a heavier Elton John' with slick, L.A. Session-studio trappings master-minded by Clover Studios' recording engineer, Robert Appére (fresh from engineering sessions with Earth, Wind & Fire and Jack Daugherty and ready to take on Renee Armand's Rain Book)

Enjoy listening to: "I Took A Walk", "Hey Miss Lonely", " 'L' Ballade" and "Chorale" (Which is almost just that!)... Once had "Anello (Where Are You)" on a Double-Sided White-Label Promotional '45', when I had Shawn's Best Of A&M Years CD, lacking that song, and didn't have this album, but had the rest of the songs from it I liked, there and on another 'Best Of' set...

Shawn also sings "Lost Horizon (Main-Theme from LOST HORIZON)", available on an A&M '45' (1405) as the B-Side of "Landscape", during the period of this LP's release, too...

Dave

Cover Image added to original post.

--Mr Bill
playing catch up after a month away from the corner...

Important news: I just visited the official Shawn Phillips website and found out that Faces has been reissued on CD, and it now includes the very rare bonus track, "A Christmas Song". I've been looking for this song for a few years now, and while I did see it on a compilation CD, it wasn't even the correct song! The CD seems to be available only through Shawn's site, but at a price of $14.98, it's a good price for this long out of print album.

I recently was involved in bidding on a UK A&M Christmas 2-LP set on eBay. It was like an extended version of SOMETHING FESTIVE and included the Shawn Phillips song. Sadly, I was outbid... :sad:

Harry

Harry said:
I recently was involved in bidding on a UK A&M Christmas 2-LP set on eBay. It was like an extended version of SOMETHING FESTIVE and included the Shawn Phillips song. Sadly, I was outbid... :sad:

Harry

Did they have a track listing posted for this one? I'm trying to gather up all the A&M-related songs that I can.

Yes. Track listing is as follows:

AMLC 4005
RECORD 1

SIDE 1

MERRY CHRISTMAS DARLING-THE CARPENTERS
WINTER WONDERLAND-HERB ALPERT
THE CHRISTMAS SONG-SERGIO MENDES
JINGLE BELLS-HERB ALPERT
SONG OF JOY-LONDON STEREO ORCH

Side 2

THE BELL THAT COULDNT JINGLE-HERB ALPERT
LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW-HERB ALPERT
GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN-JULIUS WECHTER AND THE BAJA MARIMBA BAND
ITS THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR-PETE JOLLY
SLEIGH RIDE-HERB ALPERT

RECORD 2

SIDE 1

RAGGEDY ANN AND RAGGEDY ANDY-LIZA MINNELLI
LAS MANANITAS-HERB ALPERT
PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE-JULIUS WECHTER AND THE BAJA MARIMBA BAND
SNOW-CLAUDINE LONGET
JINGLE BELL ROCK-HERB ALPERT

SIDE 2

MY FAVORITE THINGS-WE FIVE
ARRANJENEZ CON TU AMOR-SIMPATICO
JESU JOY OF MAN DESIRING-HERB ALPERT
DESIDERATA-GALLAHER AND LYLE
A CHRISTMAS SONG-SHAWN PHILLIPS

MCDLP.jpg

Harry

Harry said:
SONG OF JOY-LONDON STEREO ORCH
ARRANJENEZ CON TU AMOR-SIMPATICO
DESIDERATA-GALLAHER AND LYLE
A CHRISTMAS SONG-SHAWN PHILLIPS

Thanks for posting. Outside the Shawn Phillips song, the others don't sound familiar, other than the name Gallagher & Lyle. I'd go with the Miguel Rios version of "Song of Joy", but other than Shawn Phillips' song, are the other two even holiday songs?

Curious! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom