• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Squeeze - U.K. SQUEEZE (SP-4687)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Squeeze
U.K. SQUEEZE

A&M SP-4687

sp4687.jpg

SIDE ONE:

Sex Master 2:21
Bang Bang 2:04
Strong in Reason 4:14
Wild Sewerage Tickles Brasil 3:49
Out of Control 4:44
Take Me I'm Yours 3:46

SIDE TWO

The Call 5:17
Model 2:59
Remember What 2:51
First Thing Wrong 3:43
Hesitation (Rool Brittania) 3:45
Get Smart 2:06

Reissued as SP/CD 3185

http://www.squeezefan.com/discography/uksqueez.htm

JB

I added the image and text formatting...

A terrific debut by a terrific band (and we're finally getting to the start of the "new wave" era at A&M)...

Technically on this first LP the band was called "U.K. Squeeze" in the US since another band with the name "Squeeze" existed in the states. However any such dispute was resolved by the time their second LP came along the next year... A similar situation existed with the group known as "The English Beat" in the US. In the UK they're simply "The Beat" but because there was a group called "Paul Collins' Beat" Dave Wakeling and Ranking Roger had to add "English" to their name to avoid any "confusion."

My favorite cut is, without a doubt "Take Me I'm Yours" which was later covered by A&M stablemate Tim Curry on his third and final LP, Simplicity. And ALMOSounds act Pulsars also covered it as a non-LP cut.

Other standouts are "Strong In Reason" and "Bang Bang." The instrumental song "Wild Sewerage Tickles Brasil" is an interesting listen...

Squeeze reunbites in different forms fairly often and co leaders Difford & Tilbrook tour as solo acts as well from time to time. All are worth seeing. and Jools Holland, the original keyboardist hosts a popular UK music programme. (And his son later became Squeeze's keyboardist during one iteration).

The link Jim provided is a super-storehouse of info on the band.

--Mr Bill

I've been fortunate to catch several shows by Tilbrook, solo acoustic, as well as with his current band, the Fluffers, at intimate venues in Nashville and Chattanooga. Also caught Difford solo at 3rd & Lindsley in Nashville.

Anyone lucky enough to catch these guys, individually or collectively, on tour is guaranteed to have a great time. The energy is contagious!

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom