• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

AOTW: The Revolutionary Ensemble - The People's Republic

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The Revolutionary Ensemble -
THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC

A&M/Horizon SP-708

sp708.jpg

Released 1976

Format: Vinyl

Produced by Ed Michel
Creative Director: John Snyder

Musicians:

Leroy Jenkins - Violin, Viola, Vocal, Thumb Piano, Claves, Recorder, Small Gong
Sirone - Bass, Trombone, Vocal, Bells, Shaker, Wood Block, Large Gong
Jerome Cooper - Drums, Bugle, Piano, Vocal, Balafon, Temple Blocks, Wood Block, Gong, Bell Gong, Saw, Tympani

Songs:
  • 1. New York (Leroy Jenkins) 6:22
    2. Trio For Trio (Leroy Jenkins) 6:45
    3. Chinese Rock (Jerome Cooper) 6:28
    4. The People's Republic (Sirone) 9:42
    5. Ponderous Planets (Jerome Cooper) 11:00

Engineering by Baker Bigsby, assisted by Geoff Sykes.
Inspiration by China Swyne.
Recorded, mixed and mastered at Kendun Recorders, Burbank, California on December 4, 5 and 6, 1975.

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Phil Shima
Front Cover Illustration: Brian Zick/Star Studios
Back Cover Photography: Harry Mittman
Inside Illustrations: Kenneth McGowan

Liner notes: Peter Occhiogrosso

Capt. Bacardi

If anyone is curious as to the meaning of "out" in music, then this album will provide the answer. This album falls under the umbrella of the AACM (Artists for the Advancement of Creative Music), which basically means there's very little in any real structure as we usually define structure. Most of this is a violin screeching throughout with an odd bass line thrown in and some cymbal work. Only on "Ponderous Planets" is there a familiar theme, and then only after some rather neat tympani/gong/woodblocks rhythms that actually create a bit of a groove, with Leroy Jenkins finally playing a bit of a swing fiddle. The rest of this album had me wondering "Just what in the hell was that?" This is somewhat similar to Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman's Song X, which isn't a good thing.

When it comes to creative music I try to be as open-minded as possible. But I was completely lost on this. I gave this 2 stars just for "Ponderous Planets", and I'm being very generous with that.

One neat thing is the album cover, which is sort of a spoof of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
This is somewhat similar to Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman's Song X, which isn't a good thing.

You can say THAT again! I've listened to Song X maybe three times in the past decade. Either you "get" that kind of music, or you don't.

Still...it has to be more listenable than Zero Tolerance for Silence...? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom