• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW AOTW: Tim Weisberg HURTWOOD EDGE (A&M SP 4352)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Tim Weisberg
Hurtwood Edge

A&M SP4352

sp4352.jpg

SIDE ONE
Tibetan Silver 4:09/ Burlington Skyway 3:18/ Hurtwood Edge 5:00/ Another Time 2:52/ Tyme Cube 3:36/ Cement City 4:05.

SIDE TWO
Summers Past 3:05/ Molly Mundane 4:40/ Maat 5:03/ Our Thing 3:09/ Ojai 2:24/ Song For Lisa 3:01.

Lynn Blessing - vibes, marimba & keyboards
Art Johnson - guitars & mandolin
Dave Parlato - bass & piano
Tim Weisberg - flute, alto flute, E flat flute & bass flute

Producer & Engineer: Dick Bogert/ Arrangements by Tim Weisberg & Fred Selden

With deepest appreciation: Max Bennett (bass), David Spinoza (guitars - courtesy of A&M Records), Larry Carlton & Louie Shelton (guitars), Larry Knechtel (keyboards - courtesy of Electra Records), Clarence McDonald (organ), Mike Melvoin (piano), Jim Gordon (drums & percussion), Joe Porcaro (percussion), Fred Seldon (alto & tenor sax), Bud Shank (alto, tenor & soprano sax), Gene Cipriano (baritone sax & bass clarinet), John Lowe (baritone & bass sax), Buddy Childers & Ollie Mitchell (trumpet & flugelhorn), Vincent DeRosa & Bob Henderson (french horn), Jeff Reynolds & Jim Sawyer (trombone), Erno Neufeld & Marshall Sosson (violin), Virginia Majewski (viola), Edgar Lustgarten (cello), Gayle Levant (harp), Jackie Ward & Sally Stevens (vocals).

Special thanks to: Jim Gordon, Fred Katz, Chuck Kaye, Michael Jackson, Barry Hirsch, David Williams, Elliott Abbott, Luella Howard, Sandi Smart, Dot and Jules.
Flutes by Wm. S. Haynes & Artley Barcus-Berry Inc.
Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Chuck Beeson
Photography: Jim McCrary.

CD reissue: None
Chart Position: None

JB

Hmmm...only Tim Weisberg album I found listenable, though all the songs (if I remember, written by him) seem to sound alike...!

My old Silver & Tan-labeled copy I found in a "Rock Section" at one store is still at a store (in the Jazz section) I traded it at, too...!

Tried the others he released before this one, too; not even his remake of "Killing Me Softly" could excite me, either...!

Dave

But, to point out Tim Weisberg's LP's GOOD Qualities, he does blow some good chops! And plays with the inspirations of Herbie Mann, The improvasions of Hubert Laws, the visions of Paul Horn, the stylings of Bud Shank, the innovations of Jeremy Steig...

There are some good, pain-free moments of Hurtwood Edge that I did enjoy... And the Big, Stellar Cast of Musicians...!

I remember having one album Tim played on with Paul Horn, which had some Neo-Classical-like Chamber Music pieces, and began with a cover of "The Look Of Love" and ended with a remake of "Light My Fire"; it was some group I don't remember the name of and featured a guitarist, bassist, drummer and piano player; the cover photo showed them all dressed-up in Middle Ages attire... And it was on the Cadet label and actually Recorded at A&M...! :!:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom